Sign in to follow this  
d0ublestr0ker0ll

"The Last Dance" - '97/'98 Bulls

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I kinda get why he was there.  Him getting punched in the face is kind of a pinnacle moment of showcasing MJ's intensity and the message that MJ was trying to get across to his teammates...he just took it too far.  Kerr probably doesn't get as much air time on this documentary if he hasn't gone on to be a successful coach but he also represents the Jordan teammates that weren't superstars.  He is also the only teammate, IIRC, that stood up to Jordan.  He hit Jordan in the chest before taking it in the face.  And that story showed that Jordan gave him more respect after they patched things up and apologized.

I did think it was weird that they lumped him in on the promo shot:

Pippen, Jordan, Rodman and Jackson are enough there.  Steve Kerr is out of place.  But if you had to pick a 4th Bull to put on this poster, wouldn't it have been Kukoc?

Nope, Kerr absolutely gets the nod over Kukoc.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Nope, Kerr absolutely gets the nod over Kukoc.

Ya, isn't Kerr only one in that photo to get a ring after '98 except Phil? And did it as a coach, too.

This miniseries more I think about it isn't for the folks that already knew all this, it's for the folks that didn't.  The folks that didn't know who Kerr was until he coached the team that was supposed to beat this one walking backwards, and clarify why the Warriors wouldn't.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya, isn't Kerr only one in that photo to get a ring after '98 except Phil? And did it as a coach, too.

This miniseries more I think about it isn't for the folks that already knew all this, it's for the folks that didn't.  The folks that didn't know who Kerr was until he coached the team that was supposed to beat this one walking backwards, and clarify why the Warriors wouldn't.

it ended up being more hagiography than I was led to believe was going to be in it. It was entertaining, especially for the nostalgia, but I don't see myself revisiting the series.

Haven't seen the last two episodes yet. Did they not mention Kerrs time with the Spurs? Dude's like the first player since the old Celtics to be on 4 straight championship teams.

Kerr deserved his time. Paxton got a nice amount of time during the first 3 peat. Kerr represents the best non star of the 2nd 3 peat, he’s well spoken, funny, insightful and has himself a great personal story full of success in addition to a single great story when he fought Jordan. It was a nice buildup to Jordan going to him in that moment when Kerr wins the Finals for them. 

Plus he’s probably be most relevant person in the current nba that’s appeared in the documentary 

• Like 3

Well I didnt see this coming as a result of this series,but it doesn't surprise me being at how slow sports news is right now. 

I'll have to find another interview where he kind of takes the trainer to task about his version of things. Lol.. slow sports time indeed. 

• Haha 1

I'm one of the few people who isn't a Pats fan but likes Brady, and even I wouldn't want to watch that.

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

Unless he was the kingpin behind Hernandez, Brady's story aint that interesting.

We need a documentary on Marvin Harrison. How you go from a square wide receiver to possible cold blooded killer.

10 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

We need a documentary on Marvin Harrison. How you go from a square wide receiver to possible cold blooded killer.

Who gonna speak against that man?

A whole lot of "never seen him, or spoke to him", and that's from the people who played with him

• Like 1

I'm having a hard time understanding why old teammates are coming out and blasting Jordan for what's been portrayed here.  Specifically in regards to Pippen.

Pretty sure he called Pippen his best teammate ever.

Pippen admitted that he didn't want to **** up his summer for knee surgery prior to the final season, Jordan called him selfish.  I don't think Pippen was NOT being selfish, he absolutely was.  He put himself before the team.  But he was adored by his teammates so they overlooked it.

They rehashed Pippen not taking the shot in the '94 Playoffs, sitting on the bench to let Kukoc take it.  And then if asked if he had to do it all over again, he DOUBLED DOWN and said he wouldn't change anything?

Also pretty sure in the last episode they gave Pippen some shine when he gutted out a game with his back injury and talked about how he stepped up.

Pippen did some self inflicted damage to himself.  It's part of the story.  The documentary doesn't overlook it or shy away from it.  

In regards to Jordan, yeah he was a bully but...didn't we all know that?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

ESPN has jumped the shark. No one wants this.

Didn't really want Jordan, after finding out exactly what it was

40 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm having a hard time understanding why old teammates are coming out and blasting Jordan for what's been portrayed here.  Specifically in regards to Pippen.

Pippen admitted that he didn't want to **** up his summer for knee surgery prior to the final season, Jordan called him selfish.  I don't think Pippen was NOT being selfish, he absolutely was.  He put himself before the team.  But he was adored by his teammates so they overlooked it.

They rehashed Pippen not taking the shot in the '94 Playoffs, sitting on the bench to let Kukoc take it.  And then if asked if he had to do it all over again, he DOUBLED DOWN and said he wouldn't change anything?

Also pretty sure in the last episode they gave Pippen some shine when he gutted out a game with his back injury and talked about how he stepped up.

Pippen did some self inflicted damage to himself.  It's part of the story.  The documentary doesn't overlook it or shy away from it.  

Agreed about Pippen.  Unless he'd like to be left out of all this entirely, I'm not sure how he could really be upset.  Then again, I haven't actually seen anything from Scottie actually saying he was po'd about it, just rumors.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Agreed about Pippen.  Unless he'd like to be left out of all this entirely, I'm not sure how he could really be upset.  Then again, I haven't actually seen anything from Scottie actually saying he was po'd about it, just rumors.

Yep, it's a lot of speculation but the sources seem pretty legit:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/scottie-pippen-beyond-livid-at-michael-jordan-for-portrayal-in-the-last-dance-report-says/

On 5/21/2020 at 2:11 PM, Cooked Crack said:

ESPN has jumped the shark. No one wants this.

I'd have to agree. Jason McIntyre brought up a good point. The intrigue with the pre-2000s players is that we knew very little about what went on behind the scenes. That isn't the case with current athletes. 

I don't begrudge Jordan using whatever he can to motivate himself. But I got real sick of hearing about the instances of "disrespect", with what seemed like a ridiculous level of entitlement and invented victimhood.

"This guy looked me in the face, and I couldn't believe he would treat me that way. He had to pay."

"That guy didn't look me in the face, and I couldn't believe he would treat me that way. He had to pay."

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't begrudge Jordan using whatever he can to motivate himself. But I got real sick of hearing about the instances of "disrespect", with what seemed like a ridiculous level of entitlement and invented victimhood.

"This guy looked me in the face, and I couldn't believe he would treat me that way. He had to pay."

"That guy didn't look me in the face, and I couldn't believe he would treat me that way. He had to pay."

He's crazy. I figure the entire documentary was a celebration of said craziness.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

In regards to Jordan, yeah he was a bully but...didn't we all know that?

I think Pippen should be pissed off because this documentary really did nothing but pay lip service to his contributions on the team with that best teammate ever stuff and instead continued to put him on the defensive highlighting his worst moments like the migraine (never once mentioning Pippen's father had died a week earlier), 1.8, the contract stuff. It hardly ever showed his talent, skill or great moments and that's no shock because Pippen's greatest moments usually came when Jordan wasn't playing so hot. There was no balance. It was one long Jordan infomercial showing his greatest hits.  

11 minutes ago, AJ* said:

I think Pippen should be pissed off because this documentary really did nothing but pay lip service to his contributions on the team with that best teammate ever stuff and instead continued to put him on the defensive highlighting his worst moments like the migraine (never once mentioning Pippen's father had died a week earlier), 1.8, the contract stuff. It hardly ever showed his talent, skill or great moments and that's no shock because Pippen's greatest moments usually came when Jordan wasn't playing so hot. There was no balance. It was one long Jordan infomercial showing his greatest hits.  

They showed plenty of his highlights and talked about how great he was when Jordan was gone. There were also clips of Jordan talking about how there is no Jordan without Pippen and guys like Kerr and Kukoc talking about how much of a calming influence Pip was in the locker room(compared to the tyrannical Jordan).

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 7:15 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

Michael didn't really shy away from that though.  His facial expressions alone indicate he was well aware that he used to do this to get himself up.

The fact of the matter is, in order to be as dominant as MJ was, you have to have somewhat of a screw loose.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2020 at 11:03 PM, PCS said:

Well I didnt see this coming as a result of this series,but it doesn't surprise me being at how slow sports news is right now. 

I'll have to find another interview where he kind of takes the trainer to task about his version of things. Lol.. slow sports time indeed. 

I can't ****ing stand that squirrelly **** Cowherd but holy ****, could he at least prepare a bit for this interview?  I'm 1 minute in and he didn't know what night the incident happened nor where the location of the pizza place was. 

On 5/22/2020 at 7:15 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't quite understand how you can mean/believe both things in your first paragraph. If you know that he's using whatever means he can to motivate himself, then the "invented victimhood" is what comes with it.