Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Snyder win your support back without a Super Bowl win???

Can Snyder win your support back without a Super Bowl win???  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Can Snyder win your support back without a Super Bowl???

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • Too early
    • Aren't you the guy who made two protest threads??? You mad suspect right now...

I get that much of what we say about him has been deserved.  And that it's too early to say he's turned a new leaf. 

But it does look like something has changed for the better, and there's a lot of good he can do even if we can't play football yet.

I don't want this to be another Covid thread, Tailgate has enough of them.  I think it's worth a conversation that there is very little way for his reputation to go but up right now, and so far I think he's off to a good start:

If we want to say it isn't Snyder making these decisions, then we have to give him credit for hiring the people to make those decisions and get out the way. Can't have cake and eat it too, keeping conversation honest.

I'm not ready to defend Snyder, I'm curious for many that felt there was no way we could win a Super Bowl with him as the owner, and as hard as it is to win one anyway, can get on the path to calm that virtol down, or maybe go in reverse, forgiveness, moving on, whatever you want to call it, even if he doesn't achieve the ultimate prize of the sport before the franchise passes on to another owner.  

We've talked before about the impact this franchise can make beyond just the field.  I'm not talking about idealist hypotheticals, I'm asking can you change your mind on hating Synder even if he doesn't win a super bowl, given how many jus a couple months said that might not be enough.

It's anonymous, but im voting "too early" with door open for good news where I can find it. The product has to change on the field, I'm going to these games and seeing it with my own eyes...it just has to, we aren't out the danger zone yet.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

I’m inclined to say no, simply because there are too many hurdles and the past cut too deeply.  But... the franchise can win back my support.  Tickets and merchandise - they might benefit Snyder, but I won’t be purchasing them because of a newfound trust or appreciation for him.    

Has little to do with a Super Bowl trophy though.  I just want respectability, savvy, some playoff wins, and yes, good culture.  Might be heavily subjective, but I want things done right (consistently) for a change.  

• Like 2

Snyder win me back?... He never lost me to begin with. That's because he never had me lol...

Said long ago on here that, for me, the Redskins are not Snyder, nor any other owner we've had. They were not Bruce or Bethard or any other front office executive. They aren't any active player, either, and only a handful of retired players. The Redskins for me are the franchise, it's history, it's name and logo, and every experience I've had following them.

So to that end, would the Redskins win me back with a SB victory?...No...because they never lost me. My interest may ebb and flow over the seasons but I've invested the majority of my life into being a Skins fan. That's not gonna go away easily or anytime soon.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

The jersey I support never said Snyder on it. Can he get me to personally hate him less and not criticize him as much in the future without a SB? Sure, I'm young enough to experience decades and decades more of his ownership for better or worse. I need to see a lot of 12+ win seasons to balance the scales, a lot of positive organizational stability, a long history of not only doing things the right way but being known around the league as a team that has recovered not just respectability but enviability. 

That's what it'll take for me to make the full-throated switch to "Snyder used to be garbage but I like him now and he's a good owner". 

• Like 1

When I first became a fan, it was the "team" that I was attracted to. The team consisted of the players, the name, the colours, logo and Gibbs. I had no idea who the owner was and didn't care. it was a few years before I became aware that JKC was the owner and when Snyder took over in the late 90's, I still didn't care

To be honest, it wasn't until I joined ES about 10 years ago that I started to realise how much Snyder was influencing the team in a negative way and I started to dislike him. More recently my dislike moved from just Snyder, to the FO, which was an amalgamation of Snyder and Allen.

The undynamic duo have now parted ways and Dan has a chance to redeem himself. He's made a fairly good start but he's got a lot of bad/stupid/****ty moves to erase before I'll stop disliking him.

I will always support the team, I'll often support the coach. Will I ever support the owner? I doubt it, but who knows?

Edited by London Kev
6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Snyder win me back?... He never lost me to begin with. That's because he never had me lol...

Said long ago on here that, for me, the Redskins are not Snyder, nor any other owner we've had. 

This isn't a "redskins win you back thread", many of us figured out how to get through this as fans while putting a lot of energy into getting rid of Snyder. 

I'm leaving door open to not feeling that way anymore, it was never healthy to begin with and got to the point of being damn near impossible to ignore.

I respect what you saying, but that's really not why I started the thread.  It's been my peace to expect folks part of the franchise to come and go.  Look how bad of an effect he had on people being fans anymore jus 6 months ago when it became clear hed still be here for decades, it matters, some just couldn't take it anymore. 

It wasn't an NFL franchise anymore, it was full-blown tone deaf Ashburnistan round here.  The whole thing was heading towards total collapse with die hard being the last to go, at least generations of fans already gone before they started.

I can disconnect my fandom from acknowledging he exists, but I sometimes look to where his box is when I'm in the stadium watching us get shredded in person with stadium full other team's fans. For me, I lost faith it would ever change with him still in there, I know I'm not the only one hoping that's not the case.

• Like 1

Is watching Redskins football year in year out never missing a game and occasionally buying a hat considered supporting snyder?

Washington Redskins football fan from a young child to today..and tommorow..and the next year and the year after and forever ever a supporter of my chosen favorite football team the Washington Redskins.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This isn't a "redskins win you back thread", many of us figured out how to get through this as fans while putting a lot of energy into getting rid of Snyder. 

I'm leaving door open to not feeling that way anymore, it was never healthy to begin with and got to the point of being damn near impossible to ignore.

I respect what you saying, but that's really not why I started the thread.  It's been my peace to expect folks part of the franchise to come and go.  Look how bad of an effect he had on people being fans anymore jus 6 months ago when it became clear hed still be here for decades, it matters, some just couldn't take it anymore. 

It wasn't an NFL franchise anymore, it was full-blown tone deaf Ashburnistan round here.  The whole thing was heading towards total collapse with die hard being the last to go, at least generations of fans already gone before they started.

I can disconnect my fandom from acknowledging he exists, but I sometimes look to where his box is when I'm in the stadium watching us get shredded in person with stadium full other team's fans. For me, I lost faith it would ever change with him still in there, I know I'm not the only one hoping that's not the case.

You started this thread to ask fans how Snyder can win back their support and if a SB win would do it. I answered by saying no owner has ever--and will ever--have my support. The team will have it, always. But never the owner. Doesn't matter to me whether or not I like or trust Snyder. He won't push me away from supporting the team and he won't bring me back to supporting it more. He's a guy.

Yes. I've made my piece that there will never be another Dynasty in my lifetime. Just another out of nowhere title a la New Orleans Saints/ Chicago Cubs.

So yes... If I can have one more Washington Redskins championship experience then I don't care what happens after.... even a name change.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You started this thread to ask fans how Snyder can win back their support and if a SB win would do it. I answered by saying no owner has ever--and will ever--have my support. The team will have it, always. But never the owner. Doesn't matter to me whether or not I like or trust Snyder. He won't push me away from supporting the team and he won't bring me back to supporting it more. He's a guy.

Got it, and not saying anything is wrong with that. Just that wasn't what OP was about. 

Not everyone was going to stick it out, I think that's fair all things considered, Snyder had pushed the fan base where i didn't blame anyone for leaving even if I stayed.  But id be lying if I said this experience didnt have an effect on my fandom. 

I've gone on record admiting to that.

50 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Is watching Redskins football year in year out never missing a game and occasionally buying a hat considered supporting snyder?

No.  Being a fan of the team doesn't require anything in regards to Snyder, let alone supporting him.

I've resisted the notion that staying a fan was somehow enabling him, that would've risked the franchise leaving without a replacement, which some people wanted at this point less then six months ago. 

Edit: I'm glad we are somewhat distracted from the wounds in the fan base for calling out fans for still going to the games, I'm find with moving on and hoping for the best going forward.  This is supposed to be a hope thread, not a call out thread.

Edited by Renegade7

He got back on track when gruden was fired!  Than he doubled down when Bruce was let go.  With those two moves.  It's already enuff to at least have some hope! 

They don't have to win the super bowl.  Just start playing games like they care.  

I need to see a pattern of honest, ethical behavior and decision making, in addition to hiring quality football people, staying out of their way, and giving them the tools to succeed. He's already off to a good start on the latter.

Snyder never really had or lost my support.  I am a fan of the team and will always be a fan.  Now, if he does like he did during the Bruce era; I probably won't care much.

Dan has to stay out and let Ron, Kyle, etc... do their jobs.  He does that and we become consistent winners; that's what he needs.  A superbowl will be nice, but as long as we are in contention for one; that's good.  Once you are in the playoffs, you never know what can happen.  Also, with only one team with a playoff bye; we don't how that will playout.

Nah.

After what we've experienced for 20 years, good intentions or otherwise, the ultimate goal of being a fan of a team is to have that team win it all.  

After EVERYTHING we've been through, no, nothing short of the ultimate prize will do.  That'll make it worth it.  Otherwise it's just a continuation of the "almost" promise, just in perpetuity.

If he puts together a competitive franchise that's in the playoffs more seasons than not AND gets a nice stadium built in a good location, I will move from hating him to just strongly disliking him. It's gonna take a SB for anything more than that, though

• Like 1

Yes

Small baby steps are being done.  Look at how Fedex Field is lit up to support healthcare workers.  Look at the redskins media account.  There is a clear emphasis on how this organization should operate now from top to bottom.  

The Nats did it when Lerner got here without the wins.  As the playoff wins were painful, you knew the nats were going to win a ship, and they did.  

Edited by skinfan2k
  • Like 2

Probably at least 2 10+ regular season wins and at least 1 playoff win each year or a cfg in year two. SB not needed and may cause me to lose faith one last time if not followed up by a playoff run.

I support the team. I want them to  win. I could care less about Dan's public perception. I will say that he's not a bad guy for what he's done in the background for DC kids. To me, the media can just as well start a positive narrative on Dan and change the mind of a lot of folks here. It has and always be about winning. 

Edited by joeken24
add

Presumably if we win a super bowl, it would be because the team is better run.  This would mean Snyder is not as involved/meddlesome compared to decades past.  It seems so far he is allowing others to run the team.  We have heard this trope before so who knows how accurate it is.  If we win a super bowl in the next few years based on this current trajectory (which likely won't happen), then I think a lot of people will support Snyder for finally learning from his mistakes.  By contrast, if we had won the super bowl in 2012, it would feel like a fluke and likely the team would have imploded soon thereafter.   

Support back? That implies he had support to start with. The individual has destroyed the franchise and has treated it as a personal play toy. Anything he does now is way too little way too late and is out of total desperation to save his own reputation. He doesn't care about football, doesn't care about the NFL, doesn't care about the Washington Redskins as a sports team (only as a personal celebrity enhancer) and last but far from least, could absolutely not care any less about the fans other than as a source of income. Now the problem is that he has devalued the franchise so much that he can't unload it for anything close to what he thinks he deserves so the only way out is an eventual take over by the NFL.

Dan's Wikipedia Page

"Under Snyder, the Redskins sued season ticket holders who were unable to pay during the 2008–2009 U.S. recession. Snyder did this despite his claim that there are over 200,000 people on the season ticket waiting list. Partway through the 2009 season, Snyder banned all signs from FedExField, leading to further fan discontentment. The ban was lifted shortly thereafter."

A lot about Snyder sucks/sucked, but this was the one that really turned me against him. It isn't about meddling, or showing star players special treatment. This shows the character of the guy.

Early mistakes were "because he was a young/new owner", but this was 10 years in. I'd like to think he's better than that now, but who really knows? For me, it's hard to think of him having a Grinch "his heart grew 3 sizes"-type of change.

I’m rooting for the team. My respect for Dan has nothing to do with it. Just like I don’t always agree with some of the sentiments of the posters here but I’ll bask in the glory of a win with em regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

A run comparable to the Andy Reid-era Eagles would re-earn my support. All I require from the Redskins is stability and competence.   

• Like 2

If Snyder allows the football people to make the decisions for the team and mostly butts out, that will be a huge step for me.  If he allows poor decision making to continue without removing the ones making the bad decisions, then he's going to be right back where he was last fall.

Posted (edited)

Only if Dan can fix the covid-19 situation. He would be my hero!

As for the Redskins THE TEAM, it has never lost me. Disappointed yes. Like to see couple of SB wins before I am 90 years old though.

Edited by zskins