Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS QUOTES - Darby

TK

April 3, 2020

CB Ronald Darby

On what attracted him to the Redskins:

“I just thought I would’ve been a good fit, I respect the head coach and I just think things could change around here. I feel like it was a great move.”

On how his injury history has affected his development:

“I’m good right now. I feel great right now, but you know it is tough coming off the ACL and then going right back into the season. Last year was tough for me. My main thing was I just wanted to finish that year without a major injury or nothing like that so I could have a full offseason to train and take care of my body, and that’s what I’ve been doing.”

On what it means to play against the Eagles after spending three seasons in Philadelphia:

“I mean, it’s crazy. I’m grateful for the opportunity in Washington. I’m from the DMV area, so I grew up a Redskins fan. Just to come back home to play for the team I grew up loving is really something huge. I get to go against my old teammates twice a year, so that’ll be fun.”

On his respect and familiarity with Head Coach Ron Rivera:

“I just know him from Carolina. I believe it was last year or the year before last he gave me a shout-out saying he respected how I play and things like that before we played Carolina like two years ago. His defenses have been good, corners that have played in his defense got paid.”

On whether he’s spoken to the coaches about how he would be used in the defense:

“I haven’t had that much talk. You know we’ve been on lockdown due to the virus and stuff like that.”

On if he feels like he has something to prove this season:

“Every year, even if you played good last year, you’re going to always have something to prove, whether you played good or bad. This year I go in and I’ve always got something to prove, but of course I feel like I’ve got a lot more to prove due to the fact this is my second one-year deal and things like that. So my main focus is to take care of my body and stay healthy, and go out there and make plays.”

On his market as a free agent this offseason:

“I mean, I pretty much expected it. You know, I got hurt the past two seasons. I got really hurt last year and this year I had my little injuries or whatever, but I expected it. It’s something I can control at the end of the day, so it ain’t nothing crazy.”

On what he hopes his role will be this upcoming season:

“Just to be an impact in any way I need to be on the defense. Go out there and make plays.”

On his training during the pandemic:

“Before they started the lockdown and things like that, before they shut cities down, I was training for the past two months. You know, just working on my strength, balance, core and then my stride, deep tissue, things like that, stretching more.”

On if he thinks he can return to being a playmaker at the cornerback position:

“As the corner I know I am, I’m a great corner. I had to battle obstacles and stuff like that, and at the end of the day whether you’re hurt or good you still got to go out there and perform. You can’t always have excuses. I know that I can be the person that I am, that I’ve shown.”

On what he thinks about the Redskins secondary and overall defense:

“I think it’s a special group and a talented group. Three of us are from the DMV area, [CB Kendall] Fuller and Sean Davis. I’ve known Sean and Fuller since high school, so excited to be training with them. I see a lot of potential.”

On what it meant to his family and friends when they heard he’d be returning home:

“It was exciting, but they were like I’ve just got to keep my head on straight because it can be a distraction if you let it be because a lot of people are going to be reaching out, wanting to come to games, things like that. They were like I just got to keep my head on right, just focus. They were all excited though. They were all excited for me.”

On the Redskins front four and how the addition of Ohio State DE Chase Young can help the secondary:

“I mean, it can do a lot. The quicker you can get the ball out of the QB’s hands, the more aggressive you can play as a DB and things like that. If you trust your up front to provide that pressure, it allows you to play more aggressive with things and more comfortable.”

4 hours ago, TK said:

On what it means to play against the Eagles after spending three seasons in Philadelphia:

“I mean, it’s crazy. I’m grateful for the opportunity in Washington. I’m from the DMV area, so I grew up a Redskins fan. Just to come back home to play for the team I grew up loving is really something huge. I get to go against my old teammates twice a year, so that’ll be fun.”

I didn't know Darby was from this area.

That means three potential players in our secondary (Darby, Sean Davis, and Kendall Fuller) grew up in this area and wanted to play here.

Archived