Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)

JSSkinz

I couldn't find a thread specifically dedicated to discussing our thoughts on how our new coach and structure are doing as we move through free agency and head into the draft and hopefully the season.

This is for anything and everything related to Ron, Dan, the front office, and the team.  How are they handling themselves on and off the field, public perception, and the Redskins brand.  A standalone coaching thread is probably needed for the X's and O's type stuff but Ron is part of the FO and he is tasked with building the franchise so he has to be held accountable for the business decisions this team makes as well.

I don't expect there is much to say just yet but I'm sure there will be plenty to discuss after the draft.

I'll start off with an article that is showing some Redskins goodwill, there's definitely been a change in how the Redskins run social media, much more light hearted, that's just my opinion and has nothing to do with the article but its a step.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Bit of an understatement by Kiem there. I dont think it can be understated what a complete mishmash of misplaced parts this past coaching staff was, especially on defense. No one knew what they were supposed to do.

I read his full chain of tweets on it. He was referring there of the disconnect between the front office and the coaching staff as for player acquisition not always fitting to wants and scheme.

It plays into what Doug once said about they don’t factor scheme to player acquisition.

I've started from a position of liking and respecting Ron Rivera, and so far he hasn't done anything to change this. He appears to be in charge, has a no-nonsense attitude, and seems to be building depth in FA so that we can hopefully go weighted BPA in the draft.

Although I've been mostly underwhelmed by the quality of the signings so far, from what I've read they seem to be good guys who will want to prove themselves. If I put on my homer glasses, this can be viewed as a positive.

After some contemplation, I now think that the signing of Kyle Allen was a smart move by Rivera. He knows the system, which may be important considering that pre-season could be disrupted, and he is probably a perfect rival for Haskins.

As alluded to in the OP, it's too early to make any definitive judgements. But so far.... not bad, which is an improvement over previous regimes.

Is Kyle Smiff still on a trial-basis as de facto GM until after the draft?... I think that was what was initially reported, right? Basically that a new GM wouldn't be brought in until after the draft, if at all...and that if Rivera is impressed with Kyle up until then they'll just keep rolling with him...

Man, it sucks not having the time to goof off--er, I mean, peruse the forum daily for all my Redskins info.

*In case my boss reads this board lol...

19 minutes ago, dyst said:

Things are fine, but it's only been 3 months or so. Eventually Dan will do what Dan does. 

Maybe. It's entirely possible. But for the 1st time in his tenure, Snyder doesn't have a silver-tounged sycophant "GM" in his ear. That alone makes it a much different situation. 

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Maybe. It's entirely possible. But for the 1st time in his tenure, Snyder doesn't have a silver-tounged sycophant "GM" in his ear. That alone makes it a much different situation. 

I want to stay positive but that would require me to place the blame on someone else over the course of 23 years. Seems with this guy, it is always someone else's fault.

Just read in Washington Post that Bob Kraft sent his Patriots plane to China and bought tons of masks and they are going to hospitals in Massachusetts and New York.

So after the story I start reading comments from people and this one guy says- "What is Snyder doing?  Sending a row boat to China?"  I just had to laugh.

42 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Just read in Washington Post that Bob Kraft sent his Patriots plane to China and bought tons of masks and they are going to hospitals in Massachusetts and New York.

So after the story I start reading comments from people and this one guy says- "What is Snyder doing?  Sending a row boat to China?"  I just had to laugh.

Actually the Redskins jumped in early to help.

Under the BS, sorry DS, regime the Washington NFL team has had several "good" off seasons. A couple even with Super Bowl expectations. Then they start playing those wascally games. What happens between now and whenever the 2020 version of the NFL starts doing things that count in the standings means absolutely nada. Good luck Ron.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

I want to stay positive but that would require me to place the blame on someone else over the course of 23 years. Seems with this guy, it is always someone else's fault.

Totally agree. Dan Snyder has been a **** owner for 21 years. His main problem over the years is choosing the wrong people to surround himself with--Cerrato, Allen, and other associated yes men. He said we needed a culture change. Will it last? Who knows. A lot of long-time people here have been let go: namely Eric Shaffer (for better or worse on that one.) Larry Hess needed to be shot out of a cannon. They're all gone--there isn't anyone in the FO that has been here 15-16-17 years (I think). 

8 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

thumb_there-is-an-old-proverb-vulcan-onl

My biggest issue with the work thus far (minus my well documented issues with the QB situation and how we now have not one but two flag football QBs) is that I think we picked up depth without picking up any real gamers (what did Scott call them, blue chip? Red chip?);  I actually do not feel like the team is any better talent wise than they ended the season last year, but perhaps the sum is more than the parts and these guys all fit in RR's grand vision ?  I almost wonder if they are going in for 20' being a development year and 21 being the year to truly compete.

54 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

I actually do not feel like the team is any better talent wise than they ended the season last year, but perhaps the sum is more than the parts and these guys all fit in RR's grand vision ?

I don't believe talent was entirely the problem last year. I certainly don't believe we were any better than a 7-win team or so, we weren't as bad as our record indicated. In addition, I am okay with what we did in free agency. Other than Cooper, I don't think there was really anyone worth breaking the bank on--unless you think Hooper deserves to be the highest paid TE in football.

I think we need another year of sucking.   At least be in the Top 10 for the 2021 draft. The worse the better. WE can find more younger players.  If we truly suck again and end up with a Top 5 pick; then that means Dwayne didn't pan out and we would be in position to get his replacement.

5 hours ago, Number 44 said:

Because we haven't quite sucked enough!  😁

We've sucked so much during my 31 years on this planet that I'm quite frankly terrified of what sustained NFL success looks like. Gotta go with what's familiar in times of stress....

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'll wait till game day before buying in.  Words can be misleading...

<Licence plate pic>

I've tried a treacle tart, a butter tart and a Bakewell tart, but I think I'll give that one a miss.

Archived