JSSkinz

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)

On 5/26/2020 at 4:00 PM, Vanguard said:

I want the players to have fun along with winning.  Too much discipline can be detrimental.

Perhaps they could have brought Jay back as the enlightening side show.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Perhaps they could have brought Jay back as the enlightening side show.

I’m not even sure players found some of his antics entertaining.  Peterson certainly didn’t.  Players liked his coaching style, but they weren’t winning.

5 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I’m not even sure players found some of his antics entertaining.  Peterson certainly didn’t.  Players liked his coaching style, but they weren’t winning.

What was Riveras record last year? His team lost to Callahans 2-9 'skins. I don't think anyone will reasonably argue that that this roster doesn't need some discipline and restructuring. But that alone does not make for a winning team. I'll remain optiistic however

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

What was Riveras record last year? His team lost to Callahans 2-9 'skins. I don't think anyone will reasonably argue that that this roster doesn't need some discipline and restructuring. But that alone does not make for a winning team. I'll remain optiistic however

Panthers were 5-11 last year.  I always notice Ron’s teams play hard, and usually end the year with respectable records.  But when they have bad games, they really cave in.  His teams have one or two of those per year.

• Like 2

Ron will not scheme his way to any victories. He will need a great talent at QB and overall to get to the promise land, most likely. Obviously, a great formula for most lol. He has shared the QB must win you games. 

My hope is Ron proves to be a great talent evaluator of coaches (especially offensively) providing an offense that’s operating ahead or at the curve. Ron’s lack of ego would seem to mesh will with this idea, allowing coordinators to flourish and be innovative (Come on Turner!!). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Peterson certainly didn’t.  

Nevermind sorry..just realized you were taking about Jay.

Edited by bakedtater1
  • Like 1

I've got a buddy who is a Redskins fan and...easily excitable.  Hates Snyder.  

So...to mess with him the other night when we were talking, I came up with the conspiracy theory of....

This turnaround/rebuild doesn't go as expected.  The Redskins continue to plod along, 7-9 wins a year, maybe backing into the playoffs once or twice but never making things look easy.  Fan interest continues to dwindle.  Fed Ex continues to see less fans coming out, and when they do, they're NFCE fans.  Snyder can't get his new stadium done in DC, doesn't want to pay for it (neither does the city/taxpayers) and points to lack of fan interest and...moves the team.  Most teams that have moved seemingly do so due to not being able to get funding for a new stadium/lack of fan interest....I don't see that out of the realm of possibilities here.  I mean, lack of fan interest and dwindling attendance is already becoming a significant problem.

My buddy pointed out that Snyder grew up a Redskins fan, loves the heritage and the history.  I pointed out that he's a thin skinned sissy (not in those words) who has shown time and time again that he doesn't care about the fans.  And that if he continues to endure criticism and hatred, there's a chance he could give everyone the finger and take his ball and go home.  

He then brought up, "Well, where would he go?"  San Antonio, Toronto, Montreal, Mexico City, Portland, Raleigh Durham or Charlotte.  Retread cities like St. Louis or San Diego or Oakland.

And by the end of our talk, he was worked up that this is a real possibility.  :ols:

But...so was I.  :kickcan:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not betting the farm on this...I'm not even betting the car.  But strip emotion away from everything....it COULD happen...right?  

Anything is possible.  I hope he goes to Mexico.  He is an East Coast guy so I doubt that he will leave.  It would be great to get a new owner and starting over

with a new team would not be the worst thing that could happen.  Of course it would be better for fans if he just sold the team and bought himself another expensive

yacht or some other toy to keep him occupied.

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Anything is possible.  I hope he goes to Mexico.  He is an East Coast guy so I doubt that he will leave.  It would be great to get a new owner and starting over

with a new team would not be the worst thing that could happen.  Of course it would be better for fans if he just sold the team and bought himself another expensive

yacht or some other toy to keep him occupied.

The BEST outcome is for the team to figure out either in spite of Snyder or Snyder figures it out. I wouldn't bet my house/car on it happening...but that's the path of least resistance for the fans. 

Infighting has 'crushed' the Redskins in the past, but that should change under Ron Rivera

It's already hard to win in the NFL, but that hard task becomes downright grueling when you're beating yourself long before you even get to the stadium. That's a fact the Redskins know all too well by now.

Washington has simply been a mess as of late when it comes to being aligned and unified, and during an interview with the Redskins Talk podcast, NFL Network host Dan Hellie attributed their troubles in those areas to one man: Bruce Allen.

Allen's inability to allow others to receive credit and have success was a massive problem for the Burgundy and Gold during his tenure, according to Hellie.

"The infighting crushed that organization and I’m not just talking about the on the field product," he said.

Hellie cited the December 2018 firing of the well-regarded Brian Lafemina, who was brought on to lead the team's marketing and improve its relationship with fans, as a prime example of Allen's major flaw.

Lafemina was given just eight months on the job before he was forced out, and that decision summed up just how dysfunctional the Redskins could be with Allen leading the way.

"Why do you think that happened?" Hellie said. "It happened because there was a massive power struggle with Bruce Allen."

Allen, of course, is no longer with the Redskins. Ron Rivera is now in charge, and with the way the franchise is currently constructed, there's no one standing between him and Dan Snyder. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/infighting-has-crushed-redskins-past-should-change-under-ron-rivera

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, wit33 said:

Ron will not scheme his way to any victories. He will need a great talent at QB and overall to get to the promise land, most likely. Obviously, a great formula for most lol. He has shared the QB must win you games. 

My hope is Ron proves to be a great talent evaluator of coaches (especially offensively) providing an offense that’s operating ahead or at the curve. Ron’s lack of ego would seem to mesh will with this idea, allowing coordinators to flourish and be innovative (Come on Turner!!). 

QB definitely key, the season will rise or fall with Haskins so got my fingers crossed.

I was thinking about this recently.  When Gibbs came back one of the first things he did was find the best defensive coordinator on the market.  And from what I recall, Gregg was involved in the FA targets and at least for that year they nailed it.  

The defense was mostly good under Gregg and to some extent under Blache.  Some thought it was a bit overrated but nonetheless their defense was at least above average for most of that time.

I recall having epic debates with Oldfan way back then who said Shanny overreaches his grasp on defense and his poor defenses from Denver will follow him here.  I thought he was wrong.  But he ended up spot on correct.    I liked Jay better than most albeit never loved him. One of my criticisms though was skipping over Phillips for Barry.  And I do agree with the criticism that Jay seemed to value comfort over quality when it came to D coordinators.  Arguably that cost him his job.  Ditto Shanny.

As for Gibbs.  He and Gregg couldn't be more different personalities, yet he didn't care and hired him because he was the best available.   Not that a coordinator is the be all and end all but I do think the Redskins defense over achieved with Gregg and mostly under achieved post Gregg.  

So I do think coaching will make this defense markedly better.  I do think though both Shanny and Jay (Jay as to the passing game not so much running game) were good offensive minds.  so I am not sure the coaching on offense will be markedly improved albeit i do like what I've read about Scott Turner thus far.

But it still mostly is on Haskins.  Vegas seems to be betting against the Redskins which I take them to in effect be betting against Haskins.  Personally, I don't know.  I lean optimistic.  Though I thought at the time the NFL pundits-Vegas were nuts when they predicted an abysmal season last year and in the end they were correct on that.  So who knows.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Ya know the players are excited when our punter is tackling his 2 year old son.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s good to see McLaurin get some much publicity. We haven’t had a player that exciting on offense since Desean left and I think McLaurin and be better than Desean. 

Don’t hate me if I say that I find Coach Ron’s cragginess a bit . . . Norv-like.

*ducking*

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, JCB said:

Don’t hate me if I say that I find Coach Ron’s cragginess a bit . . . Norv-like.

*ducking*

Yeah they've both got some of that Edward James Olmos thing going on. 

Edit: In fact I'm calling it now, that's gonna be a very popular "Look-alike Thread" entry, Rivera and Olmos. He could do a pretty convincing Admiral Adama cosplay.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Who is #2?  Oh wait that is Chase Young? I thought he was #99?

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Who is #2?  Oh wait that is Chase Young? I thought he was #99?

It's a re-color of his college jersey basically

• Thanks 1

Mike Florio over on pro football talk talking **** about demanding the name of the team be changed...said something about what would it take to get snyder to change the name..the league to award them a superbowl?..a draft pick? ...anyway, it sounds like what I've been saying here for a while...god I hate Florio 

Posted (edited)

The name needs to be changed. It’s a part of systematic racism and you have no right to collectively decide that it’s not when many many Native American organizations want it changed.

Now is a good time and would go along with a new era.

Edited by JoggingGod
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

Edit: Nevermind, wrong thread for discussion here

Edited by dyst

8 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

The name needs to be changed. It’s a part of systematic racism and you have no right to collectively decide that it’s not when many many Native American organizations want it changed.

Now is a good time and would go along with a new era.

I was going to quote and respond to you in the proper Tailgate thread (which I had to find via a Google search) to avoid mucking up this thread, but it's no longer accessible. Deleted, I'm guessing? So my response goes here I guess.

Over time this is just gonna be a bigger and bigger distraction (and for understandable reasons). Again this isn't the thread for it, but I'd support this. Do it now and start a new era entirely, wash out all the bad vibes and criticism, new slate.

Not gonna happen with Snyder so we'll be doing this song and dance for a long time.

Maybe it's because I've always been an out of state fan (grew up in CT, live in MA) but I could easily still root for the team with a new name, new location, even new uniform. They'd still have the team's history and the history of all my memories. I already have to fly in to go to a game, or watch them somewhere closer (for me that's usually traveling to NJ or Foxborough). Either way it doesn't really matter to me where they play, and the name is not something I'm specifically attached to. In fact I don't wear team gear that has the name or logo on it anymore. 

Just rip off the band-aid and stop adding to a lot of peoples' hurt. I know most here will disagree and cite the people who don't find it offensive. Not really interested in that conversation and neither are those who are against the name, which is the disconnect. 

• Like 1