Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)


Recommended Posts

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Where do you live? My experience is completely different. I know 3 other Skins fans under 35. And in addition to that, the metrics bear it out as well 

Virginia Beach, I know dozens of skins fans under the age of 30 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

What would the logo look like?

You could go with military colors, a carbon option yada yada yada...slap a black helmet with a green, burgundy, or white helicopter?  I'm not a great gfx designer but something along those lines maybe?

19 minutes ago, justice98 said:

 

I could live with a tough, ferocious animal logo.  The name gotta be something cooler than that though.  

Razorbacks

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, max21 said:

Virginia Beach, I know dozens of skins fans under the age of 30 

That’s great news. Unfortunately you’re outliers. Make sure you have a ton of kids and make sure they are fans too. 
 

Just for reference, every sports store in PG County has a Dallas Cowboys section the same size as the Skins. Seems to be similar in parts of NoVa too. 
 

I moved to VA late last year after living in MD most of my life. Every time I wore Skins gear outside the last 3-4 years in MD, i was made fun of. Every time. I swear on everything. It is extremely bad. You’ve seen the crowds at “home” games I’m sure. 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed an odd overlap of viewpoints in this thread and board. Over the past couple years, a large amount of people have said that the Redskins will always be losers as long as Dan Snyder is the owner. Fast forward to now, some of the same people who said that are now saying that with a name change, it'll be a fresh start where we won't be known for losing like we have over the past 20 years.

 

I wonder how people reconcile the two views.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Whataboutism gets you nowhere, my friend 

Nothing wrong with pointing out the hypocrisy. It's well known that Nike's manufacturing facilities in China are staffed by many young children who work long hours for little pay. Meanwhile they are upset over a name and taking action.

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

I've noticed an odd overlap of viewpoints in this thread and board. Over the past couple years, a large amount of people have said that the Redskins will always be losers as long as Dan Snyder is the owner. Fast forward to now, some of the same people who said that are now saying that with a name change, it'll be a fresh start where we won't be known for losing like we have over the past 20 years.

 

I wonder how people reconcile the two views.

Potentially a large conglomerate believe the NFL shows bias towards the team, whether it be calls...hosting a Super Bowl...moving our stadium etc etc

 

I would not be shocked if we ever found out refs looked the other way on certain calls to ensure the team lost based on public opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I've noticed an odd overlap of viewpoints in this thread and board. Over the past couple years, a large amount of people have said that the Redskins will always be losers as long as Dan Snyder is the owner. Fast forward to now, some of the same people who said that are now saying that with a name change, it'll be a fresh start where we won't be known for losing like we have over the past 20 years.

 

I wonder how people reconcile the two views.

They are losers because Snyder is stubborn and hard headed.

 

Changing the name finally might indicate he’s turning over a new leaf.

 

Why is that hard for you to understand? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, max21 said:

But they are changing the name because it’s hurting people’s feelings. 


They are not changing the name because it hurt people’s feelings. The team has shown for many years that it absolutely does not care about public opinion about really anything, let alone their feelings about the name.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Sincere question. 
 

why does the name matter so much to you? 

I cant answer for Tsailand but I can answer for myself. 

I've answered this in long form many times so I'll give you the short version 

in my almost 40 years of being a fan every single thing has changed except the name, it's the glue that binds all the change together and since I live in Massachusetts I don't have the whole home team thing to cling to.

 

I mean think how arbitrary it is to just pick a team and fall in love with them, its crazy but we do it and the name is what I have to cling to to say I'm still a fan.

maybe it seems crazy to most but the thought of rooting for the Washington redbirds feels no different than changing my allegiance to the green bay packers and that turns my stomach. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

They are losers because Snyder is stubborn and hard headed.

 

Changing the name finally might indicate he’s turning over a new leaf.

 

Why is that hard for you to understand? 

Because Snyder rebranding his product does not make him more competent at choosing the executives who manage his company.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Nothing wrong with pointing out the hypocrisy. It's well known that Nike's manufacturing facilities in China are staffed by many young children who work long hours for little pay.

Ok, I’ll now randomly point out that the Skins were the last team to integrate. Where do we go from here in this conversation?

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I cant answer for Tsailand but I can answer for myself. 

I've answered this in long form many times so I'll give you the short version 

in my almost 40 years of being a fan every single thing has changed except the name, it's the glue that binds all the change together and since I live in Massachusetts I don't have the whole home team thing to cling to.

 

I mean think how arbitrary it is to just pick a team and fall in love with them, its crazy but we do it and the name is what I have to cling to to say I'm still a fan.

maybe it seems crazy to most but the thought of rooting for the Washington redbirds feels no different than changing my allegiance to the green bay packers and that turns my stomach. 

Totally fair. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Ok, I’ll now randomly point out that the Skins were the last team to integrate. Where do we go from here in this conversation?

To the point where the Redskins are no longer treating people in morally deplorable ways but Nike is currently still doing exactly that but being called a moral paragon?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

To the point where the Redskins are no longer treating people in morally deplorable ways but Nike is currently still doing exactly that but being called a moral paragon?

Please point to anyone calling Nike that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am happy the name is finally changing and I think it is about time.  I know the question of why people like me who dislike the name became a fan has been asked and whilst I cannot speak for everyone my experience is this.  I became a fan in 1981 as a 10 year old living in Wales and watching this weird American sport with my father as a way of bonding.  I became obsessed and this was my team but as a 10 year old from another country I had no frame of reference for why the team might or might not be offensive.  I am now 49 and have lived in the States for the past 14 years, I absolutely get what is wrong with the name and the teams past and each year this has dragged on it has become harder to ignore.  The name change has been inevitable for a few years now and I am just looking forward to it being a non issue in the future so I can enjoy Sundays with my two boys and raise a cold one to my father who left us in 2016.

 

For what it is worth I would vote for Red Hogs as the new name, still honors the tradition and we keep the fight song and the initials.  Hail!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

That’s great news. Unfortunately you’re outliers. Make sure you have a ton of kids and make sure they are fans too. 
 

Just for reference, every sports store in PG County has a Dallas Cowboys section the same size as the Skins. Seems to be similar in parts of NoVa too. 
 

I moved to VA late last year after living in MD most of my life. Every time I wore Skins gear outside the last 3-4 years in MD, i was made fun of. Every time. I swear on everything. It is extremely bad. You’ve seen the crowds at “home” games I’m sure. 

Yes I’ve been to Fedex countless times, my only point was you didnt have to see the SB wins or success to be a proud fan. They’ve sucked my whole life but I still love the team. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Best ready your waving goodbye hand then

 

Way ahead of you; I just registered an account on a Vikings forum.  Hope I don't have to use it.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

i didn't realize that people were talking so much on what becomes politics in here too

 

see the new sticky thread at the top

 

 

cease all the name/change or politics-laden posts to avoid bans

 

to some of long timers who know how much most of us have worked for many years to keep politics and religion out of this forum....disappointing, but i get it...there was no place to "go" and the "need" is so powerful

 

 

 

for the guys who post after this and keep going, the rest of you let them know to go edit it out...make sure you do that ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Please point to anyone calling Nike that. 

By allowing them to even be part of the pressure campaign to get the Redskins to change their name, people are doing so.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Snyder purchased the trademark for Washington Warriors years ago.  But I suspect that would still offend some who want a complete disconnect from the Native American culture.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Sincere question. 
 

why does the name matter so much to you? 

 

You're aware your forum name is just as offensive as the team name?  Hell, our entire fight song will have to go.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Jumbo changed the title to A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...