Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)

Posted (edited)

Washington Diplomats

This is the new fight song OMGOMGOMG

Red, white & blue

Lets make it happen 🇺🇸 

Edited by -JB-
2 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

If they want a military theme...while still honoring the Native American community...could they use Apache or will that be blasted as well?

Apache tribe and Apache helicopter?

What would the logo look like?

Posted (edited)

As I’ve said before, I totally understand the folks that were there for the glory years and have memories with family watching Riggo and Art Monk. To you, the name is family. I totally understand why you are upset. 

But I’ll be honest, that group grows smaller and smaller every year. For anyone born after 1992, in addition to the name being racial, it signifies failure, dysfunction, and embarrassment. There is no post SB generation of fans anymore. I am an outlier. The team is losing MD. They share PG County with Dallas. If the Ravens win another chip, MD is gone. DC has so many transplants that Hate the team solely off the name. There’s a reason why they struggle to sell tickets. There’s a reason why ratings stink. You’ve eroded the portion of the fanbase that would be driving those metrics

So a complete rebrand (in addition to righting the long racist history of the team and its policies) can be a great way to reinvigorate and rebrand a dead entity. A new beginning has desperately been needed for decades

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Thanks 5
2 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

Is the Logo racist or is it more the name?

Today they say the name is racist.  Next they'll say the logo is racist too.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The only thing that anyone ever brings up is our name, I say we keep as much Native American imagery, history, etc as possible.

That will be considered racist too, soon enough.

I've been a Redskins fan for 30 years.  Most of Snyder's ownership has been bad, but there have been enough good moments mixed in to keep my interest.  But if he changes the name, that will be the last straw.  I'll be switching to another team, and I won't be coming back.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DoneMessedUp said:

This **** is happening and everyone better start getting serious on what they'd like the new name to be or we're gonna get a repeat of the Wizards disaster 

Agreed.  Quickly get out all the whining and crying out and then accept it and focus on whatever the new name is gonna be.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

I've been a Redskins fan for 30 years.  Most of Snyder's ownership has been bad, but there have been enough good moments mixed in to keep my interest.  But if he changes the name, that will be the last straw.  I'll be switching to another team, and I won't be coming back.

Sincere question. 

why does the name matter so much to you? 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Damn sucking all these years will keep you around but god forbid they change the name of this loser franchise!  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can we get rid of Dan Snyder as compensation for changing the name? I don't know about you all, but that would make this whole thing more palatable to me!

Going back to the current topic, the Washington Warriors name with the old spear on the helmet with the same jersey colors seems like a good middle of the road option.

Washington Warriors - Kelsey image.png.cee4d34ec2e8969528b0018251b614ee.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

As I’ve said before, I totally understand the folks that were there for the glory years and have memories with family watching Riggo and Art Monk. To you, the name is family. I totally understand why you are upset. 

But I’ll be honest, that group grows smaller and smaller every year. For anyone born after 1992, in addition to the name being racial, it signifies failure, dysfunction, and embarrassment. There is no post SB generation of fans anymore. I am an outlier. The team is losing MD. They share PG County with Dallas. If the Ravens win another chip, MD is gone. DC has so many transplants that Hate the team solely off the name. There’s a reason why they struggle to sell tickets. There’s a reason why ratings stink. You’ve eroded the portion of the fanbase that would be driving those metrics

So a complete rebrand (in addition to righting the long racist history of the team and its policies) can be a great way to reinvigorate and rebrand a dead entity. A new beginning has desperately been needed for decades

That’s something you assume. I was born in 1992 and the team and name means a lot to me. I also know many people who are my age just as hardcore of a fan as me they just don’t post on a message board lol. I personally love the name and logo, it is one of the best in all of sports IMO. It would be a shame if they changed it, but that’s just me being selfish. Some people are just sensitive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Best ready your waving goodbye hand then, this is done.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Conviction for conviction's sake is not a virtue. In fact it's often irrational. 

No one has argued conviction for convictions sake.  So while you wax philosophical with your pithy comment, real discussion on the merits wages on.

4 minutes ago, Despy said:

Going back to the current topic, the Washington Warriors name with the old spear on the helmet with the same jersey colors seems like a good middle of the road option.

Washington Warriors - Kelsey image.png.cee4d34ec2e8969528b0018251b614ee.png

Of what Ive seen I think this makes the most sense.  Until it is also somehow/eventually considered offensive too.  I care less and less at this point however.  My interest in the NFL in general is starting to wain.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

They’ve been the Redskins forever.  If you hated their name why would you even root for them if you were too embarrassed to acknowledge it? 

37 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Exactly. If you were that offended by the name why are you a fan of the Skins in the first place? If you really wanted to stand up for what you believe in, you should’ve stopped following them. 

That's not how life works and both of you know it. Let's say your child or your sibling was/is a racist, a thug, or you fill in the blank. Would you disown them immediately upon finding that out? If not, I can assume you then support whatever objectionable thing they are. Let's go one further. Assuming your parents were Skins fans, I can only conclude that they agreed with the team's stance on supporting segregation since using your logic, they shouldn't root for a team they're offended by.

Whether we want to admit it or not, sports teams become intertwined with our personal culture and it's not easy to switch from one to the other. If it were that easy, aside from the team name, I would have been gone once it became apparent to me that Dan Snyder was a narcissistic moron incapable of putting a winning product on the field. And FWIW, I came to that realization IIRC six or eight years after he bought the team.

34 minutes ago, Llevron said:

It’s very possible his opinion changed after he was already invested in the team. Y’all gotta stop acting like everyone is the bad guy for growing a little in their opinions if you want the mods to let us have this discussion

This is exactly what happened. I became a fan when I was in junior high school. I was in college and went to hear Dick Gregory speak and he talked about it. At first, I was dismissive of it, but then he asked us what we'd think if the team were named the n****r h*****s. When he said that, I didn't have any kind of legitimate response and my only choice was to be a hypocrite or change my stance.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, max21 said:

That’s something you assume. I was born in 1992 and the team and name means a lot to me. I also know many people who are my age just as hardcore of a fan as me they just don’t post on a message board lol. I personally love the name and logo, it is one of the best in all of sports IMO. It would be a shame if they changed it, but that’s just me being selfish. Some people are just sensitive. 

Where do you live? My experience is completely different. I know 3 other Skins fans under 35. And in addition to that, the metrics bear it out as well 

• Jumbo changed the title to A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)
  • Jumbo locked this topic