Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The only thing that anyone ever brings up is our name, I say we keep as much Native American imagery, history, etc as possible. Change to the warriors or the braves or something. But to completely change would be heartbreaking. I would rather Dan sell and the team move. 
I have lived in the Midwest the second half of my life... maybe I would just move on. 
to the folks so easily or eagerly awaiting this and telling everyone else they’re  cold hearted a holes... you do realize we are the most insane of Redskin fans in the world and that WAY too much of our life is wrapped up in this team? Being a fan of this team is literally the only constant in my entire life- it ****ing means a lot

Good post mate. Beat me to it.

Yours truly. 

The Six Fingered Man

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The only thing that anyone ever brings up is our name, I say we keep as much Native American imagery, history, etc as possible. Change to the warriors or the braves or something. But to completely change would be heartbreaking. I would rather Dan sell and the team move. 
I have lived in the Midwest the second half of my life... maybe I would just move on. 
to the folks so easily or eagerly awaiting this and telling everyone else they’re  cold hearted a holes... you do realize we are the most insane of Redskin fans in the world and that WAY too much of our life is wrapped up in this team? Being a fan of this team is literally the only constant in my entire life- it ****ing means a lot

 

The team means a lot to me too.  It's been an obsession since I was like 7 years old (I'm 45).  That said, for me the name has to change for two reasons (#1 - most importantly -- it's imo the right thing to do; #2, to remain competitive on the field).

 

My biggest issue with keeping the current name is that I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing a Washington Redskins hat on a Native American Reservation.  How would it be perceived?  Would it be considered racist?  You shouldn't have to worry about that for a sports team.

 

Secondly, in this climate sponsors are going to start pulling out and localities aren't going to be willing to support new stadiums.  Without a change, the team will have less revenue than its competitors and less cash, making it harder to compete for players.  It's not like FedEx was packed last year.  Not to mention the bad karma for keeping the name.  The product on the field would likely suffer even worse than it has.

 

Keeping the team name now feels akin to North Korea or Iran holding onto its nuclear program while its citizens are starving financially.  It just doesn't make any sense.  Does that mean Snyder will change it ... No.  He's incredibly stubborn.  I believe it was he who wouldn't trade Cousins and Trent when he should've.  Bruce took the arrows (as part of his job).  Snyder often chooses emotion over logic, which is one of the reasons the team loses.  He hasn't been able to compete against the smarter organizations.

 

Heck, maybe we'll get some good vibes after a team name change and win a playoff game for the first time in 15 years.  That'd be nice.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

The "Washington" part is much more important to me than "Redskins" ever was. ****, I'm a Wizards fan after all!

I am a fan of the Washington part as well as the name Redskins. How do you feel about statues of G. Washington being removed? How long before removing statues isn’t enough? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

I am a fan of the Washington part as well as the name Redskins. How do you feel about statues of G. Washington being removed? How long before removing statues isn’t enough? 

 

Sounds like another topic for another thread, in the Tailgate.

 

I will say that it's funny to read people say "when will it all be enough" as if hardly anything at all in this country has really changed in recent memory. But people treat anything like this as some sort of massive concession on top of...what else exactly? Pay attention to the fact that the people getting you outraged about protecting of all things....statues...are funneling more and more of the money you generate into the pockets of themselves and corporate interests also in their pockets. 

 

But again, words for another thread.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

I am a fan of the Washington part as well as the name Redskins. How do you feel about statues of G. Washington being removed? How long before removing statues isn’t enough? 

 

I'm indifferent on the George Washington statue removal, at this point I don't think any individual should have a statue, but don't care if it stays up.

 

The name of this team is from the SKIN TONE of an ethnic group, that feels gross when you think about it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

Sounds like another topic for another thread, in the Tailgate.

 

I will say that it's funny to read people say "when will it all be enough" as if hardly anything at all in this country has really changed in recent memory. But people treat anything like this as some sort of massive concession on top of...what else exactly? 

No different than the way the  rest of this thread has evolved. You really don’t think that things have changed in this country in the past few decades? Guess you just didn’t really want to answer the question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

No different than the way the  rest of this thread has evolved. You really don’t think that things have changed in this country in the past few decades? Guess you just didn’t really want to answer the question.

 

The statue question, it was real? Seemed more like a bad faith attempt to move the goalposts to make a reasonable thing seem unreasonable. If that isn't the case and you actually want to know what I think about statues, the answer is I don't care about protecting statues. If this country spent more time investing in the present of its people and less time worried about maintaining the status quo and glorifying the past (yes, the good and the ugly together, because they can't really be separated), we might not be in this position. A lot of it is bait to distract people from actual issues, sure, but I find I understand the people who say they hurt from things more than I understand the people who just like things the way they are on principle. It's called empathy. 

 

And no, other than certain legalities not that much has changed in this country even in the past few decades, even if it is still improving. In fact many things are actually worse for a variety of reasons even as they 'seem' better. Some people's longing to always be "done" with the growing and changing that hasn't actually gone that far is notable to me, though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

 

I'm indifferent on the George Washington statue removal, at this point I don't think any individual should have a statue, but don't care if it stays up.

 

The name of this team is from the SKIN TONE of an ethnic group, that feels gross when you think about it. 

My point Is, that it is possible that some day just the removal of a statue to George Washington is not enough.

   As far as Skin Tone,I don’t feel that way at all. It was never meant to be offensive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

My point Is, that it is possible that some day just the removal of a statue to George Washington is not enough.

   As far as Skin Tone,I don’t feel that way at all. It was never meant to be offensive. 

 

I know exactly what you were going for, just not a major concern to me so I prefer not to go down that road. Ok you're not offended, wonderful, but it's very easy to see why it's a slap in the face to many people. 

 

I'm done with this thread, I doubt anyone will suddenly change their opinion in a few hours. I used to be anti-name change, but that has slowly changed over time.

Edited by spjunkies
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a big F___ u for that nasty old hag Eleanor Holmes Norton, that nasty younger hag Bowwow, and and extra one for FedEx and Nike.  THis Uber-politically correct world we are in right now beggars belief.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

My point Is, that it is possible that some day just the removal of a statue to George Washington is not enough.

 

What are you trying to say with this coded riddle language? Just spit it out. This type of "give them a reasonable inch and they might take an unreasonable mile" fearmongering is exactly the type of empty rhetoric that allows systemic issues to be perpetuated over time. What is this worst case scenario endgame that you fear this could lead to? If you don't have one in mind, then maybe wonder what it is you're so afraid of.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

I have a big F___ u for that nasty old hag Eleanor Holmes Norton, that nasty younger hag Bowwow, and and extra one for FedEx and Nike.  THis Uber-politically correct world we are in right now beggars belief.

 

Very mature

Link to post
Share on other sites

He is likely saying that if the Washington statue is removed, then next Washington DC will be changed to Justice DC or something totally non offensive , and every street named Washington will be renamed as well over time.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Is the Logo racist or is it more the name? I have to admit I am more attached to the Logo than the name. Keeping the Logo and using a name that is more respectful could be an option. What about The Washington Warriors. Does that offend people? Maybe with the blood in the water people won't be satisfied unless everything is changed. 

Now youre getting it.  The people who are “offended” wont be satisfied not matter what you do.  And once you do what they ask they know youl’ll bend to their will anytime they come knocking.  This is why you stand firm.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

 

The name of this team is from the SKIN TONE of an ethnic group, that feels gross when you think about it. 

But it's not. It's for the red warpaint they would wear, and it's a term they themselves used to describe it.  They were "redskins" when in battle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think it's funny that people say they would be done if the name changes. Seriously? That's where you draw the line? It's not the constant athletic sucking? The incompetent slimebags that were running the front-office? The fact that this team took away the passports of the cheerleaders and pressured them into topless pictures during a trip to Costa Rica? That all was okay but if they change the name then you're gone?

 

I mean I get that it's tough to let go of a name that is deeply connected to your fascination for the sport. No one says it's easy. But it not only offends people from an already marginalized ethnic group, it also dictates the narrative about this sports team. I feel, beyond just it being the right thing to do from a moral standpoint, it can really give this franchise an enormous momentum. We feel like a lot of the things are trending in the right direction for once. Why not give this franchise a fresh start, change the narrative and on top of that move back to DC? I think it's the right thing to do.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Change is really the only constant in life. That and the Redskins missing the playoffs. 

And Dan Snyder doing something stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

It's going, get over it!

 

 

I hope you'll be a bit more compassionate when the name goes away to those of us who are deeply saddened by the change because its been a huge part of our lives for so long.  My guess is that you won't be based upon your response to the name review. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Jumbo changed the title to A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...