Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I've never been heckled but I no longer wear any gear.

It just doesn't feel right. 

Yeah...I hear that...what, two division titles maybe 3 in 30 years?..totally understandable why folks wouldn't wear gear when the team is ****ty..

12 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yep the name is going to change...snyder will change it and get to build a new stadium where RFK stands..better all be thinking of something good...I predict the colors will be the same...the Washington Gunslingers..or the Washington Forefathers..

The Washingtons?

Washington Pro Football.

Announcers, besides Larry Michael, already say Washington as it is. Just drop the Redskins and the logo and over time see what happens 

Anyhow, for me personally, the name changing will. be extremely tough. I am irrationally emotionally attached to this franchise, to the Washington REDSKINS.

All of us who remember 1991 clearly still can hear the voice of Frank Herzog saying "Touchdown Washington Redskins" 

The team was a member of our household, like another family member. It is also one of the uniquely Washington things we have as locals that doesn't get polluted by clowns who move to DC from around the country. 

If I was an outsider, and thinking logically, yea I totally would think the name should change. In particular in this moment in the history of our country.

But I am not. 

First off, its just a name. Women are expected to change theirs when they get married. Its a basic regional sport that you cheer for. Whatever. 

Second, you'd never see a family of native Americans sitting at an applebees and say "hi redskins". Or even think it funny to say unless you're an asshole, which id assume you are because you're at an applebees. 

I always figured the team would move first and it still wouldn't surprise me.

Could be something Murican like dominators with pictures of drones. Im preferential to navy jets or an aircraft carrier personally. 

Its crazy its taken this long to change that awful name, but hey, we have history right?

• Like 2

Of course the name has to change. Guys 3 known refs denied doing our games because of the way they felt.  That means the NFL refs can conspire to give us bad calls and other blatant disrespect, and in this league the disparity is minute one call can affect a game.  Change it and let’s move on for a new start.  

I’d call them the Washington Warriors. That’s good enough for me we wouldn’t have to change our logo either.  

Growing up I loved that the local team was about the American Indians.  A culture and ethnicity that's basically forgotten about.  I'd still love to keep the name somehow tied to American Indians, as I'd prefer to not pretend they no longer exist (which is something society seems to be trending towards).  I mean, pat ourselves on the back, feel good for a second that we removed American Indian imagery/names/etc from teams and places, yet not do anything about the massive problems on reservations.  Some of which don't even really have running water.  Seems so hypocritical to me.

Changing the name doesn't change how I'd follow and watch the team.  Same with changing the logo, colors, or anything else.  I'd still follow.  We could change our name/logo to something like this:

Hippo ballerina | Fact | FactRepublic.com

...and I'd still happily support it.  Because it's the local team, and the players/coaches are ones I'm familiar with, and I'm intimately familiar with the history and experience of rooting for a, well, team down on it's luck in the 'Win' column for decades.

I'd just prefer to keep the logo and color scheme the most.

Suggestion, Washington Potomacs?  The local Patowomeck tribe has publicly said they'd love to have the team named after them.

Washington Warriors is an option.  Snyder trademarked that soon after buying the team as a fallback plan (I'm assuming).  Although some groups like the Oneida Indian Nation have historically been more upset about the word 'Warrior' than 'Redskin'.  The National Congress of American Indians has in the past raised issues with every sports team featuring American Indian names/iconography.  The Golden State Warriors were included in that list.

San Francisco Warriors Primary Logo - National Basketball ...

The word Warrior does not originate from this continent.  So I doubt there'd be nearly as much push back on that in comparison to Redskin.

• Like 1

I'm not the super sentimental type, so I accepted they would change the name a while ago. 

Being a DC sports fan scares me though.

*ahem*

Sea Dogs

Dragons

Express

Stallions

Wizards

It better not be like last time. Wizards is the worst name/logo in the NBA and I absolutely love The Bullets.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

First off, its just a name. Women are expected to change theirs when they get married. Its a basic regional sport that you cheer for. Whatever. 

Second, you'd never see a family of native Americans sitting at an applebees and say "hi redskins". Or even think it funny to say unless you're an asshole, which id assume you are because you're at an applebees. 

I always figured the team would move first and it still wouldn't surprise me.

Could be something Murican like dominators with pictures of drones. Im preferential to navy jets or an aircraft carrier personally. 

Its crazy its taken this long to change that awful name, but hey, we have history right?

Whatever..ya ****in chillis lover...lol

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

the Washington Gunslingers..

If the reasoning they changed The Bullets is still true,  Gunslinger will not be an option... if they changed to Gunslingers, the Wiz better get changed back to the Bullets 

2 minutes ago, slinky said:

If the reasoning they changed The Bullets is still true,  Gunslinger will not be an option... if they changed to Gunslingers, the Wiz better get changed back to the Bullets 

I think it was a suggestion on unbreakable kimmy

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Well maybe where the 2 native american high schools still proudly refer to themselves as the Redskins... if they had an Applebees then they might just say "hi Redskins".

Looks like Nike's online shop no longer sells Redskins stuff. Not sure when they stopped... i would assume that violates some NFL/Redskins contract.... Danny needs release his lawyers on them.

• Confused 1

The reason this issue comes for a while and then goes for a while is because a small mob decides to go after it when its politically expedient.  The reason that  in the past it has faded away is because they did not give in to that mobs demands and were backed with legal precedent as well.  

This is the same reason they shouldn't change it now, if you submit to the mob demands because they have once again come knocking not only will they know they own you from that point forward but they likely won’t ever be satisfied. You changed the team name? Great now change the logo. You did that? Well you should do some other thing we want because you have a bad past as a team that had a bad name for 100 years. It doesn't end, it just comes in waves.  

The name Redskin was originated by Natives to distinguish them selves from the white man (https://repository.si.edu/handle/10088/31970).  It has at some point been used as a derogatory term in history, but I have yet to hear it used that way in my entire life (and ive heard everything in the book for every race, color, creed, etc).  But more importantly, the meaning of words change over time.  Even if the word used to mean something innocent to those natives mentioned in Goddards research, it eventually meant something else to others later, and now i submit to you that it means something else now.  I submit that the term Redskins has almost entirely if not completely merged with the reference to the NFL team.  In fact you'd be hard pressed to find people who dont associate the word with the team automatically upon hearing it.  

Maybe right now its more popular to just say ah who cares its just a name, but i think you have stick to your guns and highlight these things to the public so they understand the history and honor the team name stands for.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
Posted (edited)

Historically there are always people who try to justify why something is not wrong. It takes time, sometimes significant time before a change is made for the better. This is no different. Change will eventually come, it has too.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is the beginning of the end...

Beginning of the end of...what?  Being a sorry ass sack of a franchise?  Maybe if we get a new name we can shake off some of this nasty stank that this franchise has been carrying since the mid 90s.

I don't know man, I'd still have rooted for this team growing up if they had a different name and logo to begin with.  Pretty sure all of us would have, too.  I don't care that Rypien, Monk, Clark, Sanders, Green, Jacoby, Mann, Marshall, etc played for the Redskins...I cared that they played for WASHINGTON.  I cared that they played for the team that represented the DC area.  

17 minutes ago, Mooka said:

I'm not the super sentimental type, so I accepted they would change the name a while ago. 

Being a DC sports fan scares me though.

*ahem*

Sea Dogs

Dragons

Express

Stallions

Wizards

It better not be like last time. Wizards is the worst name/logo in the NBA and I absolutely love The Bullets.  

I used to be firmly anti-name change, now I'm kinda for it.  I think it'd breathe some fresh air into a moribund franchise...but yikes.  What the Bullets did scares me.   The Wizards is a terrible name.

I like our colors.  I like our uniforms.  I just...don't really trust anyone (especially Dan Snyder or anyone he comes in contact with) to come up with something good.  Look at the ridiculousness that the Rams came out with earlier this year for example.  They had some pretty sweet looking uniforms and colors and went and crapped all over it.  

I don't know, I don't know how he'd go about changing it.  I don't know what kind of slick marketing agency would be brought in to handle it, probably some people that have never watched a game of football before and don't know anything about this franchise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Whatever..ya ****in chillis lover...lol

Its way better hillbilly.

23 minutes ago, slinky said:

Well maybe where the 2 native american high schools still proudly refer to themselves as the Redskins... if they had an Applebees then they might just say "hi Redskins".

Lol well played sir. I doubt they have long though.

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

We can't keep doing this, it's time for change. 

I've been pitching Fundevils for a decade, but i also wanted to move to Vegas.

9 minutes ago, PerryMason said:

The reason this issue comes for a while and then goes for a while is because a small mob decides to go after it when its politically expedient.  

I will say that I believe this to be true, even though I'm for the name change.  

The first time I can recall a debate about the team name was before the Super Bowl against the Bills.  I was 10 and I didn't care.

The second time this debate got really heated was when RG3 was here.  He lead the league in jersey sales, we were one of the hottest teams in the league and all of a sudden we had a bunch of prime time games the following season and somewhat of a national following.  Snyder stoked the flames by vowing never to change it but it died down, not coincidentally when RG3 wasn't effective and we regained our place in the bottom of the NFC East and drifted off the map of social consciousness.

And now here we are again.  I don't need to rehash what has happened in the last couple of months but to use your words it's "politically expedient."  

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, PerryMason said:

This is the same reason they shouldn't change it now, if you submit to the mob demands because they have once again come knocking not only will they know they own you from that point forward but they likely won’t ever be satisfied. You changed the team name? Great now change the logo. You did that? Well you should do some other thing we want because you have a bad past as a team that had a bad name for 100 years. It doesn't end, it just comes in waves.  

I totally disagree with that. I think it takes a strong person to say, you know what, this is wrong and I'm going to change it. It's about time we do the right thing. If you don't change it now, then when do you change it? Sometimes you just have to peel off the band aid no matter how much it hurts

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The name change has nothing to do with empathy or a new enlightened perspective, it's all about money.  Nothing would make Danny change the name except money and that is becoming reality.  Danny can use the name change as some leverage for the new stadium and this will happen.  I haven't really heard a name I like, but a new name is coming.

• Like 1
Just now, evmiii said:

The name change has nothing to do with empathy or a new enlightened perspective, it's all about money.  Nothing would make Danny change the name except money and that is becoming reality.  Danny can use the name change as some leverage for the new stadium and this will happen.  I haven't really heard a name I like, but a new name is coming.

Well, you kinda accidentally nailed it i think. 

3 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I totally disagree with that. I think it takes a strong person to say, you know what, this is wrong and I'm going to change it. It's about time we do the right thing. If you don't change it now, then when do you change it? Sometimes you just have to peel off the band aid no matter how much it hurts

I've caught a ton of **** over the years for being a long time name changer. His post was common rhetoric, but inspired. 

• Like 1
  • Jumbo changed the title to A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)
  • Jumbo locked this topic