Dissident2

Revisiting Jon Beck While Social Distancing - Thanks, NFL Network!

So, I never bit the bullet and purchased the NFL Sunday Ticket or Game Pass or whatever it's called. 

But, if you're not aware, they've made a pretty generous and appreciated offer during this time of isolation, offering the package for "free" (although it cost me 99cents for some reason. Still can't complain about that.)

I've been really enjoying, in a sadomasochistic sense most of the time, going back and watching entire condensed games from 2009 to the present. I'm wondering if anyone else is doing this. 

Just a couple quick impressions as I work my through the sewage overflow that was the 2011 season.  

Sweet mother of all creatures great and small, I'd forgotten how utterly horrific Jon Beck was. He absolutely has to be the worst pro quarterback I've ever witnessed. At the very least the worst who's ever been considered a viable starter for us. 

Amazingly, we were 3-1 with Sexy Rexy to start that year, losing a heartbreaker at Dallas (what else is new) when they converted on a 3rd and 21 on their final drive and kicked a game-winning field goal. Rex had his problems in the beginning, but he really started falling apart after that, especially against the Eagles, where he threw pick after pick after pick. Beck was brought in. He looked bad as well, but did "lead" the team to a score in a 20-13 loss. He got the start the next week at Buffalo. 

Again, I've never seen worse QB play. He was sacked 10 times that day in a 23-0 loss. His passes were off the mark constantly. Like, not even close off the mark. He began throwing check downs to Roy Helu, and then he evolved into ... throwing more check downs to Roy Helu. Amazingly, he started the next week against the 49ers, where Roy Helu set a Redskins record for RECEPTIONS in a single game. It was literally throw to Helu, throw to Helu, throw horribly inaccurate pass across middle of field. Punt. Rinse and repeat. 

Truly the worst QB in Redskins history. Can this be DENIED? Maybe. Will it be? Perhaps. Will I change my position? NO. 

I can't believe I'm actually "enjoying" revisiting these horrific seasons, but it's strangely fun. What it also drives home, though, is the level of utter drek we've been forced to watch for so long. For the dummies who harp on about how we are "the worst fanbase in the league" based on recent empty stadiums ... the crowds were still big back then ... and fans were cheering loudly ... even in utterly impossible situations with Jon Beck as our starter. 

Anyway, looking forward to starting on 2012 soon, even though it's going to be bittersweet. Like watching an old movie where you know the hero is going to kick all sorts of ass ... then die at the end. 

Also, #FireBruceAllen

BEC177695.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2011. Man both our games against Dallas were close that season. The one at home went into overtime. Then we lost on i think A 3rd & long (shocker....). Beck only started like 3 games before Shanahan benched him again 😂😂😂

"Enjoying" and "strangely fun" are terms I remember using during those games as well.  I found myself getting blind drunk, bringing my laptop to whoever's NYC apartment we were hanging out at that Sunday, and laughing uncontrollably every time Beck threw a pass or got ROCKED by a defender.  His misery was my bliss.

Got to the point where my Giants/Jets friends would let me plug the HDMI cable into the main TV for Skins drives so we could all collectively hoot 'n holler at that 'ol bird-ass lookin' fool crawling around the field trying to find his mouthpiece.

Never trust a man who doesn't take a drink.  Curse you John Beck!  Curse your name!

People like to joke about Colt McCoy the Cowboy Killer, but Rex Grossman was the Giant Slayer. Both games were won by nearly 2 TDs, and the Giants went on to win the Super Bowl that year. It's easy to clown on Rex, but he'll always be a legend to me for those two games.

• Like 2

John Beck is one of the key reasons I actually distrust Mike Shannahan, not just dislike but distrust him.  The way he heaped praise on this nothing of a QB, would go back and tell people he hadn't wanted one QB or another, drafting Jay Cutler when the Broncos had Jake Plummer and benching Plummer, drafting RG3 and Kirk the same year.  I don't think his relationship with QBs was healthy and I think ultimately he wished they were as interchangeable as RBs in his system.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Mike Shanahan said he was a NFL QB for weeks. He started one game and looked awful.

He started 3(?) games, not 1 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

2 hours ago, carex said:

John Beck is one of the key reasons I actually distrust Mike Shannahan, not just dislike but distrust him.  The way he heaped praise on this nothing of a QB, would go back and tell people he hadn't wanted one QB or another, drafting Jay Cutler when the Broncos had Jake Plummer and benching Plummer, drafting RG3 and Kirk the same year.  I don't think his relationship with QBs was healthy and I think ultimately he wished they were as interchangeable as RBs in his system.

If I remember correctly, Kyle mentioned when he was in Houston they scouted Beck and thought he was one of the better QBs in that draft class. Lots of smoke being blown that offseason.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CaptainChaos47 said:

If I remember correctly, Kyle mentioned when he was in Houston they scouted Beck and thought he was one of the better QBs in that draft class. Lots of smoke being blown that offseason.

yeah, that's why we got him for Doug Dutch in a training camp trade

14 minutes ago, carex said:

Doug Dutch wasn't the real loss in that trade. Colt Brennan was. 😭

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, paloosa said:

I think Patrick Ramsey was just as bad

no, not even close...I wouldn't even put Shuler in that category...maybe Danny Weurffel...naw... even still Beck hands down

Edited by Stefanskins
  • Like 1

John Beck tried to socially distance the football - he kept it 6' away from our receivers...

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Redskinscub said:

It was bad, I saw him play in person vs Carolina. 

Didn’t Grossman play against Carolina in 2011, or had he already been benched? 

Grossman was benched for Carolina as well. It's weird looking at the box scores and seeing Beck with 200-280 yards per game. I know garbage time helped, but it felt like he was lucky to break 100 yards by the 4th quarter.

3 hours ago, carex said:

Exactly.  That's why I take whatever they say about their time here with a grain of salt.  The Redskins certainly arent perfect but Kyle and his pops werent exactly truthful while they were here.  If I were Dan I probably would have forced their hand to get a QB too after they were touting John Beck as a possible starter.

• Like 1

Remember that guy on this board who was convinced Beck was the real deal based on some statistical analysis of his college career and that Shanahan was playing Jedi mind tricks by pushing Rex as the first team guy during the preseason? Also was convinced, based on statistics, that some guy (Someone McSomebody) the Jets ended up taking in the 7th round of the draft was going to be the next Brady? 

The moral of the story is that stats mean F all. But we could do with somebody like that around here to lighten up these long, dull days!

Actually, having just read up on the career of Greg McElroy, it seems that stats guy was onto something: successfully identifying quarterbacks capable of being sacked 10 or more times in a game...

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Doug Dutch wasn't the real loss in that trade. Colt Brennan was. 😭

Especially as we got Dutch back in the end after the Ravens cut him.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And we traded for him, too

We didn't lose anyone important

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CaptainChaos47 said:

I'll go further, I remember Kyle saying he was jumping on the table wanting the Texans to take Beck in the first rd.  The Shanahans were all in on him as the next Joe Montana.

• Haha 2