Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As per NFL.com (and others) Redskins trade with Panthers for Kyle allen (QB)

I touched on when this might happen yesterday and lo and behold it was less than 24 hours later. This speaks volumes as to how RR operates and I love it. The elephant in the division has been how long would Washington stick with Haskins and now we have the answer. Hopefully DH keeps his head up, stays ready and improves enough to be part of the future but even more hopefully is that Allen leads this team to wins. 

Allen seemed like a boom or bust guy in Carolina. Some weeks he had things clicking, and others, he struggled. It'll be interesting to see which version shows up to start here.

Some random highlights and analysis of our new starting quarterback:

Shameless hyperbole or not I like the sound of “Duel in the Snow” it reminds me of a Sergio Leone spaghetti western.

• Like 2

Good luck, Kyle. If you fail, I’m probably done with this season, and probably this garbage franchise that hasn’t been any good since before I was a teenager. For those who are all about Rivera, remember that he went 5-11 last year with this QB and a more talented offense and defense.

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

For those who are all about Rivera, remember that he went 5-11 last year with this QB and a more talented offense and defense.

Rivera was fired after losing to Washington last season. Allen mainly started the first half  of the season. So not really 5-11. 😉

Didn't expect this but I don't care who starts, I just want the team to win.  Hopefully this provides a spark. 

Looking at the highlights from the Packers game and Cardinals game posted earlier, he looks really good.  I wonder what happened to him during the rest of the season.  Was it teams finally having some tape on him and knowing how to handle him?

8 minutes ago, clietas said:

Rivera was fired after losing to Washington last season. Allen mainly started the first half  of the season. So not really 5-11. 😉

You’re right, 5-7 after going 7-9 the previous season. He had three winning seasons (albeit very impressive seasons) out of nine in Carolina. There’s no doubt that he’s better than Jay, but there’s no reason we should be trusting his judgment with impunity just yet. Our roster was built so haphazardly that it’s mind boggling to see the product out on the field. I was excited to see our young secondary after Rivera talked them up, and outside of a few guys, they’re playing awful. I don’t know what we were thinking with our linebackers (Thomas Davis? In an age when speed is everything?). Wes Martin should not be starting (yet). Getting rid of AP and keeping Peyton Barber was dumb. AP seems to be doing plenty in his limited role for Detroit. Both Shanny and Gibbs II can be criticized for a lot, but they at least knew to start building with a core of competent veterans to provide leadership. This team seems rudderless, and this is irrespective of the Haskins benching, which I fully understand and accept.

I watched 3 games Allen played in, granted they were his early starts but I for one am excited to see what he has and expect big things from him with another year of maturity. Rams are a tough first test but when you get a chance you gotta take it. Lets gooooo!!! Very excited for this sunday. 

Well on one hand Kyle knows the system and gives us a better chance to win.  On the other hand we may win 2 or 3 additional games taking us out of the running to draft Sunshine.  I know there are those on ES that are completely against losing out to draft the top prospect but I personally would not mind winning any of our remaining games if it means drafting the top QB prospect.

https://247sports.com/Article/Kyle-Allen-Carolina-Panthers-Texas-AM-5-star-recruit-137791321/

Being under the spotlight is nothing new for Carolina Panthers quarterback Kyle Allen.

Allen may have entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2018, but four years earlier he was an elite recruit, the No. 1 quarterback in the nation and the No. 5 overall prospect in the Top247. The product of Desert Mountain High School in Scottsdale, Arizona held offers to play for 18 Division-I programs across the country, including Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Tennessee.

Good luck to this young man. Im optimistic because as a skins fan I have to try to find optimism wherever I can, but my expectations are tempered. He is just as inaccurate as Haskins and thrived on dumpoffs to CMC last season... maybe having more experience in the system will help, regardless, he can’t be much worse than Haskins was.

I think Rivera made the switch because the division is crap and even with only one win we’re still right in it. He knew Haskins progression was either much further down the road or nonexistent, so at least Allen gives us a shot at improvement.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, Allen peaked in High School athletically, just like Haskins maturity. Super. 

I just thought it was an interesting article and I think I have more hope for someone who had an extremely high rating coming out of high school and underachieved to become an undrafted free agent versus someone with little to no talent who overachieved to end up in the same category. 

Allen has shown flashes in the nfl just as he did in college, that article clearly states that his problems are between his ears and he has more than enough talent to succeed.

It also said that he has an overabundance of positivity which I really like.

I have low expectations for Allen simply based on his career trajectory since high school, but that article gives me hope that if he puts it together he's at least got a chance of being a pretty good quarterback.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

I would love to see Kyle tear it up but I think we'll see maybe a slightly more efficient offense but it wont equate into wins.  My opinion is Kyle being the starter has more to do with the QB that was just benched rather than than the belief Kyle is this teams savior.

Maybe he's the next Kirk Cousins, who knows but I think Rons just trying to figure out what he's got going into next season.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I would love to see Kyle tear it up but I think we'll see maybe a slightly more efficient offense but it wont equate into wins.  My opinion is Kyle being the starter has more to do with the QB that was just benched rather than than the belief Kyle is this teams savior.

Maybe he's the next Kirk Cousins, who knows but I think Rons just trying to figure out what he's got going into next season.

The last paragraph. Yes. 

Does he have a backup in house? Because that’s the next question. Is Allen able to back up a new QB/start while we wait for a new guy to be ready. That’s the question. 

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I think he will still qualify as an exclusive rights free agent after this season and therefore at the very least he’s a lock for the roster next year as a back-up.

• Like 1

Surprised he didn’t rush more yards last year. He displays playmaking ability with his legs, but that only amounted to 32 carries and just over a 100 yards. In the highlights he definitely seems to prefer to make the dump off or pass down the field, not a bad thing, just thought his rush numbers would be better. 

UDFA who worked his way to backup, then went 6-7 as a starter in his first 13 games. I'll take my chances. He can definitely make plays with his legs. If we can mix last weeks game plan along with more misdirection and safe throws downfield I think we can have a solid offense with Allen. He just needs to be smarter with the ball.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Guys got some moxy. Please let this work out. I'm tired of this sadistic QB carousel 

Right?!

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm worried about his dangerous throws /propensity to throw INTs, but I really think we see a vastly improved offense the next few weeks. 

Bold prediction:  KA plays well enough that it's at least a consideration that we don't even draft an early round QB come April '21.  Wouldn't that be something. 

• Like 3