Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As per NFL.com (and others) Redskins trade with Panthers for Kyle allen (QB)


Recommended Posts

Allen winning games is no different then Alex winning games, it removes desperation to address QB so we don't do something stupid.

 

I agree that hasn't proven to be anything then someone who knows the system.  But if that works, it buys us time.

Edited by Renegade7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of what everyone thinks about Allen, if he gets us to a division title this year, I'd bet RR rolls with Allen another year given how weak the NFCE is.  It would prove he could win a garbage division with an average QB and focus on building up other key positions in the off season.

 

 

Edited by HigSkin
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Its so interesting that all the complaints since Allen has been starting have been about his arm because this was one of his scouting reports from college in 2018: 

 

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/4/13/17219366/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-kyle-allen-qb-houston-cougars-texas-a-m-aggies

 

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS: There’s a reason why he was a top recruit coming out of high school: his arm. Allen possesses a strong arm and is capable of making any throw. He made a number of throws that were put where only his receiver could get it, including many deep shots placed perfectly. His arm strength also allows him to make off balance throws when pressure is in his face. When he’s given the time to make a play downfield, he can make accurate throws at any level. Even when pressured, he still showed the ability to make tough throws and not panic.

Allen doesn’t get too antsy in the pocket, and his body seems calm when scanning the field. There isn’t a ton of wasted movement in his throwing motion. He does a good job of squaring his shoulders when rolling out, but also isn’t afraid to tuck and run. He doesn’t have blazing speed, but has enough to gain yards when in trouble.

WEAKNESSES: Everything Allen needs to work on is between his ears.....it’s all mental. There are times when he tries to force things or lets his eyes move a defender into the throwing lane. Accuracy downfield was an issue at times. While he can handle some pressure, it seemed like there were long stretches where he had to deal with constant pressure. That’s not his fault, but it did lead to inaccurate throws, quick bailouts, and turnovers.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Allen had the task of replacing two stars at Texas A&M and Houston, and seemed to take it in stride. Inconsistent play is something that he’s going to have to fix if he wants to be a pro. Many thought that he would (and should) transfer to another school to play his final year of college, but going pro may have been his best option. Now, he can focus on his game, and finding a team that will sign him as a free agent. He has the physical tools to be a good quarterback, but it all comes down to the mental side of the game.


I don’t get why these top rated QBs go to these prospect factories. He, like many who have gone to USC or Georgia, would have been better off staying close to home and getting years of starting experience. He should have gone to AZ or AZ St and lit it up there vs the crappy defenses in the Pac 12

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have 9 games left, if Allen can go 6-3 then I would possibly refrain from picking a QB in the next draft (If there is one available) or free agency but IMO he has to do something that really shows he is taking the next steps to be a long time starter in the league.

 

Just winning the division isn't enough to me if we do it with 5 or 6 wins, going 6-3 the rest of the way puts us at 8-8 which is respectable based on the circumstances.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Allen winning games is no different then Alex winning games, it removes desperation to address QB so we don't do something stupid.

 

This is exactly how I feel. If we truly feel that the guy who lands to us is something special we can go after him and if we have a QB expert who thinks that a rookie is worth a lower round pick we can pick him. But the whole thing we need right now is a young QB who doesn't turn the ball over. That alone can help us win games. Him making big plays or having a RB that can run for 200+ yards works for me. I just want us to be winning games. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kyle Allen is a nice upgrade from Haskins. But franchise long term solution? It's highly doubtful and way too soon to even be discussing/ Having said that it does appear he will give the coaching staff a better read on what they have and what they can do in preparation for the QB they really think can be that long term solution. 

 

But let's not kid ourselves - he beat a very bad football team, maybe the 2nd worst only behind the jets. He put 25 on them when everyone else is hanging 30+ with ease and he didn't even throw for 200 yds. Besides him, we still have majors issues all over the offence. Desperately need another WR to emerge, we need a TE and the Oline is one injury form being as effective as dallas. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If over the course of his first 16 games started, Dwayne Haskins (or any other rookie) put these numbers up:

23 TDs | 16 INTS | 5 Rushing Touchdowns | 8 Fumbles | 62.8 Completion Percentage | 3,803 Yards | | 87.6 Passer Rating

 

There would be no question that we would not be drafting a quarterback next year and he would be the unquestioned starter.  These are Kyle Allen's stats over his first 16 starts.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

If over the course of his first 16 games started, Dwayne Haskins (or any other rookie) put these numbers up:

23 TDs | 16 INTS | 5 Rushing Touchdowns | 8 Fumbles | 62.8 Completion Percentage | 3,803 Yards | | 87.6 Passer Rating

 

There would be no question that we would not be drafting a quarterback next year and he would be the unquestioned starter.  These are Kyle Allen's stats over his first 16 starts.  

Except, most of those stats are with Carolina....who just replaced him

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Except, most of those stats are with Carolina....who just replaced him

 

The coaching staff who signed him...traded for him in the offseason.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we at least agree that Kyle Allen has earned the "a" that begins his last name in the thread title being capitalized at this point? :ols:

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

We have 9 games left, if Allen can go 6-3 then I would possibly refrain from picking a QB in the next draft (If there is one available) or free agency but IMO he has to do something that really shows he is taking the next steps to be a long time starter in the league.

 

Just winning the division isn't enough to me if we do it with 5 or 6 wins, going 6-3 the rest of the way puts us at 8-8 which is respectable based on the circumstances.

 

Being competitive, game management, and yes, wins are key variables for me with him. 

 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is exactly how I feel. If we truly feel that the guy who lands to us is something special we can go after him and if we have a QB expert who thinks that a rookie is worth a lower round pick we can pick him. But the whole thing we need right now is a young QB who doesn't turn the ball over. That alone can help us win games. Him making big plays or having a RB that can run for 200+ yards works for me. I just want us to be winning games. 
 

 

In today’s NFL the game manager must of have the ability to extend and create plays with their legs during a game. Allen has legit wheels, but must grow as a runner to be a franchise QB in the league, IMO. Curious to see if this is something Alex Smith among others can increase his awareness to improve on. He’s a panic runner is the best way I can put it, if he can maintain control and be calm in these moments that could go a long way (Come on Smith!). 

 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

 

But let's not kid ourselves - he beat a very bad football team, maybe the 2nd worst only behind the jets. He put 25 on them when everyone else is hanging 30+ with ease and he didn't even throw for 200 yds. Besides him, we still have majors issues all over the offence. Desperately need another WR to emerge, we need a TE and the Oline is one injury form being as effective as dallas. 

 

In fairness, the other teams were involved in shootouts, there’s no doubt if needed the Skins could’ve put up a few more points in the second half. As you know, They were in cruise control in that second half, especially with the defense smothering the Cowboys offense. 
 

To your overall point, definitely must pump the breaks on celebrating too much due to the opponent the last two weeks. 
 

But... 

 

If Allen leads the team to 4-1 over 5 games and it appears he’s showing game management growth, then he’s beginning to show that he can beat the middling to weaker teams, which has great value due to teams 10-28 often times all being average to above game to game. 

 

 

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

If over the course of his first 16 games started, Dwayne Haskins (or any other rookie) put these numbers up:

23 TDs | 16 INTS | 5 Rushing Touchdowns | 8 Fumbles | 62.8 Completion Percentage | 3,803 Yards | | 87.6 Passer Rating

 

There would be no question that we would not be drafting a quarterback next year and he would be the unquestioned starter.  These are Kyle Allen's stats over his first 16 starts.  

 

Yuck. 
 

No way I want those stats from Allen. 
 

He needs to be close to a 3 to 1 TD to Int and a guy that protects the football overall. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

If over the course of his first 16 games started, Dwayne Haskins (or any other rookie) put these numbers up:

23 TDs | 16 INTS | 5 Rushing Touchdowns | 8 Fumbles | 62.8 Completion Percentage | 3,803 Yards | | 87.6 Passer Rating

 

There would be no question that we would not be drafting a quarterback next year and he would be the unquestioned starter.  These are Kyle Allen's stats over his first 16 starts.  

 

I was hoping we were going to get the first 5 games started in Carolina Kyle Allen. I remember thinking he looked good enough to be a franchise qb. Along with these stats he's 7-9 as a starter in his first 16 games. So he can win football games. And on top of all of it, he's only 24 years old and learning. I was excited to see him with this team and excited for the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know who's numbers are similar to Kyle Allen over their first 16 starts?

26 TDs | 17 INTS | 2 Rushing Touchdowns | 12 Fumbles | 61.6% Completion Percentage | 3,889 Yards | 81.6 Passer Rating

 

That's Daniel Jones over his first 16 starts.  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wit33 said:

 

In fairness, the other teams were involved in shootouts, there’s no doubt if needed the Skins could’ve put up a few more points in the second half. As you know, They were in cruise control in that second half, especially with the defense smothering the Cowboys offense. 
 

 

 

One of the reasons I was skeptical going into the game is because with Dak they had shown an ability to score points almost relentlessly. So I was expecting a shootout, or at least their offense to be able to put up points and daring us to be able to keep up with them. Andy Dalton isn't some UDFA who doesn't know what this league is about. He's a playoff QB who had a bad year last year. So I was really expecting him to light our defense up at least a few times to make the game competitive. But we didn't. And we can blame it on the injuries and how bad they are (and I partially am), but in some ways its like the Eagles game where injuries are only part of the story. Because Cooper was still there and so was Lamb. But I think Everett had Lamb afraid to catch the ball because he'd get hit. Zek is a guy who has torched us in the past, and maybe he's going through a slump but he didn't break that slump against us. 

 

And this is something about the Turner offense we still need to see. We have the one deep ball to TMac and Haskins threw one to TMac that went out at the 1 and Haskins ran it in (late in the game against the Rams), but for the most part all our scoring drives have been slow and 8+ plays and took a while to develop. Even Allen is getting this reputation as a guy who is a game manager who can convert 3rd downs. Not a bad thing, but its one thing to be able to beat the worse teams in the league (step 1 and nothing to be mad about), but we also want to be able to hang with the high scoring offenses and the question becomes can we put up 30 point and can we score easily and can we sirvive a shootout? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

 

One of the reasons I was skeptical going into the game is because with Dak they had shown an ability to score points almost relentlessly. So I was expecting a shootout, or at least their offense to be able to put up points and daring us to be able to keep up with them. Andy Dalton isn't some UDFA who doesn't know what this league is about. He's a playoff QB who had a bad year last year. So I was really expecting him to light our defense up at least a few times to make the game competitive. But we didn't. And we can blame it on the injuries and how bad they are (and I partially am), but in some ways its like the Eagles game where injuries are only part of the story. Because Cooper was still there and so was Lamb. But I think Everett had Lamb afraid to catch the ball because he'd get hit. Zek is a guy who has torched us in the past, and maybe he's going through a slump but he didn't break that slump against us. 

 

And this is something about the Turner offense we still need to see. We have the one deep ball to TMac and Haskins threw one to TMac that went out at the 1 and Haskins ran it in (late in the game against the Rams), but for the most part all our scoring drives have been slow and 8+ plays and took a while to develop. Even Allen is getting this reputation as a guy who is a game manager who can convert 3rd downs. Not a bad thing, but its one thing to be able to beat the worse teams in the league (step 1 and nothing to be mad about), but we also want to be able to hang with the high scoring offenses and the question becomes can we put up 30 point and can we score easily and can we sirvive a shootout? 

 

 

 

Not going down field as much is a fair concern. There is one possibility that they are trying to slowly put the offense in so make sure everyone is on the same page. And as they show progression (something not happening under Haskins), they will add more deep routes and more complexity to the routes overall. I know Allen has more experience in the offence but just a little and the rest of the team needs to catch up to him. There is also the concern abotu the Oline. It's not like they have been very good. Short passes protect the oline. I am just guessing of course. 

 

In the end though they will need to start airing it out more if nothing else than to keep people from crowding the line. We have a chance to roll off a few wins over the next few weeks. Would be nice to see. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Do you know who's numbers are similar to Kyle Allen over their first 16 starts?

26 TDs | 17 INTS | 2 Rushing Touchdowns | 12 Fumbles | 61.6% Completion Percentage | 3,889 Yards | 81.6 Passer Rating

 

That's Daniel Jones over his first 16 starts.  


I don’t know what your argument is here but I got a shot ready for you if you can pull it off lol

Edited by Llevron
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last 20 games:

 

Jets 7-13

Cowboys 7-13

 

We beat a crap team full of injuries. Not taking anything away from Allen but crowning him heir apparent moving forward beyond this season might be premature.
 

On the other hand they need to lock him into a deal that’s relatively cheap otherwise Cousins 2.0 on the downside. He’s an exclusive rights free agent after this season ends. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we stop saying "we beat a bad football team", please? Yes, I know the Cowboys suck and yes, we beat the crap out of them. You're supposed to do that to bad teams, the fact that we did that is a good thing. In fact, if it weren't for Hopkins, the boys would've been shut out completely. Our team did what they were supposed to do yesterday, I give them an "A+".

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think Alex Smith has been whispering in Allen's ear.

And that's my hope. 

 

Get Haskins out of the room. Allow Smith to tutor Allen. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I view this team being better next year and in the long run if it uses its draft/FA capital on WR/TE/OG/OT/LB/FS instead of Fields/Lance and rolls with Allen or a FA pickup (Darnold perhaps?)

 

Unless Lawrence is available without trading the house I don’t see an immediate upgrade at QB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Llevron said:


I don’t know what your argument is here but I got a shot ready for you if you can pull it off lol

 

I just find it interesting that the undrafted guy has outperformed 2 first round picks that several people in this fanbase argue over who is better than the other, Jones v. Haskins.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...