Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As per NFL.com (and others) Redskins trade with Panthers for Kyle allen (QB)

35 minutes ago, owa said:

Allen shows promise but the turnovers are such a killer.  I like some of what I saw though so it will be interesting to see it play out.  I saw an article where Brian Mitchell said we shouldn't draft a QB high until we fix the rest of the team.  I don't agree with that.  Fix the rest of the team first and even with average (or maybe below aveage) QBs like Allen and Haskins) and I think we win too many games to make a top 5 pick at QB.  Personally, I think you've got to go with what you think is a franchise QB when you suck and have a  high draft pick.  If your team around the QB is good enough so you're winning games with average play from the QB you won't have a high draft pick to pick a franchise QB.   I don't know, just makes sense to me...

More thoughts...Joe Burrow could end up being damaged by their o-line even though he is currently putting up good numbers. I guess we'll see.   I feel like we killed Patrick Ramsey by putting him out there without adequate protection but I think a lot of that was his own fault and just him holding on to the ball too long.  Still, I'd rather draft someone they think is a franchise QB while we have a high draft pick than to wait until we're marginally good and having a lower draft pick.  Personally, I'm hoping Allen or Haskins will be the answer though since I'm tired of waiting for the next QB of the Redskins.  Just wish someone would take hold of the position so we can run with it and bolster the rest of the team.

Edited by owa
10 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Allen and Washington opened at +3 and now a pickem vs Dallas. That's a good sign line movement wise. That's embarrassing for Dallas considering all their weapons on offense. I'm liking our chances this week.

Oh boy...

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/did-kyle-allen-leave-deep-shots-field-film-expert-says-yes

Some clips of a few of the shots Allen could have taken last week. The last clip I mentioned earlier in this thread, a deep dig to McLaurin. We'll need him to hit on more of these for defenses to respect our passing game. The Cowboys secondary is the one to get it done against. 

• Like 1

The throw to McLaurin on the streak is the most confusing- not sure why his ball placement was where it was. Even after hesitating, he still had room to put the ball into the endzone before the Safety arrived. There are 2 or 3 TDs in these clips that are off the board. He should look better this week. 

Very Alex Smith-esque game by Allen. No TOs, hit the deep ball when it was there, moved the chains & looked good in the pocket under pressure. 

Steady QB play, build a lead & unleash the DL on the opposing QB.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

So outside of the rams game in week 1, every team scored at least 38 against Dallas. Putting up 25 against this team is not exactly reason to plan a parade.

We were up 22-3 in the 1st half, it’s not like we needed to score 38 points, lol. 

• Like 3
Just now, GOATFrerotte said:

We were up 22-3 in the 1st half, it’s not like we needed to score 38 points, lol. 

It was a conservative game plan and Kyle did fine, but anyone that uses this game as any sort of barometer isn’t doing themselves any favors. He made some nice throws, players made some tough catches. No complaints but this is essentially the ceiling for this offense.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

It was a conservative game plan and Kyle did fine, but anyone that uses this game as any sort of barometer isn’t doing themselves any favors. He made some nice throws, players made some tough catches. No complaints but this is essentially the ceiling for this offense.

We won 25-3 and you’re complaining, lol. Should change your name to PartyPooper

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It was good to see Allen have a good game and not have any major mistakes.  Hope he can keep it up and hope our running game can build on this game as well.

14 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

So outside of the rams game in week 1, every team scored at least 38 against Dallas. Putting up 25 against this team is not exactly reason to plan a parade.

John Riggins would like a word with you....

Everyone who loosely throws out Alex Smith comparisons this is the game to do so. Great game management overall by Allen, especially in the first half (anyone could’ve managed the second half). The game plan and talent favored Washington but he assisted in capturing momentum and didn’t do anything to relinquish it to Dallas. 

The Giant loss stings a bit more after this week 😕

48 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Allen does a nice job of avoiding sacks -- goes a long way. And solid on third down. He'll be in the league for a decade

I see so much more upside with avoiding sacks and manipulating the pockets, but not sure he has it in him. He should be much more dynamic with his legs with his ability. 

It was encouraging to see him try and climb the pocket a few times and explore the A and B gaps as well. Truly believe this a critical thing for him this year, his ability manage the pocket and hit some run lanes up the middle for timely scrambles. Excited to see if he continues to work at this, especially after seeing him try today. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

We won 25-3 and you’re complaining, lol. Should change your name to PartyPooper

Agree! 111.1 QB R via ESPN; laid off the gas in the second half - theres no reason to not be happy w/ this performance 😃

• Like 3

Not bad. He doesn’t seem to read the field well and stares guys down intently, but guys were running wide open because of Mike Nolan’s super intricate A+ quality defensive scheme. I worry about the 6+ turnover game he’ll have against a better D. That said, he is also way more mobile and has been way more accurate in the short game than Haskins.

Same thing I have said for Haskins

You don't need Allen out there throwing for 300 yds. As long as he controls the turnover battle, we can get behind our run game and our D-Fence.

That will keep you in the majority of games against bad and medium teams. We are not quite ready for the Big Dogs yet and that is OK.

Games like today is pretty much what you are looking for given our roster construction

26 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Everyone who loosely throws out Alex Smith comparisons this is the game to do so. Great game management overall by Allen, especially in the first half (anyone could’ve managed the second half). The game plan and talent favored Washington but he assisted in capturing momentum and didn’t do anything to relinquish it to Dallas. 

And to me it would be one of the better Alex Smith games when we had him, like the one versus Arizona versus lets say the one versus Tampa Bay or the Texans.  I was actually thinking Alex Smith, at his best, while watching that one.   He showed some mobility when needed.  And he didn't just manage the game but also made some big throws when needed albeit most of what he did was conservative.

If he plays like this game in and game out, they can win with him.  But alas that's not been how his young career has been so far so i am not banking on it.

Interesting that Kyle has learned from Alex.  I was wondering some about it when I read the WP story about a player urging Haskins to model Alex -- I wondered how Kyle is doing on that front?  You'd figure Alex is the perfect mentor to Kyle because Kyle's career issue has been turnovers and Alex's niche is avoing turnovers.

• Like 3