Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As per NFL.com (and others) Redskins trade with Panthers for Kyle allen (QB)

MartinC

3 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Allen is in a dream position. He's replacing a starter who has basically no chance of taking his job back from him, and his backup hasn't played a down since coming back from a life-threatening injury.

I wouldn’t call playing behind our offensive line a dream position!

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Every time I see this thread, my eyes key in on "trade" and I think we got something for Haskins. 

Allen needs a new thread.

Agreed!  I was thinking of a thread title involving an Allen Wrench...

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Which would you rather have:

- An 8-8 record with Allen

- A 3-13 record with Haskins

My “you need a top qb to consistently compete for a championship” gene says: Go for 3-13 and hope you get a shot at a transformational player that helps you to win in the long run.

My “I’m getting old, I’m tired of backing a losing team and I’m not sure I’ll even be around in the long run anyway” gene says: To finish a season 7-5 hasn’t been done around these parts in a mess of years. Doing so is likely to put us right in the thick of the division race plus it makes every Sunday fun again.

I’ll take my chances as an underdog in the playoffs rather than pinning everything on hitting a lottery ticket in May.

7 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

My “you need a top qb to consistently compete for a championship” gene says: Go for 3-13 and hope you get a shot at a transformational player that helps you to win in the long run.

My “I’m getting old, I’m tired of backing a losing team and I’m not sure I’ll even be around in the long run anyway” gene says: To finish a season 7-5 hasn’t been done around these parts in a mess of years. Doing so is likely to put us right in the thick of the division race plus it makes every Sunday fun again.

I’ll take my chances as an underdog in the playoffs rather than pinning everything on hitting a lottery ticket in May.

Im always about maximizing value each season and when meaningful games are played in later stages of the season, that’s great value. Competing for SB is the optimal goal, but it’s no guarantee either way you go about it, sucking or be middling for a year. 

Always want an at bat in the post-season. Tremendous fan value. 

I thought he looked good in the first quarter with no preseason.  He is definitely more mobile than Haskins.  Then the cheap shop came in with pouring down rain.  Really couldn't evaluate him.  He should be the starter next week at New York.  It was touching seeing Smith make a comeback infront of his kids, I really respect the guy.  But he is not the answer moving forward.  

I think he played well, 9/13 for 74 yards and made a play with his feet to get a TD, gave up his body to get a 1st down.

He only played 18 minutes so I think he would have become more comfortable although our defense was gonna have us chasing all game and that's not gonna be good for business with this O line.

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Can't say I saw anything from him, though, that would make me feel the offense would really be any different or better.

He wasn't in there long,and I thought the offense looked a little better with Allen compared  to  Haskins but why wasn't Smith second in line?

I think he played well enough to keep him as the starter, though that's not saying much considering the alternatives. I think he's the best QB on the team for this system right now. I'm not really sold that he's anything more than a decent journeyman backup but at least he can scramble better than Haskins and gets the ball out to checkdowns quicker when there's pressure.

Didn't really get to see a ton from him. Not sure whether it was just the pressure or the pressure + play design, but he mostly dinked and dunked to checkdowns. Which is ok in general, if that's what a defense gives you. But when you're evaluating a QB you want to see if he can get the ball downfield too.

I think all around we're just a ****ty team right now, especially our OL and lack of talent receiving, so it's not going to be easy to fully evaluate a QB, but I'm assuming by the end of the season we'll have a decent idea of whether Allen is "the guy" or not. If not, I hope he wasn't juuust good enough to get us out of prime draft position. Then we'd have no QB of the future AND not have a top 3 pick to possibly get one.

6 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

He wasn't in there long,and I thought the offense looked a little better with Allen compared  to  Haskins but why wasn't Smith second in line?

He had drives of:

- 5 yds (3 and out)

4 yds (3 and out)

9 yds (was injured on the 3rd play)

11 yds

17 yds

58 yds (TD)--15 yards were from a defensive penalty

I fail to see how that's "looking a little better" than with Haskins.

8 hours ago, Califan007 said:

He had drives of:

- 5 yds (3 and out)

4 yds (3 and out)

9 yds (was injured on the 3rd play)

11 yds

17 yds

58 yds (TD)--15 yards were from a defensive penalty

I fail to see how that's "looking a little better" than with Haskins.

Part of it is perception. Part of it is the legs. 

Allen looked similar to Haskins as a passer, to be honest. A little off accuracy wise. Slower release. Better mobility.

The mobility component is the big thing for me in the NFL. The touchdown run showed that he has some serious speed. That is something that can buy you a lot of development time in the NFL. So, I like Allen. I want our next QB to be fairly mobile. If we go with a pocket passer, the team has to focus completely on the offensive line. Not just a few upgrades, but almost an entire new set up.

But that was kind of a tangent: To answer your question: I don't think it was necessarily better than Haskins as a thrower, it was the fact that he can use his legs to bail the team out that made the optics better. Here's the problem with Allen... and we saw it TWICE in the game... He has no desire to slide.

Archived