Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

Confirmed case of covid at my place of work.  Maybe it's good that I have been on quarantine since I got back from St. Thomas.  I've only been in the building one day (last Tuesday) since March 6th.  I'm pretty sure I am safe. They haven't said what floor the person works on or who it is or anything yet.

• Sad 2

Installed my first door ever today.  Turned out pretty well.  To make a long story short, to get my latest arcade game in my basement, I had to rip the door jambs off in order to get it through the door because it was too narrow.  Then I found out there was some hackjob installation of the previous door and that they could have installed a larger door.  So that is what I did in case I ever move them up or get more that are wide.  My door prior was 30" but had 29" clearance with the door stopper.  New one is 32" with 31" clearance.  I special ordered it from Home Depot February 21st and it came in yesterday because I needed custom jamb widths.  Standard is like 4.25" I think and I needed 3.25" since my door frame is made with 2x3's instead of 2x4's.

E19Szz5.jpg

Just put the door knob on which was more of a pain in the ass than expected, and tomorrow the trim will go up.  

• Like 5

I am killing some time lo these long weeks of paternity leave and quarantine by reading The Athletic’s VERY LONG rundown of the 100 greatest baseball players of all time. It was supposed to be completed by opening day, so they are into the top 10 now. Each one is a DEEP dive, which serves my purpose of wasting time with sports stuff during a time without sports. Here is how the author describes the length:

Over the next 100 days, I will be counting down the 100 greatest baseball players in history, each with an essay. In all, this project will contain roughly as many words as “Moby Dick.”

Anyways, lots of interesting stories about all-timers, most of whom I’m too young to have seen or really appreciate. I just finished the one about Satchel Paige. 

Paige’s control was so reliable that he could waste pitches all the time in an effort to get hitters to chase. It never bothered him to get three balls on a batter. The way he figured it, “When I got three and two on a batter, I ain’t in the hole. The batter is. He knows the next one is gonna get a piece of the plate, and he’s gotta swing.”

“Now, I ain’t braggin’ about my control,” he would add. “It ain’t my fault I have it.”

Later, when the fastball slowed some, Paige did add a curveball. He added a lot of pitches and he gave a name to every one of them. “I got bloopers, loopers and droopers. I got a jump ball, a be ball, a screwball, a wobbly ball, a whipsy-dipsy-do, a hurry-up ball, a nothin’ ball and a bat dodger.” He also had the midnight crawler, the midnight rider, the trouble ball, Long Tom, and his famous hesitation pitch where he would stop his windup in the middle, hold it for an instant, and then throw. He said he learned that when throwing bricks as a child.

Here is some crazy **** about Nolan Ryan. Sure, he has a bajillion K’s and no hitters and walks, here is some context. 

The record in the non-Nolan world for strikeouts is 4,875, held by Hall of Famer Randy Johnson.

Ryan struck out 5,714.

The record in the non-Nolan world for walks is 1,833, held by Hall of Famer Steve Carlton … just ahead of the 1,809 walks by another Hall of Famer, Phil Niekro.

Ryan walked 2,795.

The record for most no-hitters in the non-Nolan world is four, held by Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax.

Ryan pitched seven no-hitters.

The record in the non-Nolan world for stolen bases allowed is 547, held by Hall of Famer Greg Maddux.

Ryan allowed 757 stolen bases.

The pitcher over the past 100 years with the most errors in the non-Nolan world is Hall of Famer Don Drysdale, with 59.

Ryan committed 91 errors.

The record for fewest hits per nine innings in the non-Nolan world is 6.8 and is currently shared by Koufax and future Hall of Famer Clayton Kershaw.

Ryan allowed 6.6 hits per nine innings.

The modern record in the non-Nolan world for wild pitches is 226 and belongs to Niekro, who threw a knuckleball that would do whatever it wanted to do.

Ryan threw 277 wild pitches.

The modern record for losses in the non-Nolan world is 279 and belongs to Hall of Famer Walter Johnson.

Ryan lost 292 games.

The record for most complete games allowing two hits or fewer in the non-Nolan world is 25, held by the Big Train, Walter Johnson.

Ryan threw 37 two-hitters or better.

You understand the point, right? He’s incomparable.

Nearly 1000 more Ks and walks than the next guy. Lol. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@PleaseBlitz Joe Posnanski is the author, he's amazing and he's the only reason I subscribed to The Athletic.  He was doing this rundown on his Patreon site when he started writing for The Athletic and his Patreon subscribers got their first year of The Athletic for free.  He's actually the only worthwhile writer on there, to me.  There are some other ones but the Baseball 100 is truly special.  The Mickey Mantle one is fantastic, so is the one about Josh Gibson and Mike Schmidt.

• Like 1

He’s an excellent storyteller. I think the Athletic has ton of talent.*. It basically snapped up all of the good writers when ESPN decided to focus on morons yelling at each other.  I read the Mickey Mantle piece earlier today and it just made me sad. It was also by far the shortest one, I got the feeling that it made Posnanski sad to write it. And not one story about Mantle being a millionaire alcoholic baseball God in NYC in his twenties. WTF. 

*Along with some dregs. Nobody should let Grant Paulsen work for the same outlet as Peter Gammons, seriously. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

i won't name names but there are a few famous redskins fans on twitter that most of us know who is spewing alot of bull**** like this hoax is fake, blaming democrats working with china to develop this virus and the national guard is posting up in baltimore (when it fact it was the image of them coming down to fedex)

13 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Intrigued.

11 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

ok not famous on that level but at least so called "superfans" you would recognize at the games lol 

11 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Why not name names?  Twitter is a public forum, it's not like you are keeping their secret.  

11 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I'm with you, name the fools.

11 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah.

Post them 2k, or your life is forfeit

Excommunicado

tenore64cd1508986f0dc.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I am killing some time lo these long weeks of paternity leave and quarantine by reading The Athletic’s VERY LONG rundown of the 100 greatest baseball players of all time. It was supposed to be completed by opening day, so they are into the top 10 now. Each one is a DEEP dive, which serves my purpose of wasting time with sports stuff during a time without sports. Here is how the author describes the length:

This reminds me of when I used to be really into baseball and sports in general.  I think one of the best books on baseball I've read was Summer of 49'.  It's been a while, but it was just so interesting, and not just the sports aspects, but also the difference in that time period and how those players lived. 

https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Harper-Perennial-Modern-Classics/dp/0060884266

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I mean you can still shave your face but the hair game is getting out of control tbh.

Meh, I'm bald. No worries here.

I had a sick beard going but full shaved a couple weeks before the quarantine.