Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There's something important to remember here... Online classes are probably the best of a set of bad choices, but I've looked at the research and it's pretty stark.. the outcomes for most students in a fully online setting are TERRIBLE. I'm talking like 30% on time graduation rate vs 80+% for online schools vs brick and mortar schools in Michigan, for example. I'm in my phone and those numbers are from memory, but it's close and easy to find on Google.

I've been harping on this with my colleagues... The research shows that in order to be successful in a purely online setting, students require self-regulation and organizational skills that most kids (and adults) just don't have. And there's very little research at all on how online studies impact students with disabilities, for example.

It's easy to say "the resources are there... All they have to do is log on". Heck, I'VE said it this year and I know better.

The reality is, though, that a lot of kids are going to be hurt by this gap, and schools are weighing that against the health issues. It's not easy.

An enhanced "summer slide" is another big problem that's probably coming.  

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/05/17/long-summer-students-coronavirus-259201

Anyway, I just posted that since the discussion turned that direction. Sorry for the bummer in a generally light-hearted thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, visionary said:

Noticed earlier that the third book in Rothfuss' Kingkiller series is out in August.

I’m banning you if you’re lying,  be right back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Destino said:

I’m banning you if you’re lying,  be right back.

Actually, I'm not sure anymore.  I checked it at first and thought I saw that it was, but now I'm seeing it's just a rumor?  😨

Edited by visionary
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, visionary said:

Actually, I'm not sure anymore.  I checked it at first and thought I saw that it was, but now I'm seeing it's just a rumor?  😨

Yeah it looks like a rumor, and I can’t blame you for seeing it and getting excited.  I hope it’s true.  Some of my favorite fantasy authors all lost their stuff around the same time.  Rothfuss, GRRM, and even Butcher who was the next best thing to Sanderson when it came to cranking out books.  Write damn you!  

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, visionary said:

On the other hand I also saw that The Order is starting up again on Netflix next month.

I watched all of season 1 thinking "this show is childish bull****" and yet there are sat eyes forward.  I imagine season 2 will play out the same way.  Can't wait. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I hadn't been on Netflix in a minute. I go back, and boom, Castlevania S3, and a host of other content. They're printing money.

The show is still being way overwritten, and it can make you cringe when it's blatant, but the third season is better than the first two IMO.  The world they've filled in from pretty spotty Konami lore is pretty spectacular and, on the whole, the show is better than could be reasonably expected from an adaptation of an old school Japanese video game.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The show is still being way overwritten, and it can make you cringe when it's blatant, but the third season is better than the first two IMO.  The world they've filled in from pretty spotty Konami lore is pretty spectacular and, on the whole, the show is better than could be reasonably expected from an adaptation of an old school Japanese video game.

Hey, my standards are basically Alone In The Dark when it comes to gaming adaptations. This **** could get an Emmy by comparison

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Haha 2
45 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Just started watching Ozark.  Not bad yet.  

rick's been telling me to watch that for a couple years and i was just getting ready to put it in front of killing eve, but i heard netfilx cancelled it and that slowed my roll as i usually have a lot less interest in starting a show if its run ended without a series arc that includes a foreknown final season and planned series finale...but i will likely still do it (don't want to type more on why cuz it might be spoiler-ish, not sure)

also, i know we have a thread for what new tv to watch and discussion there that is overlapping in here but given the fit of that subject in terms of what folks are doing during whatever downtime/quarantine situation they're dealing with, i think some is inevitable

Went to the park yesterday. Happy to say people were social distancing quite well. We had a group of 8 people and we were well away from anyone else and had masks and sanitizer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Went to the park yesterday. Happy to say people were social distancing quite well. We had a group of 8 people and we were well away from anyone else and had masks and sanitizer.

Missourians say hi...and did someone say Ozark?

⬆️ yesterday at Land of the Ozarks

Edited by The Evil Genius

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/video-canadian-woman-creates-hug-glove-to-hug-her-mother-safely-amidst-covid-19-pandemic/ar-BB14qYq2?li=BBnb7Kz

Canadian Woman Creates ‘Hug Glove’ To Hug Her Mother Safely Amidst COVID-19 Pandemic

We have all been forced to adopt the new normal due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Shaking hands and even hugging the people we love can be risky at times.

Missing her mother's hugs, a Canadian woman came up with a brilliant invention called a 'Hug Glove' and the video of their hug is absolutely heartwarming.

According to a report by AFP, Carolyn Ellis and her husband Andrew invented the Hug Glove in conjunction with Mother’s Day. The Hug Glove is basically a plastic tarp with four sleeves hanging from a clothesline.

Ellis shared that they taped plastic sleeves to a large tarp, allowing two people to hug each other without making direct contact. “It was very much a time effort, trying to figure out the size and the height of the holes." “We worked on it until late hours of Saturday night, and then we had everything set up for Mother’s Day on Sunday. It was a great gift," said Ellis.

A video of her hugging her mother went viral on social media and Ellis said she was surprised by it.

(video at link)

hug.jpg

hug 2.jpg

hug 3.jpg

• Thanks 1

Civilization 6 is free this week on Epic Games. Apparently they're giving away a game every week to try to take market share from Steam. There is some controversy about their app, but if you're willing to install it, free stuff.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, techboy said:

Civilization 6 is free this week on Epic Games. Apparently they're giving away a game every week to try to take market share from Steam. There is some controversy about their app, but if you're willing to install it, free stuff.

I haven't played Civilization since the first few versions. How is 6?

1 minute ago, Corcaigh said:

I haven't played it much yet, but it's free and seems to get pretty good reviews.

4 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Game is far more competitive these days; more geared towards quicker games vs multiple human opponents. 

You can still play single player and take your time. 

I believe you'll even get a $10 coupon if you create a new account and "purchase" Civilization VI for free. (counts as your first purchase or something like that) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Mooka said:

I believe you'll even get a $10 coupon if you create a new account and "purchase" Civilization VI for free. (counts as your first purchase or something like that) 

I read that too, and just checked my new account... Yes, there is a coupon in there for $10 off a purchase of 14.99 or more. Expires in October. The suggestion I read in the context of Civ 6 is if you like it, you can use the coupon towards the pack that has all the DLCs they came out with later, bringing it down to under 30 dollars. I might do that if I end up enjoying it.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Much like the previous versions Civ 6 is like a crack addiction. Game franchise is an absolute time burglar and worth every second imo.

Edited by clietas
Posted (edited)

Was watching The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs on Shudder, specifically the one that showed Troma's War and had Troma Entertainment's co-founder Lloyd Kaufman on there discussing/talking with Joe Bob.  They mentioned a Troma Now streaming service, looked into it, I'm not getting it but discovered that if you have an Amazon Prime membership and search "Troma" it brings up hundreds of movies from Troma Entertainment (well it listed 350 related hits) that are included with your Prime membership.

If you are a fan of B-side horror/sci-fi movies like I am (because who doesn't love horrible acting, effects, etc. especially from the 80s-90s), check it out.  Toxic Avenger movies, Class of Nuke'em High, Surf Nazis Must Die, etc.  

Edit:  Looks like there is a mix of Troma films and other b-side horror/sci-fi movies as well.  Either way, solid gold for me.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Thanks 1