No Excuses

The Quarantine Thread

Figured we could use a separate thread for this that doesn’t contain any COVID-19 news but rather focuses on what to do while your quarantined inside your home for what might be weeks or more. I assume a lot of us are now teleworking in some capacity. Anxiety inducing times but we are planning on making the best of it in our home and as memorable as possible

So how are we entertaining ourselves? Post what you’re binging, playing, cooking etc. I have a huge backlog of movies and games to get through. We started day 1 of our self quarantine yesterday by watching The Death of Stalin. Dark comedic take on what followed Stalin’s death. 10/10 would highly recommend. 

Also thinking about starting to go through my game backlog with Far Cry 5. Wife and I are also restarting couch co-op game called Overcooked 2. She doesn’t game at all but loves this game. We already beat it entirely once but thinking of doing a second play through. Highly recommend it as a co-op game to pass time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Put your feet up on the A/C?

In all seriousness, both my wife and I are home on leave for the birth of our second kid, now 3 weeks old. 

We are concurrently watching Hunters (good, but with some unnecessary Tarantino stuff going on) and The Witcher  (also good but hard to follow). 

I am also working on yet another playthrough of Fallout 4, this time with a bunch of Creation Club content. 

Also subscribed to MasterClass, currently working through the first course on cooking with Thomas Keller, my culinary hero. After that im going do the art of negotiations with some FBI hostage rescue guy. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

Virginia has shut school statewide for next two weeks.  We'll probably try to get a PhD in Disney+

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well my daughter's school announced closure today, as did my son's university.  I'll go pick him up tomorrow and we'll see how stir crazy we get with all four of us together in the house for an extended period.  I expect my kids will be binging lots of anime.

• Like 1

Working in healthcare means I'm going to be working unless I catch COVID19 or come in contact with someone who has it. Only good thing about today was being able to shave off 15 minutes due to lack of traffic.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

I'd suggest streaming 28 days later and then move on to Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland. 

Also PB, Witcher was easier for me to comprehend  because I had played some of the game(s). Def recommend checking out Witcher 3 on Xbox/PS. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

My wife is a Nurse so she doesn't get to self quarantine and I work retail so until things really get bad,I'm working as well. That said,my wife and I,outside of work,have decided to stay at the house.  We have plenty of inside and outside projects,(including building planters and such for a growing and growing garden),so we'll keep busy with all those. We added two big store trips the past couple of days,(adding on to stuff I had already been buying),so that trips to the store should be at a bare minimum for the next few months. Keeping the odds down if we can. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've worked from home for my company the last 8 years.  So business as usual for me.  Wife can work remote and does some from time to time, she's just waiting on her boss to approve their office to go remote (only 6-7 people).  They haven't closed our schools down yet, but when they do my 12 year old daughter will do what she normally does, stay in her room and watch TV/youtube, video games, etc.

The norm for us is to stock up on frozen food meals anyhow as we have a ton of freezer space (coffin cabinet freezer and old fridge w/freezer in the garage and our fridge/freezer in the house), probably already had 2-3 weeks of meals in there before all of this started.  We usually wait until they run specials on like the lean cuisines, etc. and would buy like 30 of them at a time.  

I did stock up on beer, like a **** ton, just so we wouldn't have to go out for a while and if there was a quarantine that impacted us.  Not lying that we are good to go for at least 30 days, if not more.  We are just staying informed and only really going to the store for groceries right now.  When I'm not working, I'll be in my man cave playing video games and watching TV shows/movies. 

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 2

Felt a twinge of panic when going grocery shopping and seeing the parking lot full, all of the shopping carts taken (seriously, I had to go back out into the parking lot to find one), the occasional empty spots in the shelves, the carts crammed with water and towels (usually only during hurricane season), and the general hidden anxiety of everyone. Very odd.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'd suggest streaming 28 days later and then move on to Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland. 

Contagion was the top trending movie last night on iTunes. People in this country are nuts. Like there is enough anxiety to go around, AND YOU ARE ENTERTAINING YOURSELF WITH MORE ANXIETY.

3 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Felt a twinge of panic when going grocery shopping and seeing the parking lot full, all of the shopping carts taken (seriously, I had to go back out into the parking lot to find one), the occasional empty spots in the shelves, the carts crammed with water and towels (usually only during hurricane season), and the general hidden anxiety of everyone. Very odd.

Try Amazon Prime Fresh or Amazon Whole Foods delivery if its offered in your area. Groceries are getting cleaned out here as well, but we managed to get everything we need by just ordering through the Amazon app.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I work from home, how much will be getting done determines on a lot of things that are out of my control.

Probably going to get better at Photoshop.  That's been on the list of things to do for awhile now.  

I've got kettlebells, a pull up bar and a rowing machine here, too.  

PS4, probably dust off Madden, Call of Duty, GTA.  MLB The Show comes out next week, might get that since there's no baseball.

I've got a **** ton of baseball cards to sit through and sort.  Yes, laugh at me.

Dig through the record collection, play some music that I haven't listened to in awhile.

Like @PleaseBlitz I've got a MasterClass with Annie Leibovitz that I purchased awhile back and immediately hated myself as soon as I started it.  I might watch those classes and see if it's not as bad as I thought it was.

Clean the apartment, clean the kitchen.

10 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Try Amazon Prime Fresh or Amazon Whole Foods delivery if its offered in your area. Groceries are getting cleaned out here as well, but we managed to get everything we need by just ordering through the Amazon app.

Costco delivers, too.  I went at lunch today, the parking lot looked like Thanksgiving, I turned around immediately.  Came home and ordered stuff online.  They didn't have this capability in my area a few months ago, now they do.  The stuff is scheduled to arrive tomorrow between 10 and 11 am, curious to see how much of it shows up.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

Agreed, Evil one. People are acting like this is the damn plague.

We're going to make sure to take walks, make grocery and beer runs, etc. Just reasonable and with all the appropriate precautions.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JCB said:

Agreed, Evil one. People are acting like this is the damn plague.

We're going to make sure to take walks, make grocery and beer runs, etc. Just reasonable and with all the appropriate precautions.

You can also minimize it be going in off hours. Get to the store when it opens at 6am...ot find the grocery store thats open 24hrs and go at 2am..yeah it sucks but that's first world problems. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Since schools will be closed on Mondays until further notice, I'll have to stay at home to watch over them when wife will be working. She's also a nurse so no way she's gonna stay home.

Count on me singing I want to break free all day long... And spend time working on Smartsheets and make sure my girls are still doing their homework or something close to it...

• Like 1

I'm in St. Thomas until next Monday.  Weather is ****ing fantastic.  Maybe I should just stay here.

I know my son's school is closed and it's looking like my work may go remote for a bit but it's not confirmed yet. 

42 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Contagion was the top trending movie last night on iTunes. People in this country are nuts. Like there is enough anxiety to go around, AND YOU ARE ENTERTAINING YOURSELF WITH MORE ANXIETY.

Is it a good movie?

In about 2 months, I’m going to have some hard choices to make. Do I drink the “good” wine even though it’s not a special occasion, or subject myself to the Miller Lite that I only keep around for guests that I don’t like all that much. :) 

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. 

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Planning to get through some of the games I have piling up on PC and PS4 from recent sales.  

Trying to minimize or eliminate going out to shop if possible. 

Though I did go out yesterday to pick something up that I had ordered a week or so ago and ended up getting another shirt for my dad while there.  

I also have a gamestop (in store only) coupon to use up later this month, but not sure if I'll get the chance. 

I was planning to put it towards Doom for my dad, but not sure now.

I don't go out a lot anyway though other than to eat out on occasion or rarely to shop, so it isn't as much a change for me as it is for others.  

Edited by visionary

Posted (edited)

Don't quote that. lol

I've been playing Wolfenstein Young blood and Red Dead Redemption 2 a lot lately.  

Also working on my homebrew D&D campaign that I've been running with my family.  

I should probably get some writing or editing done too, but it's been hard to focus the past few months. 

Edited by visionary

The new league for Path of Exile is out today (Diablo style game but free). And depending on how long the quarantine lasts, Persona 5 Royal and the Final Fantasy 7 remake. 

I still play Diablo III.  Season 20 starts today and I'm going to play it.

2K has a publisher's sale on Steam this weekend too.  NBA 2k20, Borderlands 3, and the Civilization and Bioshock franchises are all deeply discounted.

Posted (edited)

Teleworking as much as possible for the foreseeable future. I bought a bunch of computer parts over the holidays to build a gaming rig that I haven’t had time to put together, so I’ll spend my indoor time happily tinkering with that once my wife and I can’t stand each other anymore. :)

edit @stevemcqueen1 aaand there’s some good motivation for me to get it up and running this weekend haha!

Edited by RansomthePasserby
  • Like 1