Lovi

How will the Redskins handle the Corona problem?

NCAA Tournaments being cancelled and looks like all Pro Days after March 20 may be as well.

Faux John Madden on Twitter says "Everything getting canceled but our bills"

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

There's really no reason to move the start of the league year.  All of the new league year business can be done remotely wearing fuzzy bunny slippers on a cell phone.  

• Like 1

Great. Public schools in MD closed for 2 weeks.  My 5 kids are gonna make it a madhouse. Sigh...

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There's really no reason to move the start of the league year.  All of the new league year business can be done remotely wearing fuzzy bunny slippers on a cell phone.  

So JP on the Redskins Talk Pod brought up an interesting point: the contracts won’t be a problem.  Physicals will be. That’s something I hadn’t considered.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Lovi said:

Great. Public schools in MD closed for 2 weeks.  My 5 kids are gonna make it a madhouse. Sigh...

Put them to work like our dad's did to us. Lol

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So JP on the Redskins Talk Pod brought up an interesting point: the contracts won’t be a problem.  Physicals will be. That’s something I hadn’t considered.

That and the optics of players striking multi million dollar contracts while everyone else is out of work or sick.

Edited by rumplestilskin
  • Like 2

Plenty of time to look at tape. Most of these free agents are making plenty enough cash to get to the facility with minimum risk for a physical.  The draft can happen without anyone needing to travel and can be handled from each clubs war room.  Top players get robbed on the boat ride to the stage and hug with the commish, but they won't care when they get their first check.  I think this will be contained in the US in no more than 2 months and the football season will get off on time.

Baseball probably won't start until May, but they can easily shorten the season by 20 games and still finish up on time (Baseball season is too long anyway).

Hockey probably starts up with playoffs.  Depending on how long, it may have to be an abbreviated version.

NBA regular season is probably over, some shortened  form of playoffs to follow (Maybe they just proclaim the Lakers and Kng James champions.)

College sports fall championships and Spring sports are done.  That really stinks because March Madness is the best.

Nascar is the wild card.  They are going to run the next two races without any fans.  Talladega is in just over a month, they will be back to full speed by then (I have an infield parking space and will attend without hesitation).

The owners and leagues have to take the position they are now because of the optics (and it's the right thing to do).  Ultimately it will be about revenue loss and all the owners will be pushing with the first good news on containment. 

Ya'll stay safe out there.

• Thanks 2

The idea that NFL teams might draft players based on 4 years of actual on field performance instead of a few hours of running around in shorts is just downright scary.

Not sure how anyone will cope.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

They can easily postpone everything.   Remember when the 2011 lockout ended, they had free agency in August. Yes, you do free agency on the phone but I think you would want to make sure the person you sign can pass a physical.  They can delay free agency until May.  By then, we will have a better feeling on how things are going.

The draft should be moved until late May. Obviously, if things are still bad in May; you can push things later.  If things are still bad when it's time for training camp; then football really should be the last thing to worry about.  IF we are still dealing with this in July; odds are the worst case scenario has happened.  That means millions have contracted it and maybe the deaths are real high by then. 

22 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You in wait and see mode, @pez and @Huly question, or let the eventual ban handle that? I'm in a different demographic then you, so I get whatever concern you havent touched on yet, I want to come, but expect to be told I cant at this rate.

I'm perfectly fine with a Redskins coronavirus thread (as long as it stays specific to the redskins, or move to ATN) as I dont believe I've seen an official statement from the NFL yet. Likely because it's the offseason.

We havent seen whether this is going to spike or gradually level out, the later will definetly overlap with preseason at this rate. Until stated otherwise, the whole world is going to be hitting the pause button for 2020, Redskins will be no exception.

We are definitely in "wait and see" mode.

I have already given this a lot of thought,  but am not ready to share, yet. 

We'll just have to see what happens, as this unfolds.

• Like 2

Have a local Dr. sign an NDA and get paid by the teams to do a physical where the player is located.  That should suffice for what they need to pass.  It's as simple as giving them their guidelines and having them tested to those.

On 3/12/2020 at 9:11 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I was talking to someone about that. It actually put Corona beer in my thoughts, I usually only drink it during the summer but I'm considering it now.  But then again what brand wants to be the name of a deadly virus?  

"Hold my beer." - AYDS diet candy

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Not making a joke or light of the situation the world is in but I'll say it. If i was a professional athlete the last team id want to play for right now would be the Redskins because of our track record of injuries and medical related decision making. 

Edited by JoeJacobyHOForRIOT

On 3/19/2020 at 3:43 PM, Number 44 said:

Saints head coach Sean Payton just tested positive for corona virus.

Interesting how all these people with no symptoms paid for a test and we're positive, while most actually sick people can't get one.

I'm sure there has to be 10s of thousands already carrying it that don't have any idea they've been exposed to anything.

• Thanks 1