Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Redskins' generation are you and what's your first "live" 'skins memory

I am 73 and go back to the teams of the mid-late 1950s with Eddie Lebaron, Don Bossler, Dick James and others. A win in those days was cause for celebration. I remember Sam Baker kicked a field goal to beat the Colts and I ran up and down the street celebrating. We lived in Florida but the Redskins owned the South and all the games were on TV in black and white with Jim Gibbons doing the play by play and Eddie Gallagher commenting. In those days the players all had to have off season jobs and we had a new TV delivered by a Chicago Bears player who had played against the Redskins the year before. I remember him saying, yeah we beat the Redkins.

We moved back to Arlington, VA and I saw the first game played at then DC Stadium in 1961 against the Giants. Tickets were first come first served $6.00.

Edited by Smurf3
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As a ten year old, I remember watching Sonny Jurgensen on televison when the Skins would lose because of bad defense and Sonny would throw for 3-5 touchdowns each game.

He had Bobby Mitchell, Jerry Smith and Taylor for good receivers.   Years later I flew from Virginia to Pasadena California for the Super Bowl when John Riggins

ran down the sideline after stiff arming a Dolphin cornerback for a touchdown and the Skins win.   The stands were shaking and Skins fans were going nuts.  Joe Gibbs

was our Head Coach back then.

• Like 2

The earliest personal memories were of Bill McPeak as Coach and the Snead / Jurgensen trade. Grew up in No. Va. Grandfather and Uncle both owned farms in Fairfax County. Remember when there was nothing but a fruit and vegetable stand at Tysons Corner.

The number of responses that dont match my generation hurts my soul. No ones fault but the Redskins themselves

My first Redskins memory was super early 90s, probably 92, I had no idea what was going on, I was 4 at best, my dad jus said he was going to see the redskins play the giants and look for his sweater on tv. Came back pissed. 

Fast forward to mid90s and I remember sitting in a room by myself watching us get blown out by Dallas.  I didn't really understand what was going in, jus knew it was bad and was watching it alone, it was so quiet could hear a pin drop.

My first memory of a Redskins win was almost a decade after my first Redskins memory. Saw 99 playoff game against Detroit and thought "this is cool", then Tampa game thinkin "this is not cool".

My first full season all in game one was 2001.  I asked my dad if we were gonna be good, he said he didnt know.  That San Diego game was my bloody nose baptism by fire, and we watched the whole thing start to finish, he even let me try his beer.

Watching us start 0-5, win 5 straight, then have it ruined by Dallas set the tone for my fanhood going forward. If I required them to be good to root for my dads favorite team to see him happy, neither of us would. Just because anything can happen doesnt mean anything will, but that's another reason why i watch. I made my peace nearly 20 years ago, I'm 31 and only seen us win 2 playoff games I can remember, some franchises do that by accident in one postseason.

Rock bottom, what the hell is that? My favorite childhood Redskins memories come from a coach of a different generation of fans trying to save mine.

Is what it is at this point, helped prepare for me life, it worked out the way it was going to anyway and way it needed to for me.  Won a bunch of games we ain't got no business winning, I can relate to that.

giphy (58).gif

99 was the first season I became a fan (I was 10)  - I had been a Wiz and Orioles fan since 95/96 but didn’t really start following football until I started reading about the sale of the team and the Brad Johnson trade in the Post. 

The ironic thing is that 99 season has been the team’s best shot at a SB since then

My first live experience, I was already a fan in 1979, was 1983, my dad took me to the MNF game Redskins v Packers at Lambeau Field. I was excited with all the scoring and how the Redskins managed to get into Field goal range with seconds on the clock...only to see Mark Moseley miss the game winning FG. I walked away a sad fan from the 48-47 defeat, but got to miss school the next day!

Favorite players Riggins, Green and Gary Clark.

• Like 2
On 3/5/2020 at 11:23 AM, Burgold said:

Just wondering. How long have you been on this road with the 'skins? What's your first 'skins memory? Live can mean in the stadium or on TV.

My first Redskin memory took place in 1981. It took place before I ever saw a game. It took place before I ever cared or knew a thing about football. I remember it was recess and we had to stay indoors because it was raining. A kid named Mike was ragging on the Redskins and saying how they were going to get crushed by the Cowboys. Like I said, I knew nothing, but I knew you were supposed to support the home team so I stood up and told him he was stupid. We had the kind of argument kids have and at the end he challenged me to put my money where my mouth was. Knowing nothing, I made my first sports bet. I didn't watch that weekend, but I still remember Mike's expression when he came in Monday morning and paid up.

After that, I started watching though I have never made another 'skins bet.

I got lucky in that my fandom started just as the Redskins greatest period in their history was about to launch. How about you? 

What's your first memory? Who was your first Redskin hero?

I have 3 depending upon your criteria:

Memory 1: I was at alpha Beta or Albertsons, some grocery store in the late seventies, I was 3 or 4 years old, had a quarter, put it in one of the machines near the exit, and out popped a Dallas Cowboys helmet. Since I loved Space, I was excited because a star was on it. My brother took it, said it wasn't about space, it was about Cowboys and we hated Cowboys, we liked Indians, and so we were fans of this other team he pointed to on the machine. Since he was 6 or 7 and my older brother, I stopped whining and agreed, and then I became a fan of the Redskins forevermore. My wife is incensed at this, thinks it's beyond idiotic that a kid born and raised a 25 minute drive South of San Francisco should be a Redskins fan just because his older brother told him too in the late seventies, I agree, but I also am stuck, once you get a favorite team, that's it. I have 40 years of memories, the last 28 largely horrible, and formed that attachment during that brief window during elementary school/middle school/high school, and it's locked in. My brother was born in Northern Virginia btw, family moved from the bay out there in '68, came back in '74 right before I was born. 

Memory 2: First time I ever saw the Redskins playing after becoming a fan. September or October of 1981 when I was in 1st grade. I watched very little of the game, was playing football outside, it was during Gibbs first year, the Niners beat us by multiple scores and went on to win the Super Bowl, it also had a really odd turnover on like a screen pass play, I think Lott knocked the ball out. 31-16 Niners (the beginning of a long and horrific streak of defeats to the Niners in my childhood, between first grade through 19998 the Redskins would only win twice, in the 1983 NFC Championship, and on MNF in 1986. Otherwise they lost in 1981, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1990, 1992 Playoffs, 1994, 1996, and 1998, for a 2-9 record between 1st grade and age 23 for me. 

Memory 3: First Live game, Niners win 26-13 in the fall of '90, Rypien looks awful, Niners win during their near threepeat year (oft-forgotten because of the Giants shock win the Super Bowl, Niner fans like the Pats have a lot of reason to hate the Giants. The Niners lost out on two super bowls, including a near threepeat thanks to two flukes. The Niners were one play away from the two minute warning when Craig was stripped of the ball, he'd just run for a first down, they were in Giants territory and the clock was below 2:40 in the 4th quarter. The odds at that point with live betting for a Giants win probably would have been +5000 or something like that. Then they get the fumble and change history, they'd steal a chance at back to back super bowls for the Niners 20 years later when the Niners muffed a punt against them, gifting them a second chance at the pats. I could go on and on about it, it's very annoying to have such an annoying fan bases every super bowl victory since XXI be monstrously impacted by flukes (a fumble just before the 2 minute warning and wide right, the escape, helmet catch etc following the flukey win over the Packers in the title game, then the muffed punt against the niners four years later followed by the miracle to Manningham and Welker's one epic drop game against the Pats: crazy how things have broken their way in '90, '07 and '11).  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Ran across this video that reminded me of why I became a Redskins fan. It's from the 1972 season. I had actually been a fan for a few years. Started in 1969. Honestly do not remember any specific games. Was just 9 at the time. But i remember watching with the family on a Sunday afternoon. I was the only one who knew anything about football - was the only real sports fan actually. 

But the 1972 season cemented it for me. And this is one of the better videos. They actually highlight some of the key players in a more personal way. For example i had forgotten Jack Pardee had cancer in the early 60's and sat out. He came back to play for Allen in LA and came with him at age 36 to Wash. 

For those of you that remember the time it will bring back great memories. For those of you younger fans it provides a little different look at that time than most of the videos from then. 

Hope you enjoy. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Thanks 2

I've never seen another QB pass the ball like Kilmer. Wonder if that wobble made the ball easier or harder to catch? BTW the last pass Kilmer ever threw was for a TD (I think against the Bears).

BTW looked up the 72 team all but 8 of them are still alive. They were an old team then and given the lifestyle of the NFL of the day it's bit surprising that many are still around (all are in their mid to late 70s and 80s). 

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, nonniey said:

I've never seen another QB pass the ball like Kilmer. Wonder if that wobble made the ball easier or harder to catch? BTW the last pass Kilmer ever threw was for a TD (I think against the Bears).

Just searched and the pass was one that bounced off Ricky Thompson and landed in the hands of Jean Fugett. Remember clearly watching that game...….bad end to a season which had started with such promise.  It is pretty amazing the path the Skins took to get from Allen to Gibbs......the 1978 collapse following a 6-0 start, blowing a 13-point lead in the final 5 minutes against Dallas to miss the playoffs, and then the horrible 1980 without Riggo. 

• Like 1
On 3/9/2020 at 10:45 AM, Smurf3 said:

I am 73 and go back to the teams of the mid-late 1950s with Eddie Lebaron, Don Bossler, Dick James and others. A win in those days was cause for celebration. I remember Sam Baker kicked a field goal to beat the Colts and I ran up and down the street celebrating. We lived in Florida but the Redskins owned the South and all the games were on TV in black and white with Jim Gibbons doing the play by play and Eddie Gallagher commenting. In those days the players all had to have off season jobs and we had a new TV delivered by a Chicago Bears player who had played against the Redskins the year before. I remember him saying, yeah we beat the Redkins.

We moved back to Arlington, VA and I saw the first game played at then DC Stadium in 1961 against the Giants. Tickets were first come first served $6.00.

I was actually at that game myself along with my father. I was about five days away from being five years old, and do not remember the actual game. I do remember that we had a hard time finding our car in the parking lot after the game for some reason. Lol

Very vivid memory of childhood friends talking after the Redskins hung 72 points on the Giants in 1966. That was the highest scoring game in NFL history (72-41). That   team had Sonny  Jurgensen, Sam Huff, Chris Hanburger, Brig Owens, Paul Krauss, Charley Taylor, and Bobby Mitchell. The  Redskin had 7 future Hall of Famers on the field that day.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Just searched and the pass was one that bounced off Ricky Thompson and landed in the hands of Jean Fugett. Remember clearly watching that game...….bad end to a season which had started with such promise.  It is pretty amazing the path the Skins took to get from Allen to Gibbs......the 1978 collapse following a 6-0 start, blowing a 13-point lead in the final 5 minutes against Dallas to miss the playoffs, and then the horrible 1980 without Riggo. 

We literally went from the best of times, to the worst of times back to the best of times. Let's not forget that 0-5 start to 1981. I was beginning to think we were going to suck forever like the the Senators did when I was a kid. But then Joe Gibbs happened. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tarpon75 said:

I was actually at that game myself along with my father. I was about five days away from being five years old, and do not remember the actual game. I do remember that we had a hard time finding our car in the parking lot after the game for some reason. Lol

Very vivid memory of childhood friends talking after the Redskins hung 72 points on the Giants in 1966. That was the highest scoring game in NFL history (72-41). That   team had Sonny  Jurgensen, Sam Huff, Chris Hanburger, Brig Owens, Paul Krauss, Charley Taylor, and Bobby Mitchell. The  Redskin had 7 future Hall of Famers on the field that day.

I also lost my car in the same parking lot about 5 years later after going to a pre season game.( I went to the 1961 game on a bus from 7 Corners Shopping mall in Arlington.) Then I rear ended another car leaving the lot after we finally found my car. It was my first and last date wih that particular young lady. A little off topic but I stumbled across a really good movie the other night about Ernie Davis, the great back from Syracuse who the Redskins either drafted and traded or maybe traded the pick to Cleveland for Bobby Mitchell. Unfortunately he never played a down for Cleveland after being diagnosed with leukemia and died at age 23. The movie is very well done and highly recommend especially during these home bound,  no sports times. Saw Norm Snead hit Mitchell on a beautiful 60 or 70 yard play against the then St. Louis Cardinals. Never forget the crowd going crazy which was not common in those days.

Edited by Smurf3
  • Like 1

My earliest memory of watching the Redskins was in the mid 1970s when I went into the family den and my older brothers were watching the Redskins game. 

They were big fans. Naturally, I wanted to emulate my older brothers, so I became a Skins fan, too.

My earliest memory is of a running back named Mike Thomas catching a pass and rolling into the endzone with a defender.

I don't even remember what team they were playing, its been that long. :)

I want to say the Falcons.

Edited by SkinsGuy

I'm 56 and 2nd generation.

We lived in Norfolk, Va, so the Skins were our home team.

My first "live" memory was Super Bowl VII.  It was also my first memory of hearing my Dad yell, "****!!"

My first hero was Chris Hanburger. Hey, I was 9 and thought he had a cool name!

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

I consider myself more of a Gibbs I era fan, but my earliest memories are rooted in the Allen days. 

Probably the first Redskins memory I have is from the Thanksgiving game in '74 when Longley came back and they beat us. I don't think I even watched the game, but I remember how upset the adults were, and I remember realizing something crazy and terrible had happened. 

I started out a fan of the Baltimore Colts, actually. But I was a HUGE fan of Native American culture as a kid. I read every book I could find on the subject, so at one point very early on, I switched to the Redskins. 

Anyway, first TV memory I have is also '74, watching Sonny Jurgensen throw 2 picks in a loss against the Rams. I remember being really mad at Sonny. I wasn't even 7 yet. 

It was in '76 when I really became a fanatic, though. What did it was my Dad letting me stay up to watch MNF and watching Eddie Brown make a glorious punt return for a TD against the Cardinals in the rain and mud. That night sealed the deal. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Smurf3 said:

I also lost my car in the same parking lot about 5 years later after going to a pre season game.( I went to the 1961 game on a bus from 7 Corners Shopping mall in Arlington.) Then I rear ended another car leaving the lot after we finally found my car. It was my first and last date wih that particular young lady. A little off topic but I stumbled across a really good movie the other night about Ernie Davis, the great back from Syracuse who the Redskins either drafted and traded or maybe traded the pick to Cleveland for Bobby Mitchell. Unfortunately he never played a down for Cleveland after being diagnosed with leukemia and died at age 23. The movie is very well done and highly recommend especially during these home bound,  no sports times. Saw Norm Snead hit Mitchell on a beautiful 60 or 70 yard play against the then St. Louis Cardinals. Never forget the crowd going crazy which was not common in those days.

Have seen that movie (The Express) a couple of times myself. The  Redskins actually drafted Davis and traded him to Cleveland for Mitchell.

For me it was Superbowl 1988, Doug Williams QB. Being an Aussie boy, I was intrigued with the game itself, let alone by this African American guy slinging the ball. I was in awe at how they steamrolled the more favoured opposition. Been following the Skins ever since.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

I consider myself more of a Gibbs I era fan, but my earliest memories are rooted in the Allen days. 

Probably the first Redskins memory I have is from the Thanksgiving game in '74 when Longley came back and they beat us. I don't think I even watched the game, but I remember how upset the adults were, and I remember realizing something crazy and terrible had happened. 

I started out a fan of the Baltimore Colts, actually. But I was a HUGE fan of Native American culture as a kid. I read every book I could find on the subject, so at one point very early on, I switched to the Redskins. 

Anyway, first TV memory I have is also '74, watching Sonny Jurgensen throw 2 picks in a loss against the Rams. I remember being really mad at Sonny. I wasn't even 7 yet. 

It was in '76 when I really became a fanatic, though. What did it was my Dad letting me stay up to watch MNF and watching Eddie Brown make a glorious punt return for a TD against the Cardinals in the rain and mud. That night sealed the deal. 

One of my favorite Redskin memories of the 70's.  That was a wild game.  Fumbles galore.

• Like 1

Grew up with a poster of Sonny over my bed.  Watched the games with family early but really connected to the NFL around high school watching the NFL super bowl highlight films and listening to John Facenda (voice of God) narrate them.  We would watch those during gym on a rainy day and the players were such gladiators.  Was also a Vikings fan early on watching Tarkenton and Forman lighting it up all the time.

Edited by Ashburn Dave
7 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

Have seen that movie (The Express) a couple of times myself. The  Redskins actually drafted Davis and traded him to Cleveland for Mitchell.

On the play from Snead to Mitchell I had an upper deck end zone seat from behind the Redskins and had binoculars on Snead as he dropped back to pass. Then I kept the focus on the ball as the perfect spiral was launched and was obviously a long pass down the sideline. I had no idea where the ball was going as I was focused only on the ball. All of a sudden number 49 came into view at least 50 yards down the field streaking down the sideline and the ball settled into his arms as if it was placed there and he continued into the end zone. Best single view of a play I have ever had.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Smurf3 said:

On the play from Snead to Mitchell I had an upper deck end zone seat from behind the Redskins and had binoculars on Snead as he dropped back to pass. Then I kept the focus on the ball as the perfect spiral was launched and was obviously a long pass down the sideline. I had no idea where the ball was going as I was focused only on the ball. All of a sudden number 49 came into view at least 50 yards down the field streaking down the sideline and the ball settled into his arms as if it was placed there and he continued into the end zone. Best single view of a play I have ever had.

Sweet!!

I witnessed a similar play, in '90, during the '91 Championship season, from the end-zone when we pummeled the Falcons.   Rypien unleashed a bomb to Clark, or Monk, (I can't remember which).  Ryp reared back and looked like he threw the ball straight up in the air, and it hit someone in stride.   

Talk about an epic game.  All kinds of cool stuff going on.   Jerry Glanville strutting on the sidelines replete in a black duster & big ol' belt buckle.   Deion Sanders had MC Hammer as a guest on the sidelines.      Rypien almost set an NFL record, (for passing yards/TD's...something like that).  Because it was such an ass-whoopin', Ryp was pulled in the 4th quarter.   Gibbs found out he was only a few yards from breaking one of Sammy Baughs passing records, and offered to leave him in to set it,  but Rypien demurrred.  Class act.  

As a side note, I witnessed Brett Favre's first TD pass.   Andre Collins picked it off and ran it back for a TD.  It may have been one of his first passes in the NFL.

Great times!!  

• Haha 1