Burgold

What Redskins' generation are you and what's your first "live" 'skins memory

Just wondering. How long have you been on this road with the 'skins? What's your first 'skins memory? Live can mean in the stadium or on TV.

My first Redskin memory took place in 1981. It took place before I ever saw a game. It took place before I ever cared or knew a thing about football. I remember it was recess and we had to stay indoors because it was raining. A kid named Mike was ragging on the Redskins and saying how they were going to get crushed by the Cowboys. Like I said, I knew nothing, but I knew you were supposed to support the home team so I stood up and told him he was stupid. We had the kind of argument kids have and at the end he challenged me to put my money where my mouth was. Knowing nothing, I made my first sports bet. I didn't watch that weekend, but I still remember Mike's expression when he came in Monday morning and paid up.

After that, I started watching though I have never made another 'skins bet.

I got lucky in that my fandom started just as the Redskins greatest period in their history was about to launch. How about you? 

What's your first memory? Who was your first Redskin hero?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LightningBuggs said:

I became a Redskins fan because of Larry Brown in 1971.

My first memory is #43 running hard on every play.

Nice! The "I like Billy" vs. "I like Sonny" "Over the Hill Gang" generation.

• Like 2

I’m 40 and my first memory was this old guy selling my dad 3 tickets for a game at RFK for 22.00 each(face value) sitting about 15 rows up on the 35 yard line and seeing Daryl Green flipped and breaking his leg right in front of us.

The Stadium was rocking. Awesome memory and I remember my dad being upset afterwards that green got injured. Been a diehard ever since

• Like 1

Been a fan since 05. Went to almost every home game for 6 seasons, sat in the upper deck with my brother until he went off to college, then my mom started tagging along and we’d bring neighbors, so we started getting loge or club level seats. 

First live memory would have to be at home vs Dallas in 05. We beat them 35-7. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm with "Lightning Buggs". Started with Sonny and loved #37, Pat Fisher. He was fun to watch battle with Harold Carmichael

• Like 3

48 here and been a fan as long as i could remember.  My fav players were Charlie Taylor then Mike Nelms, DG, and Gary Clark.  Loved drinking beers at the end zone bar with Gary Clark.  What a great dude.

Loved skipping school with my Dad and friends to go to the SB parade after we beat the killer bees.  Rainy as hell but was such a great time and now memory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

John Riggins

Art Monk

Dave Butts

these men are the earliest redskins I can remember.  I have been hooked ever since 

• Like 5

Billy/Sonny/Larry/Charley

Beating Dallas to go to SB VII

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

John Riggins

Art Monk

Dave Butts

these men are the earliest redskins I can remember.  I have been hooked ever since 

For whatever reason, I always include Neal Olkiewicz in that group. 

I think it's because he was always considered to small, too slow, too much of a nonathlete and was always making plays. He was one of the great Redskin underdogs along with Jeff Bostic.

Edit: I googled to make sure I got his name spelled correctly and the first listing was a complaint about him being too small to play middle linebacker.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is such a july thread. :ols:

I've always been ahead of my time. Sometimes, only by four months.

• Haha 3

I would say I started watching them in 1971 at the age of ten.  My favorite player was Larry Brown.  I thought he was very tough and fearless.  I think Billy Kilmer was the starter and Sonny Jurgensen was his backup.  I remember the Over the Hill Gang and many of the players on that defense, because they were very good.  Their special teams were just that (special).  And George Allen was a great defense-minded head coach.

What I remember the most was my mother yelling at the top of her lungs when the Redskins made a big play.  Incredibly, her two favorite teams were the Redskins and the Cowboys.  We were born and raised in VA so the Redskins were 1A and the Cowboys were 1B in regards to my mother.  I think I have always hated the Cowboys.  It was a great time to be a fan of the Redskins and the rivalry with the Cowboys was insane.😊

• Thanks 1

Mike Thomas, Jean Fugett, Eddie Brown.....first game I ever saw the Skins was the 72 Super Bowl loss to Miami.....I remember losing a playoff game to the Vikings and Chuck Foreman, Purple People Eaters in Minnesota (1976). That's my first real memory of being a diehard Redskin fan. I also vividly remember Riggins run in Dallas back in 79 before Staubach brought them back and we missed the playoffs because of some crazy tiebreaker with the Bears I think. It all became bearable just a few years later when King Joe came to town.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Going to a game at Yankee Stadium with my uncle who drove a charter bus to the game that day and watching the little general beat the favored nats in their house, fall 1957. Day I started to love the Redskins and hate the Giants.

11 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Mike Thomas, Jean Fugett, Eddie Brown.....first game I ever saw the Skins was the 72 Super Bowl loss to Miami.....I remember losing a playoff game to the Vikings and Chuck Foreman, Purple People Eaters in Minnesota (1976). That's my first real memory of being a diehard Redskin fan. I also vividly remember Riggins run in Dallas back in 79 before Staubach brought them back and we missed the playoffs because of some crazy tiebreaker with the Bears I think. It all became bearable just a few years later when King Joe came to town.

Watching that Dallas loss in 79 was the closest  I ever came to putting my foot through the tv screen.

Edited by 50yrSKINSfan
Spelling
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

October 1974. My first day on the job selling programs at RFK (my take was 5 cents a copy). After the third quarter, I found an empty seat and watched Sonny, at the age of 40, lead a comeback victory against the Dolphins. Breathtaking. I was fourteen.

Edited by dswerdlw
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

I would say I started watching them in 1971 at the age of ten.  My favorite player was Larry Brown.  I thought he was very tough and fearless.  I think Billy Kilmer was the starter and Sonny Jurgensen was his backup.  I remember the Over the Hill Gang and many of the players on that defense, because they were very good.  Their special teams were just that (special).  And George Allen was a great defense-minded head coach.

What I remember the most was my mother yelling at the top of her lungs when the Redskins made a big play.  Incredibly, her two favorite teams were the Redskins and the Cowboys.  We were born and raised in VA so the Redskins were 1A and the Cowboys were 1B in regards to my mother.  I think I have always hated the Cowboys.  It was a great time to be a fan of the Redskins and the rivalry with the Cowboys was insane.😊

This is exactly when I  came up with in my mind too. Remember a game when Sonny came in for an injured Kilmer against Cowboys,  they did lose but I  was 7 and my jaw dropped watching this chubby old man come in and sling it on every play,  hooked for life.

• Like 1

I'd say 1973, when I was six.  Remember either that year or the next, the local 7-Elevens had Slurpee cups which had a different player every week, and it was fun collecting them. But that season, remember learning that the Skins had lost to the Saints and saying a curse word in reaction and my mother scolding me for that. Later that season, my mom and dad were watching a game and were going crazy.....I figured that was the late season game against the Giants where Sonny replaced Billy and led the Skins to a big come-from-behind win against the Giants. And then remember looking at a TV showing Texas Stadium the next week as the Cowboys put a whooping on the Skins.

And I was hooked, but was a nervous Nellie when it came to games. Couldn't stomach watching them at my grandparents house in 1974 as Clint Longley performed his heroics on Thanksgiving. Same with the next year, finding out after the game that the Skins had lost in OT to the Cards, including the fashion of the Pat Fischer-Mel Grey screw job. Did go to a preseason game at RFK against the Steelers one of those years.

Then in the fall of 76, moved to south Jersey, which was Eagles country. My first day of school I wore my Skins jacket and some kid says "I'm a Skins fan too!" That night stayed up to watch as Eddie Brown ran thru the RFK monsoon, leading to a victory over the Cards. Of course, the Skins were ending their stretch of playoff appearances as the Eagles were getting good. But it looked like we were going to make it again with 5 minutes left against Dallas in 1979, and poof! I called that same friend that I had met my first day of the new school and stayed on for three hours, with most of that time just saying "still can't believe that."

Then the glory years with Gibbs. Went to my first live regular season game at the Vet at the start of 82, which the Skins won in OT over Philly and started what would be a magical year. Was cool to be down in DC the weekend the Skins beat the Cowboys in the NFCCG, but watched the SB back in south Jersey with my mom and stepdad. Was a senior in college when they won the second one, and just watched that with a friend in my apartment. Moved back to DC for work in the summer of 88, enduring two years of the Skins not making the playoffs. Watched the SB against the Bills at a relative's party where I was with like 15-20 people, cheering and clapping after every play. Looking back, that was an awesome experience. Sure, I have seen some great games at FedEx, including the wild card blowout over Detroit, the two divisional wins over the Cowboys and Giants to close out the 2005 home slate, and the division clinching win over Dallas in 2012. But if you had told me back in late January 1992 that the Skins would not be in even an NFCCG since, much less a SB, I would not have believed you. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Fan since birth. 1977....watching Monday night football Redskins games at Sooners in Palmdale California..in the early to mid eighties....chilling with my dad throwing peanut shells on the floor

First live game was in Denver...in the 90's..mom dad and grandma...got to watch one of elways last second game winning tds..over Darrell Green...it hurt. Watching the Redskins on monday night football at that bar got me hooked..been here since.

Edited by bakedtater1

I've been a fan ever since I remember. My earliest memories start with watching the games at my grandparent's house in the sixties. They were absolutely terrible as I recall and my Grandfather called them the DeadSkins. There was a lot of excitement around DC when Lombardi came on board.

The Skins took off with George Allen and The Over The Hill Gang in the seventies. The whole neighborhood went nuts for the Super Bowl but it was a heartbreaking loss to Miami. I was 15 at that time and was allowed to have my first beer for that special occasion.        

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Born in 71. I remember listening to games on the radio with my dad doing projects around the house in the mid-to-late-70s. Charlie Taylor is who he would talk about. My first visual memory was a picture of the '79 team in my dentist's waiting room. Jack Pardee was the head coach.

I became a fan on my own around the time Gibbs was hired in 81. Couldn't wait to read the Post sports page every morning. It was an amazing time to be a DC sports fan: Skins, Hoyas and Orioles were all winning championships. Riggins, Ewing and Ripken were larger than life. I've been hooked ever since.

Dexter Manley 72 is my all-time favorite player.

Edited by Stadium-Armory
  • Like 2

Born in 81, my first memory is the skins Vikings nfc championship game. Watched it on TV with my dad.  I still remember the moment the Vikings pass fell incomplete and we were going to the super bowl.  I remember running around my house like a maniac at 6 years old during SB 22.

My first live game was Redskins at Cardinals in 99.  Still remember champ taking it to the house.  Good times.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

George Allen's "OTHG" with Talbert/Hanburger/Fisher and Billy/Sonny/Brown and DALLAS WEEKS. Watched the Miami perfect season Super Bowl win against the Skins..

I'm 68, my dad got season tickets for either the '63 or '64 season and we all went to every game. Our family had season tickets through the 1997 season, my mom passed that December and my brother turned them into the office. Long time fan.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'm 68, my dad got season tickets for either the '63 or '64 season and we all went to every game. Our family had season tickets through the 1997 season, my mom passed that December and my brother turned them into the office. Long time fan.

Oh my goodness...I would have never pegged you at 68 years young...that's awesome having some experience around...my dad became a Redskins fan in 63...everyone else around him packers fans and he went with the Redskins.

• Like 1