Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVE

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

March 3, 2020

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVE

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster move:

The Redskins signed the following free agent:

TE Marcus Baugh

Nothing I have read about him is great unless he's spent time working on his game these last few years.  One thing in particular was his ineffective blocking skills.  At least that was a "con" coming out of OU.  Hope I'm wrong and he proves to be an important cog.

🤔 Free agent TE brought in by the Raiders; moved on to Panthers; got hurt and is now back with the coaching staff that picked him up. Maybe Turner sees something in him. Two years removed from college, I'm sure he's gotten bigger with a bit more pro development under his belt. Ya never know. I do know he's got something to work with.

1 hour ago, joeken24 said:

🤔 Free agent TE brought in by the Raiders; moved on to Panthers; got hurt and is now back with the coaching staff that picked him up. Maybe Turner sees something in him. Two years removed from college, I'm sure he's gotten bigger with a bit more pro development under his belt. Ya never know. I do know he's got something to work with.

Never hurts to bring in competition.  This team needs a lot of help at the TE position for what Turner wants to do on O.  I'm eager to see what Caleb Wilson from UCLA bring to the table also.

I think you guys are overthinking this...

He has familiarity with Haskins and Ron Rivera.

You need bodies in camp.

If he works out, fantastic. It's not likely he will, but he has every connection he needs to give himself a chance to be a diamond in the rough. But its more likely he's a camp body, that will learn the system/get a repertoire with Haskins, be released, and if no one picks him up he will be re-signed if there is an injury to one of our tight ends.

From his NFL combine in 2017:

Prospect Info

COLLEGE
Ohio St.
HOMETOWN
CLASS
CA
Senior

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 4"
247 lbs
33 1/2”
HANDS
10 1/2”

40 Yard Dash
4.81u
SECONDS

Bench Press
--
REPS

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

60 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

Overview
Baugh looks like most Ohio State tight ends coming out, but he lacks the talent and production of their most recently drafted prospects. He is a segmented mover who looks unnatural getting in and out of his breaks and he simply doesn't have the hands teams want from a move tight end. Unless Baugh can become a substantially better run blocker, finding a roster spot could become very difficult.
Strengths
  • Able to post up defenders and hold them off to pry a better throwing window open
  • Has some open field talent with the ball in his hand after the catch
  • Able to leap over tacklers who try and go low
  • Long strides will start to create distance from coverage as route progresses
  • Has the necessary footwork to get himself into position to wall off his assignment
  • Unfurls his long arms into defender's chest and can create space between them
  • Has the athletic ability and agility to get into proper positioning to mirror as a screen blocker
Weaknesses
  • Gawky and awkward in his movement
  • Has extremely awkward gait as a runner and is able to be re-routed
  • Slow to gather weight and change direction
  • Safeties read his routes
  • Takes too long getting to his breaks and making himself available to quarterback
  • Struggles to catch it cleanly and tape is filled with drops and double catches
  • Hands need to be catch-ready more quickly
  • Posted double-digit drop rate over last two seasons
  • Lacks play strength and tenacity as run blocker
  • Unable to sustain blocks
  • Can be overcome in pass protection

Watching that video, it seems like he’s a bit slow but has a big body and looks like he has decent hands. We need a few of these guys in camp to see if we can find that next Darren Waller. 

Btw..how good is Gus Johnson as a sports commentator!

Archived