Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tua Tagovailoa doesn't understand Rule 8 & needs to fix this

wtfskins

3 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Here's my thought, and I defer to the actual football mavens on this if wrong, but it seems to me that Haskins and Tua are fundamentally different types of QBs, and the offense you build for Haskins might be very different from the one you'd craft for Tua. Wouldn't you kinda be tearing the whole thing down and starting from zero?

We have no OL, 1 WR, & no TE’s. The tear down is complete. 

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Just said this in the other thread, but I like Simms and Harmon both. I think both can step up from their rookie campaigns, but Simms has shown so many electric flashes and generated so many big plays, he also improved as a receiver in a major way though his hands are still a bit worrisome. Likewise, Harmon seems like a really good possession receiver. I think he'll get better especially with experience and better playcalling.

9 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Just the tiniest bit of overstatement there, but ok............

Incorrect. 

8 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Just said this in the other thread, but I like Simms and Harmon both. I think both can step up from their rookie campaigns, but Simms has shown so many electric flashes and generated so many big plays, he also improved as a receiver in a major way though his hands are still a bit worrisome. Likewise, Harmon seems like a really good possession receiver. I think he'll get better especially with experience and better playcalling.

Every team has guys like that, they’re replaceable pieces, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be effective pieces. Nobody is checking in with Washington to gauge the availability of Simms or Harmon. 

15 minutes ago, volsmet said:

13 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Just the tiniest bit of overstatement there, but ok............

It's definitely a bit of an overstatement, but he's not  wrong. We have severe holes that need to be filled in those positions. 

McLaurin is legit. Harmon is a wild card. Simms did well in the slot, but he had his inconsistencies that you'd like to eliminate from your slot. Quinn isn't a dude. Cam Sims struggled to see the field at times, but he flashed (I'd like to see what he could do as a tight end if he could bulk up).

Tight end I believe in Hentges. But after that I'm unsure. And Hentges as a 2 is a better situation than him entering as a 1. Wilson could develop, but he's still a serious question mark. Sprinkle is good at what he is. An okay receiving option and an okay blocking option. I look at him kind of like I did Logan Paulsen. Capable tight end. A guy you want on the roster. A guy who can carry the load for a game or two. Not a guy you want to rely on on the regular.

Offensive line we literally have no offensive linemen. 

Wes Martin is our only guard under contract. Roullier/Piersbacher can be upgraded fairly easily. Tackle we have Morgan Moses and Geron Christian (with Williams in doubt). 

9 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

All this type of discussion is going on in the Haskins and Draft threads. The key thing to note about Tua is the word "if"....if he can stay healthy. There are no "if's" regarding Chase Young. With him we are guaranteed to have our first all pro player in many, many years.

There are no guarantees with any player. There's a high probability but not a guarantee....

10 hours ago, wtfskins said:

You see idk either.  I mean we have Kerrigan, Anderson, Payne, Allen, and Ionnadis.  Tell me why we need Chase Young.  Convince me I’m all ears and to want to be convinced.  But ask yourself this would you rather have Drew Brees or Khalil Mack?  

The 2007 Giants didn't beat the util-then undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl because Eli Manning out-dueled Tom Brady.

A great defense often neutralizes even the best QBs...I rarely see the opposite happen. Chase Young paired up with Del Rio, Jonathan Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Kerrigan, Sweat, and Collins could make the Skins' defense potentially dominant for years. And great defense travels year-round, in all weather conditions. That would be the best option imo. 2nd best would be gaining a bevy of high draft picks to infuse the roster with young, starter-level talent on incredibly affordable contracts. That keeps you healthier longer and gives you more options down the road in terms of who to sign/extend and for how much. Both of those options require the Skins coaches to do their jobs and actually develop the talent they have on the roster now.

• TK changed the title to Tua Tagovailoa doesn't understand Rule 8 & needs to fix this
6 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

There are no guarantees with any player. There's a high probability but not a guarantee....

I agree. The proper explanation I should have used is that is far less risk in drafting Chase than Tua.

14 hours ago, volsmet said:

Not in real life, though.

Just pointing out how an elite edge player can wreck games, as he did to Cam Newton to win the Superbowl.

10 hours ago, Burgold said:

Yep. We forget how awful most QBs are their rookie years. Even the most celebrated of the NFL's HOFers stunk it up for the most part.

Yeah, but Haskins has a heavy suck factor stuck to him. Don't know if he shakes it off.  He could. I doubt it.  Too soon for me to make my call. Not that my call matters. Philly game didn't move the needle for me as it appears to have for so many.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

It's definitely a bit of an overstatement, but he's not  wrong. We have severe holes that need to be filled in those positions. 

McLaurin is legit. Harmon is a wild card. Simms did well in the slot, but he had his inconsistencies that you'd like to eliminate from your slot. Quinn isn't a dude. Cam Sims struggled to see the field at times, but he flashed (I'd like to see what he could do as a tight end if he could bulk up).

Tight end I believe in Hentges. But after that I'm unsure. And Hentges as a 2 is a better situation than him entering as a 1. Wilson could develop, but he's still a serious question mark. Sprinkle is good at what he is. An okay receiving option and an okay blocking option. I look at him kind of like I did Logan Paulsen. Capable tight end. A guy you want on the roster. A guy who can carry the load for a game or two. Not a guy you want to rely on on the regular.

Offensive line we literally have no offensive linemen. 

Wes Martin is our only guard under contract. Roullier/Piersbacher can be upgraded fairly easily. Tackle we have Morgan Moses and Geron Christian (with Williams in doubt). 

Sounds like you’re saying we have no OL, 1 wr & no TE.

4 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

Just pointing out how a Elite egde player can wreck games, as he did to Cam Newton to win the Superbowl.

Absolutely, and Tom Brady two weeks prior, but Von Miller hasn’t been to the playoffs in many moons... because he doesn’t mean much without the rest of the defense he was once a part of.

There is far more risk in the qb - & infinitely more upside. In a league where middling is the worst possible scenario, I don’t mind a QB bust as much as most, as long as you play that bust to the top of the ensuing draft. 

Cheap QBs, gentlemen, nearly all that matters, if you have a good one. 

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

but Von Miller hasn’t been to the playoffs in many moons... because he doesn’t mean much without the rest of the defense he was once a part of.

And Dan Marino rarely made the playoffs and never won a Super Bowl. John Elway got stomped in Suer Bowl after Super Bowl until he got a running back and a D. 

No QB is a one man team. 

18 hours ago, wtfskins said:

We have a real question here boys.  Do we draft Tua.  I do like Chase Young but we do have plenty of DL and DE’S. Can we afford to go after another pass rusher.  And here’s my reasoning behind this Tua won’t play next year so we get to see Haskins for a full year.  If Haskins does good we trade Tua who experts believe is a sure thing and we get another first round pick.  So please chime in on this I want to hear your thoughts.  

You can NOT ever ever have too many pass rushers.  Never.

17 hours ago, volsmet said:

Ledo’s wings are legit.

I nearly started a whole new thread, but I'm glad I did a quick search and found the LEDO wing thread. They certainly are legit. 

Chase over Tua. No question.

I have nightmares that we'll select Tua and Chase will fall to the Giants. Then in the preseason, Chase will proceed to end the career of Tua (and Haskins if he's still with the team). 

OP calls himself wtfskins. That's exactly what I'm going to say if they draft Tua. 

Archived