Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What would you prefer?

What would you prefer  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

• Full rebuild - Sell/cut everything and start fresh
    • Make a run with what we have

I'm on the fence on how we should grow going forward. We have been freeing up a lot of cap space. We currently sit just over $60M, but there are other moves that can be made, specifically trading Trent, Kerrigan or maybe Dunbar. I'm not wanting to discuss each player, but more the overall strategy. Should we go into a mode where the sole focus is getting future assets (draft picks) and signing younger players? 

Would it better if Rivera completely cleans house and start new with a combination of picks and cap space OR should he go into free agency, grab some vets that can help immediately and look to compete right out the gates?

I'm sort of leaning towards a full rebuild. Have a season of lowered expectations. Maybe make the entire season about developing our young QB. After this year we'll have a good idea what we can expect from Haskins and can ideally use those future assets to surround him with talent or go a different direction if needed.

Right now the most important thing to me is Rivera establishing a culture of professionalism, respect and accountability. In that regard draft picks and FAs, etc., will have to be assessed on that standard, will this guy buy in, really get what we're trying to do? The W/L record will be a reflection of that, and shouldn't be a primary goal. We don't need a rebuild, we need a build.

• Like 4

We already have a young QB on a rookie deal who looked to turn it around towards end of the season.  A full reboot would be to insinuate replacing him, I cant support that and risk the new guy busting before we confirm the one we already have does.

We also have a very good dline with a coaching staff that will finally focus on using it to its strength to help allow more flexibility in talent in the back field.  This is similar formula Giants took to win their last two super bowls, which is exactly what they are going to try to do when we draft Young.

I never support tanking, but that's not why I say we should go forward with what we have.  Bringing back Trent, Flowers, and Scherf would go a huge way in justify investing in a better RT then Moses and not being that hard to have a respectable offense from there.  When you have that much cap space from shedding one bad contract after the other, plugging holes from there wont take long at all.

• Like 3

I voted full rebuild, but that's just because I think were already doing it

We moved on from the older tier of the team, Davis, Reed, Norman, Richardson (and he was only 27, but the oldest WR on the team).  Chris Thompson, Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, Donald Penn, all free agents that we have not shown interest in bringing in.  That right there is A LOT of turnover for a team... I think we missed the boat when we didnt trade Trent last offseason for a day 1 or day 2 pick, but I still think were already in the midst of a rebuild.  I don't want to move on from Haskins yet... because a young, inexpensive QB is a big part of a rebuild. 

• Like 4

I concur with qvc, we can't cut smith so short of cutting trent and kerrigan we are in a full rebuild. 

We have an extremely young roster and you always need a few vets to complement the youth.

I dont see a whole lot more we could do other than waste the rookie deals of Payne, allen, sweat, haskins, guice, mclaurin, and now most likely young, while we pile up draft picks and cap space.

We have a ton of cap space and several very talented guys on their rookie contracts, now is the time to make some smart strategic moves in free agency and turn this team into a winner within a year or two. 

Edited by redskinss
1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I voted full rebuild, but that's just because I think were already doing it

We moved on from the older tier of the team, Davis, Reed, Norman, Richardson (and he was only 27, but the oldest WR on the team).  Chris Thompson, Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, Donald Penn, all free agents that we have not shown interest in bringing in.  That right there is A LOT of turnover for a team... I think we missed the boat when we didnt trade Trent last offseason for a day 1 or day 2 pick, but I still think were already in the midst of a rebuild.  I don't want to move on from Haskins yet... because a young, inexpensive QB is a big part of a rebuild. 

A lot of good points, and I'll say that an initial reaction to the term "rebuild" is accepting not competing for a season or two. We can do all of what you jus said and still be competitive very quickly if anything from the addition by subtraction we've been doing already.  Getting rid of Bruce and hiring Del Rio is a big f'n deal by themselves.  Drafting Young and signing Hooper alone would have huge immediate impact on both sides of the ball.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

I respect the topic and have asked these questions to friends, on this board, in my head a million times since the late-1990s. But, at this point, I don't care about the HOW anymore. I'm completely exhausted from using my own brain power to try to determine the best path to success. For one, it has no impact. Secondly, I've been wrong just as often as the Redskins have! 

I'm firmly in the camp now where I'm going to loyally watch the team each week, assume the women and men being paid to do this for a living make good decision, and hope for the best. 

Long way of saying...if we ever just win 11 games in a year, I'll be ecstatic whether it's with all new players, a replica of the 2019, or all hired mercenary veterans. 

• Like 1

Why can't we do both? If your young guys are good enough to make a run then lets do that. All depends on how fast DH develops and how good this defense can be. Chase Young will help so lets get a safety to go with Landon and fill in through free agency with linebackers and corners....we are not far off with the money we have to spend. I have faith in our coaching staff.

I think I remember Rivera saying he had no patience for a rebuild.  Plus I don't think it is necessary.  We have some good pieces. I know we are short at the LB position and that may be our 3rd round pick in the draft.   There are a number of decent prospects projected to go in the 3-5 round.

I am really looking forward to FA.   I hope they target Tre Boston and Hooper.  I am definitely in the camp of resign Trent, lock up Scherff, and make the O line solid.  Then  immediately sign Chase Young,  don't play around with the pick, and take an already decent line a tier up.  I believe we can compete because we have much better coaches that will establish and enforce a standard of play/performance.  So many on here talked about not getting enough production, playing to ability, out of some players.   

I have not been encouraged about this team in over 20 years, minus the Gibb's return, so I am up for anything that is going to turn it around and so far Rivera has been doing a lot of what has been wanted on this board.   So I am encouraged. No rebuild.  Go for it now.