Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A tight end by any other name

I've been hearing that it's a bad draft year for tight ends and only a so-so year for tight ends in free agency so I've been thinking it might be a good year to try something out of the box. What if the Redskins should draft in the sixth or seventh round the best athletic undersized division two tackles they can find?  There's got to be some helacious blockers and underrated athletes at Division Two who never get a real NFL looksee because they're 265 or 270.

Why you ask? I think there's a chance you could convert that player into a really good blocking tight end. Sure, you probably aren't going to get a Kelse or a Gronk this way, but maybe you can get a modern day Donnie Warren. Who knows? Maybe you can even get a poor man's George Kittle. At the worst, you waste a sixth or seventh round pick. At the best, we finally have something we haven't had for years... a tight end who can help out in pass pro and the running game. With a sketchy o iine, a tight end who blocks like a tackle might actually be what the doctor ordered.

Now, I realize the modern tight end isn't supposed to block and really they aren't supposed to be anything but gigantic wide receivers, but I still think there is a role for a blocking tight end and if they are athletic enough maybe they even can find a hole or two in a zone and be taught to catch.

So, is the idea crazy or worth the space of an off-season thread?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Didn’t we try this with Compton?

I think sort of. I think it was more of a sheer desperation move when we just ran out of tight ends during the season. I think drafting an undersized tackle with the intention of retraining and making him a tight end from the get go is a bit different.

It probably would be hard to find the right candidate because the tackle will have to be athletic and have enough movement to make the transition,  but also the characteristics that made him a notable blocker. I'm thinking DII just because I'm guessing there are some guys because of size or other reasons who just couldn't make it as a DI athlete, but still might be a player.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

TEs that don't block, suck.

Agreed. We could argue though that neither Reed nor Davis blocked. Sprinkle blocks but seems at best okay at it. Not sure about Hentges.

I would think we could try your idea but not use a draft pick...just sign a UFA. One comparable example of what you're suggesting is Oakland using Darren Waller, a former WR as a TE for receiving purposes, not as a blocker. He had a big year as a converted WR to a TE. 

• Like 3

You know who has the the prototypical size for a TE?  Chase Young...now hear me out...

But seriously, I wouldn’t argue inviting some college basketball players to camp and try to find the Antonio Gates (did you know he played college basketball 😂)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think drafting an undersized tackle with the intention of retraining and making him a tight end from the get go is a bit different.

Well...it wouldn’t be unheard of for the Redskins organization to draft someone and switch them to a new position.

• Haha 2

We did move Swiss Army Niles Paul from WR to TE.  And that ... kinda worked.  

why not go all in and find a really good but not NBA level power forward.  Would probably have the size, quickness and hands.  Would have to work on blocking.

It seems all the best TEs player BBall.

Then just keep Sprinkle. Sprinkle can block. The problem is teams know if Sprinkle is on the field the we most likely are running the ball. What we need is a all around TE to keep defenses honest. 

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Then just keep Sprinkle. Sprinkle can block. The problem is teams know if Sprinkle is on the field the we most likely are running the ball. What we need is a all around TE to keep defenses honest. 

Hes a **** blocker and not good in the passing game. Hes a TE3 at best.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, HoggLife said:

But that's the time to catch them off guard, with the play calling.

They're not expecting the Sprinkle Special

Look how wide open he gets !

Hard to believe that the team has gone from having the most dangerous offensive threat in the NFL to trying to find a body to just play the position.  Good luck Dwayne. Ironic that now that position has become one of the glamour positions on the field and the 'Skins were one of the first to have a player to fill that role only to have him turn out to be an injury prone bust. Oh so typical of the DS era and one that actually can't be blamed on him other than agreeing (or demanding) to give Reed way too long of a leash.

How about a Redskin by any other name ?

Any other name, other than Josh.

Literally every Redskin in NFL history whose name was Josh, was a disappointment :

Josh Bellamy     WR
Josh Doctson     WR
Josh Evans     S
Josh Clemons     LB
Josh Holsey     CB
Josh Hull     LB
Josh Johnson     QB
Josh LeRibeus     G
Josh Morgan     WR
Josh Norman     CB
Josh Wilson     CB
Josh Woodrum    QB

16 hours ago, Burgold said:

A tight end by any other name

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

How about a Redskin by any other name ?

Any other name, other than Josh.

Literally every Redskin in NFL history whose name was Josh, was a disappointment :

Josh Bellamy     WR
Josh Doctson     WR
Josh Evans     S
Josh Clemons     LB
Josh Holsey     CB
Josh Hull     LB
Josh Johnson     QB
Josh LeRibeus     G
Josh Morgan     WR
Josh Norman     CB
Josh Wilson     CB
Josh Woodrum    QB

In all fairness, Wilson and Johnson weren't disappointments.

Also, has there ever been a good Josh?

Edited by PartyPosse
11 hours ago, Smurf3 said:

Hard to believe that the team has gone from having the most dangerous offensive threat in the NFL to trying to find a body to just play the position.  Good luck Dwayne. Ironic that now that position has become one of the glamour positions on the field and the 'Skins were one of the first to have a player to fill that role only to have him turn out to be an injury prone bust. Oh so typical of the DS era and one that actually can't be blamed on him other than agreeing (or demanding) to give Reed way too long of a leash.

I don't remember Rob Gronkowski or Travis Kelce or even George Kittle being on the Redskins. I like Reed and all , but we're talking about a player with one season over 686 yards. Only two season with more than 558 yards. Let's not go overboard here...

• Like 1

If I was going to convert a guy at the NFL level, I'd probably be looking more at turning a FB (maybe kill two birds with one stone like Mike Sellers) or a WR into a TE.  Interestingly probably one of the best candidates we've ever had in recent years for turning a lineman into a TE was Trent Williams. We did attempt to do this back in 2004.

17 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Josh Bellamy     WR
Josh Doctson     WR
Josh Evans     S
Josh Clemons     LB
Josh Holsey     CB
Josh Hull     LB
Josh Johnson     QB
Josh LeRibeus     G
Josh Morgan     WR
Josh Norman     CB
Josh Wilson     CB
Josh Woodrum    QB

Lol at this list....but LeRib was the future, man!!   I mean, he stabbed people in the hand for Christ's sake!!! 

• Haha 1