Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: NFL STATEMENT (CBA Related)

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

*barf* 17 games is so unnecessary.

Oh well, at least it'll be a long time before we hear about this again. 

Yes, but they are cutting one preseason game.

I would rather have an extra game that matters (win/loss wise) than four that don't (win/loss wise).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yes, but they are cutting one preseason game.

I would rather have an extra game that matters (win/loss wise) than four that don't (win/loss wise).

When do the 17 games seasons start and does the playoff field expand next year?

10 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

The 17 game season doesn't start till 2021 or later.

The new playoff format (extra wild card team; only one team getting a first round bye) starts this year.

Here is an article on it:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106247/article/nfl-players-approve-cba-impact-on-league-in-2020-and-beyond

Edited by SkinsGuy
3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Playoffs expanded right away. 17 game seasons don’t take effect until the league strikes a tv deal, so by like 2021. Maybe 2022

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Playoffs expanded right away. 17 game seasons don’t take effect until the league strikes a tv deal, so by like 2021. Maybe 2022

Exactly. The 17 game season is nothing more than a bargaining chip to be used for the next TV deal. And a bigger TV deal is important for the players as they get a kicker in income based on how big that deal is. So it was a win for both sides to add it. And as I said a few weeks ago, expanding the postseason is what may end up saving football. You want to generate excitement? Add more teams into the playoffs. One thing about that is we will now most likely see a 7-10 or 8-9 team make the playoffs every year once the 17 game season starts. So fans will be involved throughout the year as being 6-10 with one game left may still have you in  the playoff hunt.

Edited by clskinsfan
2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Exactly. The 17 game season is nothing more than a bargaining chip to be used for the next TV deal. And a bigger TV deal is important for the players as they get a kicker in income based on how big that deal is. So it was a win for both sides to add it. 

also with 17 game season... teams will have 2 bye weeks

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Exactly. The 17 game season is nothing more than a bargaining chip to be used for the next TV deal. And a bigger TV deal is important for the players as they get a kicker in income based on how big that deal is. So it was a win for both sides to add it. And as I said a few weeks ago, expanding the postseason is what may end up saving football. You want to generate excitement? Add more teams into the playoffs. One thing about that is we will now most likely see a 7-10 or 8-9 team make the playoffs every year once the 17 game season starts. So fans will be involved throughout the year as being 6-10 with one game left may still have you in  the playoff hunt.

I absolutely hate the idea of more playoff teams. Basketball and hockey regular season lacks excitement because there are so many teams that make the playoffs. Maybe it will be different for the NFL because teams only play once a week. But with NHL and NBA regular season games? Wake me up when its playoff time.

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

*barf* 17 games is so unnecessary.

Oh well, at least it'll be a long time before we hear about this again. 

Yeah, you figure at least two years before they start to complain about it... 😉

The question I have about the 17th game is the inequity of half the teams having one more home game than the other half of the teams.

I think they should seriosuly consider the 17th game ALWAYS being at a neutral site.  Whether that be international or even in the US.  Maybe play a game in cities/states that love football but don’t have the NFL? Like Alabama, Mississippi, Nebraska?

Its just that I’m going to be really salty if Dallas gets 9 home games every year, and the Skins end up rotating 8 or 9.  

I also don’t like the expanded playoff field by 1, giving only one team a bye. That just seems like such a HIGE advantage for 1 team. 

30 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

One of them is replacing the 4th preseason game? Can that really count as a bye week though? 

it shouldn't, calling it a bye week doesn't make sense.  Also something interesting is that a 17 game season would require neutral site games, but this CBA apparently limits international games for at least the first few years.  Limiting the games in London, Toronto, Mexico City for example doesn't seem to make sense  when 16 neutral site games are suddenly going to be necessary.

Maybe the Super Bowl champ gets to open the season in Honolulu

Adding 1 playoff team to each conference is cool. I think this would've been a good time to address seeding, tho.

Order should be overall record, regardless of division and winning your division shouldn't be an automatic home game.

An 8-8 division winner hosting a 12-4 wildcard team, with a 10-6 team sitting at home (for example) makes no sense.

Should have gone to 18 games and increased the roster. 2 bye weeks, equal home games. Eliminate thursdays.

They basically just made it easier to manipulate which teams are successful.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Its just that I’m going to be really salty if Dallas gets 9 home games every year, and the Skins end up rotating 8 or 9.  

They wouldn’t get more home games than us, what I’ve heard was discussed was one conference gets 9 home games one season, then only 8 the next. We’re in the same conference as Dallas, so you have nothing to be salty about 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

I don't like it.  The season was perfect.  Who will the extra game be against?  Just choosing a random team every year?  Also, another playoff team is just watering down the tournament.  They throw marijuana in the mix and everything else was fine print.  I'm surprised the players agreed to this.  

I love the idea of an extra game, the more real football the better.  There's going to be very few .500 seasons from now on.

Having 48 players suited up on gameday instead of 46 is also a good move IMO, and the relaxing of the weed rules was probably overdue and is just a reflection of society in general.

I'm glad it all got sorted out.

While the 17 game season is polarizing, does it reduce the number of tie breakers needed for playoff seeding?  Isn't it as likely that there could be multiple 9-8 teams now?  Just asking out of curiosity.  Also, 3 wild card teams is nice but hopefully it doesn't lead to a 7-10 team getting in.

5 hours ago, Mr. S said:

While the 17 game season is polarizing, does it reduce the number of tie breakers needed for playoff seeding?  Isn't it as likely that there could be multiple 9-8 teams now?  Just asking out of curiosity.  Also, 3 wild card teams is nice but hopefully it doesn't lead to a 7-10 team getting in.

unlikely.  the worst record ever to get in team into playoffs was as a division winner

• Like 1