Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: NFL STATEMENT (CBA Related)

TK

NFL Logo

National Football League  

Feb 20, 2020

NFL STATEMENT 

Following more than ten months of intensive and thorough negotiations, the NFL Players and clubs have jointly developed a comprehensive set of new and revised terms that will transform the future of the game, provide for players – past, present, and future – both on and off the field, and ensure that the NFL's second century is even better and more exciting for the fans.  

The membership voted today to accept the negotiated terms on the principal elements of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.  The Players Association would also need to vote to approve the same terms for there to be a new agreement.

Since the clubs and players need to have a system in place and know the rules that they will operate under by next week, the membership also approved moving forward under the final year of the 2011 CBA if the players decide not to approve the negotiated terms.  Out of respect for the process and our partners at the NFLPA, we will have no further comment at this time.

6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait....what does this mean? New CBA? No new CBA agreed upon yet? 

I think what this means is the NFLPA and the NFL have come up with the terms of a new CBA, which it appears as though the NFL has accepted, however the NFL Players have to vote to accept the new terms. The NFLPA leadership/negotiating team cannot commit the union to a new CBA without the consent of the members.  

It's possible (though highly unlikely) the NFL Players will reject the negotiated terms, so the NFL cannot say the new CBA has been agreed to.  Getting a union to vote and come to agreement can take a little time, and there's honestly no rush.

So in the event the union doesn't approve the new CBA, the league voted to continue operating under the exiting rules (the CBA of 2011) in the event the Union either takes it's time agreeing, or doesn't agree and they have to go back to the negotiating table.

Overall, this is very good news.  I would imagine the NFLPA will get a vote together somewhat shortly and approve the thing and it will be done.

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So, if this is all voted on and approved and finished, we won’t see the 17 game season happening right away, correct? That wouldn’t happen until 2021? 

That's a good question.  If they ratify the new CBA, there could be a provision for 17 games in 2020, but it's really doubtful just for logistical reasons.  Though you could see an expanded playoff this year.  I just have to imagine that the scheduling for the season is either almost complete or really close to being complete already.  And adding another week at this point would put you back at square 1, and i'm not sure they can move that fast. 

My guess is the season would expand in 2021 if it expands, which I expect it to, but we'll find out for certain when they make the CBA public.

One interesting quirk of the current system is that it allowed teams to use both the franchise and transition tags in the same year for the final year of the CBA (this year). Not that you would think it would matter much, but it could be very useful to a team like Dallas as both Prescott and Cooper are potentially heading towards unrestricted free agency. Not to mention Byron Jones. If the two sides agree to a new deal, I suspect that quirk goes away and although its unlikely to help the Redskins, I like anything that does not benefit Dallas.

I also wonder if June 1 cut designations will come back for this year. Could be a factor with Alex Smith

It seems to clearly say the NFLPA reps and the NFL agreed to terms.  The NFL owners then signed off on it.  All that is left is for the players to sign off on what their reps recommend.

If that happens this week, the 2020 season will be under the new rules, which may or may not(we dont know for sure yet) include 17 games and 2 more playoff teams.  If it does NOT happen within 1 week, the 2020 season will be played under the current rules.

This might actually end up saving the game IMO. Longer season and expanded playoffs in exchange for more money to the players. You want to create excitement for your league? Get more teams into the playoffs.

"Ownership convened on Thursday to consider a CBA proposal that among other things would provide the league the option to expand to a 17-game schedule, increase the players' share of total revenue to at least 48 percent and expand the playoff field to 14 teams starting in 2020"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102575/article/nfl-ownership-approves-terms-of-potential-new-cba

56 minutes ago, Jericho said:

One interesting quirk of the current system is that it allowed teams to use both the franchise and transition tags in the same year for the final year of the CBA (this year). Not that you would think it would matter much, but it could be very useful to a team like Dallas as both Prescott and Cooper are potentially heading towards unrestricted free agency. Not to mention Byron Jones. If the two sides agree to a new deal, I suspect that quirk goes away and although its unlikely to help the Redskins, I like anything that does not benefit Dallas.

I also wonder if June 1 cut designations will come back for this year. Could be a factor with Alex Smith

"One potential notable change would be that teams would only be able to use only one tag (franchise or transition) when the tag window opens on Feb. 25. That change could affect the plans of teams like the Cowboys, Buccaneers and Titans, all of whom are thought to be considering placing both tags on impending free agents."

From same article above.

2 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

Unfortunately this seems like a publicity stunt by the owners to put the pressure of public opinion on the NFLPA in their upcoming vote. It's only one small step towards a new CBA as I see it

If the owners voted on a negotiated deal between the NFLPA and the NFL, then by definition the leadership of the NFLPA believes it’s a good deal, and believes their membership will approve it.

The NFLPA looks really stupid if they agree to something which the league votes on which their membership can’t agree to. 

The key line in the release is they voted on the negotiated terms. 

Unless the NFL is lying and they voted on something the NFLPA didn’t agree to, both sides think this will pass.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

NFLPA executive committee votes 6-5 against recommending CBA proposal 

Better enjoy 2020 because we are probably heading for a labor stoppage in 2021. 

You seem so extremely positive that’s what’s going to happen....I think you’ve said it 5 times already 😂 you don’t think the CBA can be agreed upon by late July like what happened in summer 2011? 

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

NFLPA executive committee votes 6-5 against recommending CBA proposal 

Better enjoy 2020 because we are probably heading for a labor stoppage in 2021. 

So I need to read more about this, but this looks really bad for the NFLPA negotiators. If they negotiated a deal and the exec committee rejected it, that’s really bizarre.  

So the full membership of players will vote next week (2,100 players), I'm guessing they will fall in line with the executive committee's vote but we shall see.

I had a feeling this was too good to be true, you have some strong personalities on the committee for the NFLPA and if you've been listening to what they have been saying there was no reason to expect a quick resolution.

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

You seem so extremely positive that’s what’s going to happen....I think you’ve said it 5 times already 😂 you don’t think the CBA can be agreed upon by late July like what happened in summer 2011? 

Depends on the will of the players. If the cave, then yes they reach agreement in time for training camp.

Archived