Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Norman released

BaseCommander

As @MikeGarafolo first reported, the Washington Redskins will be releasing Josh Norman per sources. I was told Head Coach Ron Rivera wants to meet with Norman. #Redskins

23 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Where did you see that Ron wants to meet with him? 

As @MikeGarafolo first reported, the Washington Redskins will be releasing Josh Norman per sources. I was told Head Coach Ron Rivera wants to meet with Norman. #Redskins

37 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Happy with this move.  Wasn't even playing for the team at the end - not a surprise.  I was at the game in NY and couldn't believe how bad he looked in person during that game.  

Should have seen it on TV here in Idaho...pffff...good move

1 hour ago, checmate21 said:

Wonder why Ron still wants to meet with him? Guess to tell him it's just business or is he trying to bring him back on a smaller deal...just thoughts

My first thought is Ron wants to bring him back on a smaller deal.  Bc if he wasn't going to try to convince him to come back, why wouldn't you meet with him and tell him face to face he is being released instead of having the news break beforehand?  Personally, I don't want him back on any size deal, bc I don't trust that he would be content to being a back up, and I also don't want Ron to feel he should give a roster spot to JN over a young pup that has potential.  We know Norman is declining, let's see what a young prospect can do instead.

I would have absolutely NO problem with Norman coming back on a much smaller deal. Gives him a chance to make right for the last few seasons and prove that it was the previous regime, gives the Skins a hard nosed player who, by all accounts loves the new HC, gives tremendous cap relief, and if he turns out to be better than he has it gives the Skins a boost at CB.

If it doesn't work, he's on a small deal and can be cut. 

Bringing him back is a good option. He'll shop first and see if he can get a better deal for sure. 

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I would have absolutely NO problem with Norman coming back on a much smaller deal. Gives him a chance to make right for the last few seasons and prove that it was the previous regime, gives the Skins a hard nosed player who, by all accounts loves the new HC, gives tremendous cap relief, and if he turns out to be better than he has it gives the Skins a boost at CB.

Bringing him back is a good option. He'll shop first and see if he can get a better deal for sure. 

I would not bring Norman back....he is not focused on football, he has proven that he wants to be an entertainer off the field.

At this point in his career he lacks motivation to play the game.  If he gets that fire back then he could be more than serviceable, but it would be a hard pass for me right now.

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I would have absolutely NO problem with Norman coming back on a much smaller deal.

I would have a problem if they bring him back with the intention of him doing anything but competing for a roster spot. Whatever size contract he would come in on.

If he's brought in to compete, and then wins a job, I'd be more than fine with that on a low contract basis. I think, just like with all of our defensive players over the last decade, Josh was the victim of absolutely horrendous coaching on defense while he was here.  Was he good?  No.  Does he have the skills to be good?  Questionable.  Was he used correctly to maximize his skills, which made him a top corner in Carolina? Definitively not.

So if he was brought back and they thought they could use him better, fine.  But essentially as a tryout they could get out of if they needed to, and also with other plans in place. I'd almost see this is as a backup plan if whatever plan A is didn't work out.   

I actually have no idea if somebody else will pick him up for any type of guaranteed money.  Somebody might just say he was Manusky-ed, and he's still good enough, and pay him.  Or they might see him getting run by constantly and maybe nobody is interested.  It's tough to tell.  

My bet is he's somewhere else or retired.  I would put retirement at maybe 30% chance at the moment. 

Obvious move and had nothing to do with Dunbars deal. If that be the case, it would speak to business as usual in Redskins land. I refuse to believe that still exist.

But with that said, Norman may do well with a defense with a strong front and a secondary that communicates well. I think he's got some play in him. I just think his confidence is compromised. Good luck. No ill will towards any player in the league on my end. Life is too short for that ****. 

I like how methodical Rivera has been over the past 4 days. He said his staff was getting started on the 10th to identify their core players and what not. He's spoken to Trent, Dunbar and obviously Norman. That's 3 significant moves in 4 days.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Nah. Norman is gone. He'd be crazy to take a pay cut. Hell, anyone in any business would be crazy to do that. Norman will go somewhere else and receive a small incentive laden prove it deal. If he balls out, cool for him. But at 32, no speed (and really playing on this big contract off one good season with the Panthers), his 15 minutes is up IMO. Hope for his sake that he does great where ever he goes. Just not against the Redskins. It'd be ironic if he gets picked up by the Giants.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

This was the right thing to do. He did better here than people gave him credit for but it was time to move on. 

i wish him the best unless he plays against the Skins. 

No he didn't. He had a good first year and was bad to terrible the past two seasons. A complete liability.

3 hours ago, checmate21 said:

Wonder why Ron still wants to meet with him? Guess to tell him it's just business or is he trying to bring him back on a smaller deal...just thoughts

Rivera has a close relationship with Norman.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

This was the right thing to do. He did better here than people gave him credit for but it was time to move on. 

Josh Norman.

Just now, Sticksboi05 said:

No he didn't. He had a good first year and was bad to terrible the past two seasons. A complete liability.

I knew someone would have to beat their chest and - No, he just sucked. Well sir I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but he took a lot of beatings he should not have making up for poor game planning, poor use of his skills and poor play by the players around him. 

In the end he was not playing well and he is deservedly off the team. But he had more than one good year. He was injured in 2017 and still had 64 tackles, 9 passes defensed and 2 FF. Had similar numbers in 2018 which except for lower passes defended because people went the other way, were the numbers he had in the supposed one good year.

He got blamed by fans for quite a few plays were he was covering for someone missing an assignment making it look like he missed the play. This year he checked out when he saw it going bad. 

Some of you clearly do not understand the impact of being in such a negative culture can have on your desire to play. Yet until this year he actually played pretty well - up to his contract? Probably not. But very few do. 

The amount of hate for this guy is over the top. Again, he played better than many fans gave him credit for but it was time for him to be released. 

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Well...there’s another jersey i own that i wont be able to wear next season😂😂 and I’m just guessing i wont Be able to wear my reed jersey either....😑 

If it's a stitched jersey you can take the name plate off and it's still good...I have a #10 throwback Skins jersey from the RGlll years and it's still good to wear. I actually like it better without the name on it. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Some of you clearly do not understand the impact of being in such a negative culture can have on your desire to play. Yet until this year he actually played pretty well - up to his contract? Probably not. But very few do.

You'll get no arguments from me that every player who has come here the past 20+ years has regularly been put in position to fail or not perform as well as on past teams. But he is not alone in that and his performance has certainly been worse than others who were also poorly used by fools like Greg Manusky and Joe Barry.

Yes, part of it is his contract. Well guess what, that's sports. And as fans, we get to be annoyed when players drain salary cap and stink it up.

Archived