Sign in to follow this  
PleaseBlitz

Poll: Should Pete Rose be Reinstated to MLB?

Poll: Should Pete Rose be Reinstated to MLB?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Should Pete Rose be Reinstated to MLB?

I used to support Rose being reinstated.  Then I saw that recent 60 Minutes interview.  He remains totally unrepentant and combative about what he did.  So screw him.

Edit: it wasn't 60 minutes, it was an interview with Don Von Natta on ESPN.  I hadn't actually paid much attention in the past or heard Rose in an interview before, but  after that I came away thinking pretty much Rose was basically an ass, and more than that, he just didn't get it.  I don't want someone like that being reinstated.

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

I don’t think hall of fames should attempt to punitively edit history.  It doesn’t work and to me history is the primary role of the Halls.  A history of greatness.  Trouble is, history is filled with assholes.  Great ones to be sure, but assholes all the same.  History can’t be told without them.  It makes more sense to tell a more complete history of those greats that made big mistakes, than it does to omit them.  

But we don’t want to celebrate scumbags right?  We don’t want to see them have another day in the sun when we know they broke the rules or did some awful thing.  I get that, so I would make a special rule for them:  those known to be cheats and criminals aren’t eligible until after they die.  No speech.  No feeling of accomplishment.  

A record of greatness, warts and all. 

7 minutes ago, Destino said:

I don’t think hall of fames should attempt to punitively edit history.  It doesn’t work and to me history is the primary role of the Halls.  A history of greatness.  Trouble is, history is filled with assholes.  Great ones to be sure, but assholes all the same.  History can’t be told without them.  It makes more sense to tell a more complete history of those greats that made big mistakes, than it does to omit them.  

But we don’t want to celebrate scumbags right?  We don’t want to see them have another day in the sun when we know they broke the rules or did some awful thing.  I get that, so I would make a special rule for them:  those known to be cheats and criminals aren’t eligible until after they die.  No speech.  No feeling of accomplishment.  

A record of greatness, warts and all. 

I'm on the same page - if they put Rose in after he checks out, fine with me.  But no way I would put him in while still alive, unless his attitude changes and he owns up to what he did.    And thats probably not going to happen.    

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not catching everyone is the reason to come down hard on the ones you do catch. Make an example out of them so the next person thinks twice. 

I dunno, that sounds kinda Taliban to me dawg.

His gambling doesn’t seem to have given him an unfair advantage over other players. He should be in the Hall of Fame. 

No one on the 2017 Astros should be getting in however. 

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

I dunno, that sounds kinda Taliban to me dawg.

LOL. It’s been an underpinning of crime and punishment for as long as civilizations have existed. 

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/atd-bmcc-criminaljustice/chapter/section-2-5-theories-of-punishment/

Deterrence

It has been a popular notion throughout the ages that fear of punishment can reduce or eliminate undesirable behavior. This notion has always been popular among criminal justice thinkers. These ideas have been formalized in several different ways. The Utilitarian philosopher Jeremy Bentham is credited with articulating the three elements that must be present if deterrence is to work: The punishment must be administered with celerity, certainty, and appropriate severity. These elements are applied under a type rational choice theory. Rational choice theory is the simple idea that people think about committing a crime before they do it. If the rewards of the crime outweigh the punishment, then they do the prohibited act. If the punishment is seen as outweighing the rewards, then they do not do it. Sometimes criminologists borrow the phrase cost-benefit analysis from economists to describe this sort of decision-making process.

Edited by PleaseBlitz

No he shouldn't be let in but to me, baseball as a whole sport is tainted.  Is there an era where we don't know that someone was doing something they shouldn't?  I think that is a lot of why I don't even follow baseball much anymore.  Like I said, the whole sport is tainted.