Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ooooweee Dunbar wants to be traded!

joeken24

17 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Disappointing, but I'm not sure how much I'm leaning towards "eff him."  I think he saw what happened with Norman, knows we're looking at other CB's, and could see with Reed how quickly your career can go away.  I don't much mind him doing this in February as opposed to June.  I'd like to see him stay, though.

I'm in the same place, just feel like he's being tone deaf on how to handle this.  It says we declined the conversation, but I wonder if that was more us wanting to have a better idea of the big picture before we start talking.  We have to figure out Trent / Scherff / Kerrigan, as well as see what happens with Reed, before we actually know how much we can spend on an extension to a player who is under contract.  Dunbar is under contract, and his replacement wont be brought in until (at the earliest) March 18.  I don't like that he's pushing the narrative a month before he even knows whats going to happen.   My assumption is that the money situation will be  A LOT different in a month, and the team will address Dunbar's contract at some point.   He may have just given them a reason to hold onto him at his number, prioritize a CB in Free Agency even more, and continue to plan on life after he's gone. 

I have no beef with Dunbar, but how do you realistically value his worth, contract wise? I find it absurd that people would suggest he is worth 10mil p/y.

At best, he deserves his 2020 money being fully guaranteed. Maybe even converts to a one year 5/6mil prove it deal. Anything more, I’d try and move him on.

I suspect Dunbar or his agent looked at the Redskins’ roster and thought. The team is screwed without Dunbar. He’s their only corner. We’ll never have this kind of leverage again Mwahahaha!

I am not on Dunbar’s side here. I love his story and root for him, but not only is he coming off a contract he just signed, but IR.  This isn’t his first injury either. 

on top of that, this trade me or cut me stuff runs me really wrong. Maybe he feels the old regime owes him, but this new one doesn’t know him. Maybe he ought to show them how good he is in their system before making ultimatums. 

30 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I have no beef with Dunbar, but how do you realistically value his worth, contract wise? I find it absurd that people would suggest he is worth 10mil p/y.

At best, he deserves his 2020 money being fully guaranteed. Maybe even converts to a one year 5/6mil prove it deal. Anything more, I’d try and move him on.

I mean it’s practically guaranteed in that if he’s on the team he gets paid for the year and there’s no way he wouldn’t make it. He doesn’t want a 1 year prove it deal as he probably feels like he proved it. I don’t blame him but unless Ron flat out told him to play out the last year of his deal then he’s being hasty in his judgement.

Without Allen at the table what's the hold up? 

I mean Dunbar is a young, good player. Why not negotiate now where he's not a FA, so there's some leverage in extending him? 

Anyway, it will be interesting how Rivera handles this. We all assume it would be better because Allen is gone, but we can't forget how things broke down between Rivera and Norman in Carolina. They pulled the franchise tag after free agency starts, which is typically a dirty move. Most teams spent their cash, so Norman had less suitors. Granted, in that situation there was one team left that was willing to overpay for his services...

I mean I get it. Dunbar signed for cheap, which in retrospect was a bad move for him. He's now in the last year of his current deal. It's not unusual for teams to talk new deal at this point. Some teams even refuse to consider a new deal until you are in the last year. So it's makes sense and Dunbar's not doing anything unusual. I'd also admit he's probably a tough player to properly gauge value wise given the injuries and lack of a long track record. Which might be part of the hesitance of renegotiation. I suspect Dunbar wants way more than the team is willing to offer without more "proof" on the field. We'll see how this plays out. Dunbar's obviously not being released, but Earl Thomas kept grumbling for years about his deal before it just finally expired.

Dunbar has no leverage. Zero. Any **** move he makes now will only hurt his chances at the contract he desires. Every time he opens his mouth, or talks about sitting out OTAs to prevent injury just makes him look worse to other 31 teams out there. If he sits out the season he's a moron and would lose millions of dollars by the time he hits FA. All he has to do is come to work and play like he's capable of playing and he'll get paid.

Whoever is guiding him is presenting bad optics ESPECIALLY with a new coaching staff after Ron said basically "buy in or get out".  Christ kid, give it til new league year to see if they come to you after hopefully handling the big ticket items first like Ryan, Trent, Scherff.  The  "Ize gotta gets mindze" mantra is lame for a person in his sitch.  Its his fault that he ****ed and requested a trade in media to then back off then ask for contract talks.   Damn backwards ass thinking.  Ask first and if the team tells you straight up No or you're not in their plans for a contract talk right now, then ask for trade. 

9 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Man if we could get a second or a 3rd and a 4th for Dunbar that'd be awesome. The latter is probably way more likely, but we could find some great talent in this draft with those extra picks.

If that happened we'd have two 3rds and three 4th round picks.

That would be awesome.  Given his injury history and contract status, my guess would be more like a 3rd or 4th and a conditional later round pick, or a  later pick this year (a 5th maybe?) and a conditional higher pick next year (anywhere from 2nd down to nothing).  I have no idea though of course.  

There does come a point in which you consider the compensatory pick you could get.  He says trade or release, but you’d think he’d have to be motivated to play big in a contract year... which gives us good corner play this year and a higher pick next year when he signs elsewhere.  Also gives us more time to find a replacement.  

Archived