Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ooooweee Dunbar wants to be traded!

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

The comp pick wouldn't be available to the Skins until 2022...and the formula goes, each year out reduces a draft pick by a round. So a 3rd rounder in 2022 would be the equivalent of a 4th rounder in 2021 and a 5th rounder in 2020...which is what we got lol.

This is a massive myth the Patriots and others busted long ago, and only requires basic common sense to see.  A 4th rounder in this years draft is no more valuable to a franchises long term success than a 4th rounder in the next year.  Both will play the same number of years for the franchise.  They are only more valuable to a coach and GM who arent good enough to retain their job, and instead might be fired if they dont mortgage the future.  Getting 4 quality years from a 3rd rounder in 2022 is way better than getting 2 mediocre years from a 5th round pick.  In fact, its even worse than that as keeping a good player until he leaves via FA means you get an extra season of good play from a player.  If a 3rd rounder gets you 4 good seasons, and a 5th rounder(very generously) gets you 3, you actually get 5 seasons vs 3 for keeping the player an extra year.

The only exception to that is when mortgaging the future for a legitimate immediate shot at the super bowl, and a team just needs a couple of players.

8 hours ago, Califan007 said:

The comp pick wouldn't be available to the Skins until 2022...and the formula goes, each year out reduces a draft pick by a round. So a 3rd rounder in 2022 would be the equivalent of a 4th rounder in 2021 and a 5th rounder in 2020...which is what we got lol.

Yeah but we also would have gotten one more year of cheap cb play.so we have that away for free.

I agree that we should have got more for Dunbar. But as a coach for over 25 years, there's absolutely nothing worse than a player that shows up each day that doesn't want to be there. It truly is a detriment to the team and a never ending exhaustion for the coach. Furthermore, it undermines the whole program when everybody else on the team knows that the guy doesn't want to be there and yet still starts each week. This is the culture that we have had in the past that Ron Rivera is trying to change. He was given a five-year contract and might fail miserably in those five years. But with that said I think we need to give him more then a few months during a quarantine time for our nation to judge whether or not this is one of the right step into changing the overall culture.

I for one am just happy we have something else to discuss on here that matters very little by comparison.  Thank you NFL for continuing a MODIFIED  busy approach.

• Like 4

As the original poster stated, we had the worst training staff in the NFL especially when we had three straight years of multiple players injured.  Dunbar didn't have any guarantee money left on his contract and thought that he would be a disgruntle player, hold the team hostage, and get paid. But that was the culture before Rivera was hired. So when Dunbar walked back on his demand for a trade I think he wanted to see if Rivera was going to do. Then when Dunbar didn't get what he wanted he asked again for a trade and Ron was like, "Ok." Rivera is going to get the players that want to play and get rid of the ones that don't. Everyone wants more for a player that plays like Dunbar did, when he is healthy. That was the problem. He was never completely healthy every year and we won't know that now that he has been traded.  

• Like 3

At first glance getting just a 5th for Dunbar seems crappy, but the truth is before this past year he was pretty much just a #3/#4 type CB who was injured often. He's now also 28 and wants a new contract. And while he was good last year, he wasn't Sherman or Ramsey good. I think a 5th is fine, maybe a taaaad under value but I don't think we were super ripped off or anything.

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

At first glance getting just a 5th for Dunbar seems crappy, but the truth is before this past year he was pretty much just a #3/#4 type CB who was injured often. He's now also 28 and wants a new contract. And while he was good last year, he wasn't Sherman or Ramsey good. I think a 5th is fine, maybe a taaaad under value but I don't think we were super ripped off or anything.

And he's been saying he wants out and a trade, which hurts our ability to get top value because teams KNOW we have to get rid of the guy. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Pete Carroll loves people with character issues.....good luck Seattle. Only played in 58 of 80 games with 25 starts. Is that worth a 3rd or 4th round pick? Not sure, but combined with a bad attitude I'm ok with it.

He loves good corners with tons of length and he's a strong coach who maintains good relationships with his players and manages locker room conflicts well.  Are you looking down on Seattle for their success?

• Like 3

Nope,  lived there for 15 years.  I actually like the team.  Just not Carroll, all started back with the USC stuff.  Also not sure they got a good corner,  but time will tell. 

Edited by tmandoug1
4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He loves good corners with tons of length and he's a strong coach who maintains good relationships with his players and manages locker room conflicts well.  Are you looking down on Seattle for their success?

Oh he loves guys with length.  🙄

• Haha 4
On 3/24/2020 at 8:41 PM, Warhead36 said:

Spot on here bro.  That PFF grade doesn't tell the whole story.  When there's always someone else wide open, why even throw at Dunbar?  The facts of the stats say that Dunbar is going to be MIA a quarter of every season.  If you have to pay that guy +10M with a long term deal, forget that noise! 

The value of a 5th round gap of 14 slots is negligible in the value you get from a backup already familiar with your new OC and system.  Though not ideal, I'm taking that trade more times than not. 

• Like 1
On 3/25/2020 at 5:30 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

He wanted more money this year and the freedom to hit free agency next year.  

That’s ludicrous.  Nobody would agree to that.  If anything this confirms somebody was giving him insanely bad advice. 

SI is always full of BS attempting to get views. 

What seems clear to me is that TW needs a new agent.  He has handled this whole thing the wrong way and obviously didnt know what he was doing.  The Skins have ALL the leverage on TW now with this new CBA.  He has to do what they say or retire as the fines will be excessive and mandatory by league rules.  He will not get credit for the year by holding out and cannot end up a FA at the end of the season if he doesn't show up and play out his contract.  Skins got him by the nutz now.  Some contender will have a LT go down and give up the right compensation eventually or TW can retire from the NFL and pay back the remainder of his signing bonus. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

SI is always full of BS attempting to get views. 

What seems clear to me is that TW needs a new agent.  He has handled this whole thing the wrong way and obviously didnt know what he was doing.  The Skins have ALL the leverage on TW now with this new CBA.  He has to do what they say or retire as the fines will be excessive and mandatory by league rules.  He will not get credit for the year by holding out and cannot end up a FA at the end of the season if he doesn't show up and play out his contract.  Skins got him by the nutz now.  Some contender will have a LT go down and give up the right compensation eventually or TW can retire from the NFL and pay back the remainder of his signing bonus. 

Ok but my post was about Dunny and is in a Dunny thread. 

Wrong thread perhaps?

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok but my post was about Dunny and is in a Dunny thread. 

Wrong thread perhaps?

think i crossed them up.  that tweet points to SI articles and i was on both Dunbar and TW comments.  I think i agreed with you on one and thought Fuller would be a CB.  Cheers 🍻

This doesn't bode well for the Trent Williams impasse. It seems when a player doesn't want to be here coach is willing to ship them out for peanuts. 

Just as an FYI, Dunbar will net more than a 5th in a comp pick this following season. This effectively will cost Seattle nothing for a young, good corner on a cheap one year deal. 

7 minutes ago, Unbias said:

This doesn't bode well for the Trent Williams impasse. It seems when a player doesn't want to be here coach is willing to ship them out for peanuts. 

Just as an FYI, Dunbar will net more than a 5th in a comp pick this following season. This effectively will cost Seattle nothing for a young, good corner on a cheap one year deal. 

How? He was a UDFA to the ‘Skins and Seattle didn’t sign him as a FA or draft him.