Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ooooweee Dunbar wants to be traded!

joeken24

31 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Fuller is coming from a Super Bowl winning team and played very well there. He's earned that money.

Dunbar, despite injuries, has done well, too. But he isn't helping himself with this malcontent, public grievance line he is taking.

Of course, it may not just be money with Dunbar. Maybe he got to used to Gruden's laid back, club med ways, and Rivera is too hard nosed for him.

Who knows.

I think Dunbar's agent almost has to play hardball and try to get a new contract in today's NFL. His client will likely never be ranked as high as #2 in the league for corners again and he's in the last year of a deal. Can't say why the Skins won't at least make him an offer but RR must have a way of doing things no matter who the player is? Having to replace a pro bowl left tackle and your top corner is a tall order for any organization, maybe we are officially rebuilding?

38 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Dunbar, despite injuries, has done well, too. But he isn't helping himself with this malcontent, public grievance line he is taking.

This reminds me of an experience form my own life.

Years ago, when my first play was being produced in New York I got to sit in on the auditions. I was a low level playwright and didn't have much pull, but it was a thrill to be there. I remember a number of auditions happening and taking some notes while trying to imagine the actors fulfilling the roles  I had written when in comes this one actor. He delivers his monologue and for the first time I decide to speak. When he leaves, I turn to the director and say,

"So, what about that one? He's pretty good?"

The director looked at me and said words I have applied in many places. He said,

"You're right. He is good, but we're not hiring him."

"Why?" I asked.

"He's only a B, but he's a diva and a pain in the ass. I have to live with this actor for six months. If he was an A you put up with it. For an A+ you put up with almost anything, but for a B it's not worth it."

Right now, Dunbar (on social media) is acting like a B that is a pain in the ass. He's good, but he's not good enough for all the fussing and headaches. And the risk that all the fussing goes away if he gets a new contract is sketchy, too. Complainers find something to complain about. There's a good chance he'll be happy for a week and then grouse about something else.

Edit: Trent's a bit different because On-field Trent has been an A and sometimes an A+. Dunbar is not on Trent Williams' level. They're players of different stature.

I’d see if TB is interested on both TW and QD in a package. They are the perfect trade partner

- TB has holes at both LT and CB (esp at CB, which negates a strong front 7)

- Dunbar is from Florida so this is a chance for him to go home

- They have $23M in cap left so enough to fit both TW and Dunbar

- Arians is the type of coach who should feel good about keeping both guys in line. Higher chance they behave because going to TB gives both a real chance at winning

- They have assets we want

I would ship both off for OJ Howard + a 2nd this year + 5th rd pick + a conditional pick next year (a 2nd or a 3rd)

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Fuller is coming from a Super Bowl winning team and played very well there. He's earned that money.

Of course, it may not just be money with Dunbar. Maybe he got to used to Gruden's laid back, club med ways, and Rivera is too hard nosed for him.

Who knows.

Dont disagree with everything here but saying "he played very well" is not accurate. KC was actually disappointed in his play, heck he even got benched, and was only playing in the superbowl because of an injury.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Dunbar will likely go to KC after we’ve paid for Fuller and Breeland.

No one can say where QD will go to but I think it's possible that when he's traded or possibly before Breeland will be a Skin.  :)

5 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

Dont disagree with everything here but saying "he played very well" is not accurate. KC was actually disappointed in his play, heck he even got benched, and was only playing in the superbowl because of an injury.

Actually he did play well.

In 2018.

Not so much in 2019, though he was dealing with some injuries.

But he showed up big in the Super Bowl, including a key interception.

That's what you want. Players showing up big in big games.

I think he'll do fine in Rivera's defense.

5 hours ago, method man said:

I’d see if TB is interested on both TW and QD in a package. They are the perfect trade partner

- TB has holes at both LT and CB (esp at CB, which negates a strong front 7)

- Dunbar is from Florida so this is a chance for him to go home

- They have $23M in cap left so enough to fit both TW and Dunbar

- Arians is the type of coach who should feel good about keeping both guys in line. Higher chance they behave because going to TB gives both a real chance at winning

- They have assets we want

I would ship both off for OJ Howard + a 2nd this year + 5th rd pick + a conditional pick next year (a 2nd or a 3rd)

good post, however imo, if we are gonna deal TW and QD to Tampa, within the conference, we HAVE to get their 1st round pick either this year or next. I think we Skins fans undervalue our players, especially TW and now QD. If Tampa wants the #2 graded out CB in the league then they need to buck up a 1st round pick, or a 2nd and Howard with TW plus a future 1st or 2nd. 

We would be giving them 2 incredible players so they need to pay high for two likely pro bowl players.. 

" Dunbar recorded a career-high four interceptions and was ranked the No. 2 cornerback by Pro Football Focus --  he has a decent case for wanting a new deal. "

The guy is also the best player in OUR secondary.  And he is making peanuts as one of the best in the NFL.

It's not disloyal to ask for a new contract.  How stubbornly stupid do you have to be to not reward a terrific performance with something, even if not close to

what he's worth.  This is my biggest fear about Rivera.

Not one of the free agent CBs out there sounds like a starting player.

37 minutes ago, nickel7168 said:

" Dunbar recorded a career-high four interceptions and was ranked the No. 2 cornerback by Pro Football Focus --  he has a decent case for wanting a new deal. "

The guy is also the best player in OUR secondary.  And he is making peanuts as one of the best in the NFL.

It's not disloyal to ask for a new contract.  How stubbornly stupid do you have to be to not reward a terrific performance with something, even if not close to

Why are "stubborn" and "stupid" the only valid options for not giving Dunbar what he wants?...

If I were to guess, there are at least two player characteristics that matter to Rivera as much as PFF grades: availability and culture fit. I'm not sure Dunbar has proven he possesses either trait so far.

1 hour ago, nickel7168 said:

There's some truth here that I often overlook but is worthy of consideration. We don't know what convos have happened between RR and QD, we only see the tweets on one side. Maybe they're the symptom and not the cause. It's true that QD is being underpaid, it's also true that loyalty is a 2 way street. IF QD asked to discuss this and was refused, then his tweetrage is at least understandable

There is also a question of fit. Norman was a great corner in Carolina. He was average here before he became bad. Is Dunbar a great corner in Del Rio's system? They don't know. He hasn't even been part of a single practice. Maybe if Dunbar showed up at an offseason practice (which I understand he can't) and wowed Del Rio and Rivera with his skills, want to, and understanding of the scheme they'd sprint to tear up the contract to lock him up long term, but before Corona shut everything down... even before we ever heard of Corona, Dunbar screamed cut me or trade me!

You could argue that Gruden and Manusky owed Dunbar something, but does Rivera? Maybe Dunbar is Jerimiah Trotter, an excellent middle linebacker in Philly who utterly failed when he tried a new scheme in Washington and then when he returned to Philly suddenly became good again.

So before the Redskins draft a new contract don't they deserve to see if 1) Dunbar is healthy and 2) Dubar is any good in their system? Isn't it wise to meet the boss and actually do some work before demanding a raise?

On 3/21/2020 at 9:35 PM, skinsfan212689 said:

**** Dunbar. You don’t handle business in the media. I’m all in for RR way of handing this. 

trust me we will be better off without him and Trent. The drama isn’t worth the production or lack there of that we’ve been getting from them. 3-13 = anybody can go. 

Hail

Well said

33 minutes ago, #1skinsfanever said:

Well said

it is well said, but who are we gonna replace these malcontents with? Our malcontents are our best players? Somehow we need to change this rather than trade them all....what happens when Guice or Terry Mac complain about their contracts? Trade them too? 

14 hours ago, nickel7168 said:

A career high in interceptions and it was only 4 the No. 2 CB in the NFL please we all know better than that come on now. Our best corner YES but we was 3-13 with a bottom half defense who's secondary was terrible. Most important he don't stay healthy 9 and 5 games missed the last 2 season's. Now is he good yes not great but good I really wanted to keep him but but the way he and Trent has gone on about it is all WRONG. We are not winning with them so can't be much worst without them. Let's build this culture up the bad chips re weeding themselves out on their own all good to great player are not worth it. They are not who we thought they were and not as good as they think they are.

35 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

it is well said, but who are we gonna replace these malcontents with? Our malcontents are our best players? Somehow we need to change this rather than trade them all....what happens when Guice or Terry Mac complain about their contracts? Trade them too? 

Again what did we win with these so call great or good players? We was 3-13 we have NOT won anything with them so why put up with this mess. Trent (I hope he's healthy) but it was mostly about money from the get go Dunbar is getting bad advise or not listening he comes out on the very day RR said they would sit down and evaluate the team with demands LOL who does that then he go's back and forth about what he said. RR is setting rules and starting a culture that we need here, give him a chance. As for Guice and TMac if they don't like it they can sign elsewhere after the rookie contract. But if we are not winning then HELL YEAH get whoever OUT nobody's off limits. Now if we are winning that's a different story LOL.

52 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Guice? A guy who hasn’t even played a handful of games in two seasons?

16 minutes ago, #1skinsfanever said:

Again what did we win with these so call great or good players? We was 3-13 we have NOT won anything with them so why put up with this mess. Trent (I hope he's healthy) but it was mostly about money from the get go Dunbar is getting bad advise or not listening he comes out on the very day RR said they would sit down and evaluate the team with demands LOL who does that then he go's back and forth about what he said. RR is setting rules and starting a culture that we need here, give him a chance. As for Guice and TMac if they don't like it they can sign elsewhere after the rookie contract. But if we are not winning then HELL YEAH get whoever OUT nobody's off limits. Now if we are winning that's a different story LOL.

Playing the other side of your point, just imagine how good Dunbar will be in a defense where there is pass rush with good coaching? If he was that highly rated on a 3-13 team he should be even better on a team that wins. Good corners are hard to find and Dunbar is probably still learning his craft. I see your point but just cause guys are unhappy doesn't mean we just give them away. 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Playing the other side of your point, just imagine how good Dunbar will be in a defense where there is pass rush with good coaching? If he was that highly rated on a 3-13 team he should be even better on a team that wins. Good corners are hard to find and Dunbar is probably still learning his craft. I see your point but just cause guys are unhappy doesn't mean we just give them away. 

I've actually thought about this, and wondered if his value would take a drastic tick up... then i realized something... We were the 2nd to last rush defense in the NFL last year as far as YPG avg @ 146.2.  We were 15th in Passing @ 238.9.  Teams didnt necessarily HAVE to go down field against our corners, because they ran the ball so well, and when they did go downfield, Josh Norman was on the other side.  Dunbar had some decent metrics, but i wonder how skewed those numbers truly are, if teams were in fact just picking on the other, 'weaker' CBs.  I don't have access to those metrics directly, so i could be off base, but it makes me wonder. 

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

True but it's just as much up to Dunbar to fall in line to see if he would be better and see his fit in this defense instead of running his mouth and twitter fingers. He's still talking about ex-team docs and executives that's not here anymore and that leads me to think just like Trent that unless we pay up not worth it money that they want out regardless. If he can stay healthy he deserves a new contract but show and prove.

25 minutes ago, #1skinsfanever said:

True but it's just as much up to Dunbar to fall in line to see if he would be better and see his fit in this defense instead of running his mouth and twitter fingers. He's still talking about ex-team docs and executives that's not here anymore and that leads me to think just like Trent that unless we pay up not worth it money that they want out regardless. If he can stay healthy he deserves a new contract but show and prove.

All good points, some of these NFL players are doing what their agents are telling them to do. Did you ever hear the story about the NFL WR who's agent told him to go back to the team and be as disruptive a force as he could possibly be? Their plan was to confront John Gruden directly knowing how much he hated confrontation in an effort to get Gruden to cave and trade him. It worked.....wish I could remember who the WR was, I know it was a pretty big name. 

I don't know that Dunbar is a bad guy or that his agent is behind a lot of this. I do agree that he is handling things badly but it looks like he may get his wish. 

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

All good points, some of these NFL players are doing what their agents are telling them to do. Did you ever hear the story about the NFL WR who's agent told him to go back to the team and be as disruptive a force as he could possibly be? Their plan was to confront John Gruden directly knowing how much he hated confrontation in an effort to get Gruden to cave and trade him. It worked.....wish I could remember who the WR was, I know it was a pretty big name. 

I don't know that Dunbar is a bad guy or that his agent is behind a lot of this. I do agree that he is handling things badly but it looks like he may get his wish. 

IDK i do know Gruden had a major problem with Keshawn Johnson  in Tampa Bay is that who you are thinking of?

On 3/22/2020 at 12:15 PM, SkinsGuy said:

But he showed up big in the Super Bowl, including a key interception.

San Fran was down by 2 possessions with less than a minute to go, the game was over when Jimmy G threw the hail mary that Fuller picked.

I do not understand why everyone is so giddy about this pickup, he's a very average player.

Archived