Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ooooweee Dunbar wants to be traded!

joeken24

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

That's only a part of it. Its based more on not wanting to be injured in OTAs and saying that if they're not going to re-sign him, then why not cut or trade him to a team where they will? 

We don't know how far along his new contract was with Bruce and the old regime, but suppose they had agreed on a number and were close on guarantees and then his agent shows that offer to Ron and Ron hasn't gotten back to him. Its probably something frustrating because you don't know where you stand. And the reports are that he'll be in training camp but not the voluntary stuff where he's taking all the risk himself that they'll still sign him if he gets injured. 

A trade demand because the brand new front office hasnt banged down your door yet seems crazy.  Particularly since he doesnt know their intentions since their hasnt been contact.  

Not going to OTAs is one thing, I'm fine with that under the contractual circumstances.  But he went way past that to "I want outta here".  He's taking the lack of contact in the 5-6 weeks since Rivera's been here as a sign of blatant disinterest.  It's been even less time since the financial guy that replaced Schaeffer came onboard.  

I guess it's possible there was the makings of a deal before Bruce left, but to go from that to a trade demand based on basically nothing seems extreme.  

Kinda seems like Ron is just starting to reach out to players.  Haskins, Trent, you know, the important ones.  lol

Why is it that when a player who has question marks signs or finishes out a contract for a meager salary for one year people praise that player for "gambling on himself" but when a player goes the opposite route they rarely get called out on it.

Dunbar was still early in his transition to a new position, he could have signed a one or two year deal betting on himself but he didn't, he decided to sign a 3 year deal.

I'd wager that 3 year deal gave him more guaranteed money than a one year deal would have and he wasn't confident enough that he'd turn into the P.f.f. god that apparently he has become.

He gambled against himself and lost so I have very little sympathy now that he wants to reshuffle the deck before the hand is done.

22 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The fact that Fabian Moreau is 4th on that list immediately disqualifies the list.

I think that was probably a mistake on their part.  Moreau was credited with a 93.3 passer rating against on Pro Football Reference.  Bradberry was at 70.1.

Moreau:

image.png.025f155948969074f3a37e974cfae134.png

Bradberry:

image.png.7010938bbefd50553d03b856e403496b.png

Dunbar:

image.png.9559d6c05ab77e92a7e8e9a273d404f6.png

Norman:

image.png.881e7bbae556007a9dbf615f8b0ab617.png

Byron Jones:

image.png.053656c63f7191a2bf18fce8d40654fa.png

35 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The fact that Fabian Moreau is 4th on that list immediately disqualifies the list.

So, Dunbar was the best corner in the league. Moreau was the 4th. Yet somehow we had one of the worst pass defenses in NFL history? Methinks something is rotten in Denmark's rating algorithm.

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

So, Dunbar is a good corner. He has done a fantastic job. But given his PFF grade, you know his agent is going to be pushing for a very, very large deal. In fact, I'd be willing to bet his agent has already begun doing that and that's a good reason why we arrived where we are now.

He has injury concerns, playing in 75% of games/season. Good corners are hard to find.

However, I think it should be noted how up and down corners are on a year to year basis and how overpaying a corner can lead to a team that struggles within the confines of the cap. The elite corners are paid a lot of money, and their play is extremely variable. 

You cannot pay Dunbar big money. 

And if he is suggesting a trade, I suggest we give it to him at this point in the regime change. 

Now, let's talk what he could fetch... I'd love to say a 2nd rounder. But I'm not sure. I think we may be able to get a third, though. And in this loaded draft class a third rounder may wind up being more valuable than Dunbar at a large number. 

Looking at it from a business side, I'd release him and let him test the market. To me if a player feels like he has outplayed his contract (and to me he has) and is going into a year with no guaranteed money, nerve/injury concerns and probably one contract to set your family up, you have to let him do that. He's currently on a 3 year, $5,700,000 that gave him a $1,000,000 signing bonus (not including uncle sam's and his agents cut). But he was only given $1,000,000 guaranteed. So he is virtually broke all things considered. 

25 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Looking at it from a business side, I'd release him and let him test the market. To me if a player feels like he has outplayed his contract (and to me he has) and is going into a year with no guaranteed money, nerve/injury concerns and probably one contract to set your family up, you have to let him do that. He's currently on a 3 year, $5,700,000 that gave him a $1,000,000 signing bonus (not including uncle sam's and his agents cut). But he was only given $1,000,000 guaranteed. So he is virtually broke all things considered. 

You cannot just release him. You HAVE to try to get assets for him. If you don’t you’re performing malpractice as the GM of a football team.

40 minutes ago, Burgold said:

So, Dunbar was the best corner in the league. Moreau was the 4th. Yet somehow we had one of the worst pass defenses in NFL history? Methinks something is rotten in Denmark's rating algorithm.

Because Norman was somehow ranked 1,271st out of a possible 84.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Fair. The defense did make a jump from horrible to merely awful once Norman was benched. Still, nah...

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that when they got beat, they got beat bad. If you give up 3 completions out of 10 but all 3 go for 50+ yard TDs, it's misleading. 

That's the thing about our corners. For the most part they played ok, but had a bad  tendency to give up really bad back-breaking plays.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that when they got beat, they got beat bad. If you give up 3 completions out of 10 but all 3 go for 50+ yard TDs, it's misleading. 

That's the thing about our corners. For the most part they played ok, but had a bad  tendency to give up really bad back-breaking plays.

Being serious for a moment, no they were awful. Worst third down completion rate in the league. Generally awful on every down. They played a break but don't bend style of defense.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Being serious for a moment, no they were awful. Worst third down completion rate in the league. Generally awful on every down. They played a break but don't bend style of defense.

I thought that was bend over but don't break..........

Maybe Dunbar didn’t handle the situation the best way but I would like to hold onto him. Sure he hasn’t remain healthy but he is a home grown talent who has developed into a pretty good 2nd corner. Give him little signing bonus and he should be happy. 

It’s obvious we will get a free agent corner and pairing him with Dunbar is better than Fabian. Fabian did play better on the outside compared to playing the slot but he just isn’t very aggressive. Plus Dunbars size is better suited going up against a bigger receiver. 

Can you blame the guy wanting a new contract? After all he’s one of the few players in our secondary who outplayed his contract. 

39 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Maybe Dunbar didn’t handle the situation the best way but I would like to hold onto him. Sure he hasn’t remain healthy but he is a home grown talent who has developed into a pretty good 2nd corner. Give him little signing bonus and he should be happy. 

It’s obvious we will get a free agent corner and pairing him with Dunbar is better than Fabian. Fabian did play better on the outside compared to playing the slot but he just isn’t very aggressive. Plus Dunbars size is better suited going up against a bigger receiver. 

Can you blame the guy wanting a new contract? After all he’s one of the few players in our secondary who outplayed his contract. 

I'm with ya. I'd prefer to hold onto him, but he's acting like he is and deserves to get paid like a number 1. He's not. He just was the benefactor of teams playing their best receivers away from him. Is that typical for #1 CB? For sure. But just because he had the title of our "shutdown" corner doesn't mean he actually is one, regardless of what some random abbreviated stat says.

Pay the man... I'm really tired of watching our guys go elsewhere and we bring in players from outside the organization.  

Tired of not developing guys like Breeland, Fuller, Trent Murphy, etc... And then using more draft picks to fill the holes that get left.  We never get better just more status quo. 

Gotta add players to players. Sign our own first.  Sign Sherrff, J Allen Sign, Wes Martin, Dunbar. I want to see our culture change and it starts with building our own.

22 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

Pay the man... I'm really tired of watching our guys go elsewhere and we bring in players from outside the organization.  

Tired of not developing guys like Breeland, Fuller, Trent Murphy, etc... And then using more draft picks to fill the holes that get left.  We never get better just more status quo. 

Gotta add players to players. Sign our own first.  Sign Sherrff, J Allen Sign, Wes Martin, Dunbar. I want to see our culture change and it starts with building our own.

He’s not connected to the current regime. They didn’t sign and invest in him.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

No it’s cause coaching guys were either covered or wide open it was ridiculous.

I agree pay Dunbar.  Give him good contract not great one.  He is a good professional cb with experience.  That itself justifies it.  

0EE88BEC-1078-4C99-BCDE-3E74922F8B29.jpeg

1 hour ago, lovemaskins said:

Totally agree.  Guy is a baller and we want to not sign him.  If the redskins let him walk and he wins a super bowl that might make me root for another team.  

17 minutes ago, wtfskins said:

Totally agree.  Guy is a baller and we want to not sign him.  If the redskins let him walk and he wins a super bowl that might make me root for another team.  

When he’s 10% of our cap or more and we can’t improve other positions because were paying a decent corner top notch money, you’ll regret that plan.

It all come down to what he wants, right? But to me, it sounds like he wants out. If he wants out, you recoup assets and move on.

Archived