TK

CBSsports.com: Redskins' Derrius Guice wants to silence those labeling him as 'soft', admits 'it's frustrating'

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-derrius-guice-wants-to-silence-those-labeling-him-as-soft-admits-its-frustrating/

Redskins' Derrius Guice wants to silence those labeling him as 'soft', admits 'it's frustrating'

He has a lot to prove in 2020, but it starts with staying on the field

Like more than 100 million others, Derrius Guice was tuned into Super Bowl LIV. He witnessed the San Francisco 49ers make it to Miami on the heels of a historic outing by running back Raheem Mostert, and then Damien Williams help power the Kansas City Chiefs past them to land the team's first Lombardi trophy in five decades. Although it was former league MVP Patrick Mahomes taking home the honor of Super Bowl MVP, there's an argument to be made for Williams having earned the award.

However you slice it, running backs have established they matter, and in big games, and Guice is taking everything he watched in the playoffs to heart. On the heels of the Washington Redskins having again missed the playoffs, the 22-year-old took to Twitter to contemplate what it would feel like to stand on the podium as a league champion.

It worked for Mahomes, after all, and Guice is hoping for the same magic.

I cannot wait to see how it feels to seal the Super Bowl as a running back 😖

He's no stranger to the narrative surrounding him, however, because it's coming from every direction.

The coming 2020 season is pivotal for Guice, to say the least. It's Year three for the former second-round pick of the Washington Redskins, but he's played a total of only five games in his first two seasons. Plagued by injury since entering the NFL in 2018, the 22-year-old missed his entire rookie year with torn ACL suffered in his very first preseason game. He'd return to the field in 2019, but he suffered a torn meniscus in his knee in his opening day debut -- requiring surgery to repair it.

He wouldn't lace up his cleats again until Week 11, but participated in only four games before being placed on injured reserve for the second time in two consecutive seasons, this time with an MCL sprain. All told, the three injuries in a two-year span have many questioning if Guice can remain durable at the NFL level.

"The main thing is getting through games healthy," Guice said, via The Washington Times. "I've been a practice all-American so far. I'm trying to bring that to the field."

His absence forced the Redskins to again lean heavily on future Hall of Fame halfback Adrian Peterson, who finished the year with a solid 898 rushing yards and five rushing touchdowns at the spry age of 34. It's been Peterson carrying the load as the team's workhorse the last two seasons, and while the Redskins are more than thankful for Peterson playing time-defying football, their plan in 2018 was to transition to Guice being the lead back.

Thus far, he has only 245 career rushing yards with three rushing touchdowns on 42 carries. Guice understands it's not rocket science -- the more he stays on the field, the faster he can acclimate to the NFL and the more he can produce for the Redskins. With Ron Rivera now at the helm, and with Guice now on the back half of his contract, becoming the running back the team was hoping he could be when they called him in April 2018 will be paramount. 

This is the same Rivera who drafted and coached up all-world talent Christian McCaffrey, and while no one can justifiably compare Guice to McCaffrey, the point is Rivera will demand availability and top-flight production from his run game. Guice has proven he can produce at the collegiate level from his time at LSU, but his resume is thus far tarnished at the pro level.

Until he can show an ability to stay healthy, not only does he have something to prove to the team, but also those he wants to silence -- i.e., those painting him as being "soft". 

"When it comes to constantly being injured -- knowing how tough you are, but everybody else is looking at you as just soft who can't stay on the field, it's gonna frustrate you," Guice said, before jabbing back at those who have him strapped with the label.

"You just have to realize where you are and realize where they are in a sense," he said. "It's always the people behind you talking the loudest. ...I just gotta keep elevating and moving forward."

Guice can't escape the criticism, be it from some in the media or fans lobbing their takes at his social media accounts, but what he can do is silence it. That's if, and only if, he can finally bury the stigma surrounding his durability in professional football. 

It's time to show and prove in 2020, and he knows it.

I just hope he takes this as a strong challenge rather than staying on the field to avoid the label when he genuinely gets an injury.  Griffin pulled that and it ****ed us up royally (he should've been out of the game vs Seattle as soon as he threw that second touchdown).

I hope Guice proves everyone wrong but doesn't make stupid decisions that derail that process.  Not that he has as far as I know, but you put an NFL player in a position to prove his toughness and that's going to require a crap ton of discipline to make the smart decision if an injury does occur.

• Thanks 1

Guice isn’t soft. He runs with power and force. Good angry running. 

He isn’t soft in any respect He may be fragile. 

• Like 11

It isn't fair to label Guice as "soft".

"Soft" implies that even the smallest, mildest injuries keep Guice out.

The injuries that have kept Guice out were not "soft" injuries. They have been serious knee injuries.

However, it is fair to look at him as injury prone. He suffered injuries in college and now his two years in the NFL.

The article is right. This is a pivotal year for Guice. He has to show he can stay healthy and be the guy for the Redskins rushing attack.

They can't rely on Peterson staying ageless much longer.

Edited by SkinsGuy

42 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Guice isn’t soft. He runs with power and force. Good angry running. 

He isn’t soft in any respect He may be fragile. 

This, all of this.  No body cares how tough he is in sweatpants, but whatever keeps him motivated, whatever I guess.  It's hard for me to say hell be out the league in two years when hes barely been in it his first two.

Guice has been unlucky but IMO he will be a rock star level great RB if he can stay healthy.  Fingers crossed. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39563/redskins-desire-to-add-talent-around-dwayne-haskins-means-big-changes

Running backs coach Randy Jordan, the lone holdover from the previous offensive staff, loves Derrius Guice's talent. One reason Jordan wanted to return was to see Guice realize his potential. But Guice's physical running style has led some to worry that he won't stay healthy -- he's already had three knee injuries in two seasons with Washington. He has never carried the ball more than 10 times in an NFL game, but he was a workhorse in his final season at LSU.

Who are some of the backs that started out like Guice, over two consecutive seasons, and overcame the injury bug and were very successful?

He is definitely not soft.  A bit like a chandelier maybe.  Maybe he should stop trying to run defensive players over, avoid contact when he can and learn to run out of bounds,  Preserve his body and career life with more finesse. I mean the speed and ability is there. Just don't think he is built for all those hits he seems to engage. 

58 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Who are some of the backs that started out like Guice, over two consecutive seasons, and overcame the injury bug and were very successful?

Off the top of my head, a recent example is Dalvin Cook.  He tore his ACL in week 4 of his rookie year after getting off to a hot start.  Then was dealing with a hamstring injury for most of 2018 and put up pedestrian numbers (though he still played most of the season IIRC).  But he was able to stay healthy this past year and was a top 5 RB.  I'm hoping Guice can have a similar trajectory.

Concerning the thread topic... Guice isn't soft.  I'm just not sure his body can hold up to NFL-level punishment with his running style.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

He must be Italian...hail...

I'm half offended

giphy (50).gif

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Off the top of my head, a recent example is Dalvin Cook.  He tore his ACL in week 4 of his rookie year after getting off to a hot start.  Then was dealing with a hamstring injury for most of 2018 and put up pedestrian numbers (though he still played most of the season IIRC).  But he was able to stay healthy this past year and was a top 5 RB.  I'm hoping Guice can have a similar trajectory.

Concerning the thread topic... Guice isn't soft.  I'm just not sure his body can hold up to NFL-level punishment with his running style.

I should have known that after all the Vikings games I have watched this past year and how many times it was brought up by announcers,....lol!   Your absolutely right.   

No he is definitely not soft. But don't you think he can work on that plow them over mentality. I mean surely he can't be the only RB that has had to change his style a bit to prolong their career no?

Edited by skinsmania123

I'd still get a RB. You can't trust him not to suffer a third straight season ending injury.  If that happens, reach an injury settlement and move on.

• Like 1

Has anyone actually called him soft and I’ve missed it somewhere? He can’t seem to stay healthy, but that’s not a matter of his attitude. 

I've never seen anyone say he was soft.

This is a non sense narrative.

Glad he's using it as fuel regardless.

• Like 2

Don't think anyone who makes to the NFL can be called "soft".

Even Deon Sanders, whom actively avoided contact and was very public about it, was not soft.

Guice has had terrible luck.

But honestly, his attitude in social media has not helped him one bit. He's a talker, a joker.

Unfortunately for him, his work on the field hasn't really backed-up his social media buffoonery.

Like many of you I love DG! And I hope he can play a full season next year. but let’s face it we can’t count on that until he does it. 

I am interested to see how Love is coming along. If he shows he is recovered then we keep AP for one more year and go into the season with those 3 along with drafting a late round RB or keep one of the holdovers. 

Well, DG, people talk. That's what they do. Your job isn't to prove them wrong, and it's pointless stressing yourself over public declarations. Put yourself in the best position to stay healthy and productive, then everything else will fall into place as they will.

Instead of ploughing his career into the ground moving forward, we should invest in a more durable back and use DG as a #2 back, not sure if AP is that solution or not.

I’d rather get lesser but valuable production from DG over the short/medium term rather than end his career unnecessarily early. 

I don't think Guice is soft, he's just had some unfortunate injuries. I may be talking out of my ass here, but I think part of the reason is his running style, how his body is built. He seems to run really upright and gets contorted into some awkward hits/tackles as a result.

Take a look at guys like Elliot, he's got that hunched over low center of gravity style and he never gets his lower half injured. Same with Saquon, except he did have the high ankle when he got nailed right on the leg when the ball arrived.

Guice seems to have been hi/lowed every time he was hurt. Maybe his strength and running style have something to do with it in combination.. the first guy can't get him down and the calvary arrives and nails him low while the other guy is wrestling up high.. game over.

Edited by crabbypatty

I would actually like to see him avoid some of the extra contact and be a little more soft tbh. Dude is amazing when healthy but I have seen him get injured for an extra 3 yards at the end of a 40 yard run that ended out of bounds anyway. Yes I like seeing him run over cats but when they go low to tackle him when he could have ran out of bounds it makes me worry for the dude. Go out of bounds more. Play more. Get more TDs. I know thats alot to ask though. Especially when you are running behind AP who may have never avoided contact in his career. 

He just has to keep chopping wood. Put his head down and work. The injuries should eventually dissipate, we hope! He’s had a little bad luck to start his career, keep plugging away young fella!

Frank Gore is one that comes to mind. No One and I mean no one saw his career coming after his Back to Back knee tears in College. And he fractured his hip 3 years into his NFL career. Guide can get past these speed bumps.....

• Like 1

Young guy, huge expectations, injured right out of the gate in Yr 1, comes back on a team in turmoil, tries too hard, gets ghanked again..........how is that soft?

He's not the only one that tried to do too much on a team doing too little, let's see what happens on a squad coached daily to do your job, just stay focused and don't try to do it all.

I like this kid, I really want to see him succeed and I think he is one that will definitely benefit from the new regime.