Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vernon Davis retires - announces it in TV sketch spot with Gronk

MartinC

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Glad to see him go out on his own - of course he may have been told he would be released. At least this way no one but him and the team really know.

He had a very good career. I wish him the best. Work on that golf game!  🙂  

His contract was up. Releasing him wasn't necessary. 

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

His contract was up. Releasing him wasn't necessary. 

Ok then that they were not interested in resigned him. Point is the same - they let him know he was not in their plans for next year. So instead of looking for another team he retired. 

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Ok then that they were not interested in resigned him. Point is the same - they let him know he was not in their plans for next year. So instead of looking for another team he retired. 

Team have not finished the self scout or set their keep/release list. Rivera said those meetings start Feb 10.

Its not impossible conversations have taken place with some players - but I think it’s far more likely Vernon just knew it was time.

Agree with the sentiments above - it probably was the right time, dude had a good career and I enjoyed seeing him as a Redskin. He comes across as a decent guy and hopefully he'll get to enjoy his retirement. Can easily see him picking up media spots in the future if he wants to.

We kept him too long.  Should have had a new tight end in here because of Reed.  He had stopped blocking and just wanted to catch passes.

He was a number 2 tight end.  If we had new tight end last year then he would be starting his second year this season.  Hope we can get

Panther's tight end, Olson for a one year deal then draft a young tight end this year.

Good guy and a good player for us before his body started breaking down. Reality is Skins HAVE to make finding a TE a priority. I see all these no name TEs on other teams come out of nowhere and do better than ok. 

1. Skins need to give more opportunities to the younger guys

2. need to find a TE that is good at both blocking and catching.. catching only TE is a liability in the run game.

3. stop getting retreads... TE is a heavily used role on the field in blocking/ catching and you see majority of TEs bodies start breaking down after 30. Bringing Olsen as the main TE option means expecting that he will only be on the field roughly 40% of the time.

13 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Good guy and a good player for us before his body started breaking down. Reality is Skins HAVE to make finding a TE a priority. I see all these no name TEs on other teams come out of nowhere and do better than ok. 

2. need to find a TE that is good at both blocking and catching.. catching only TE is a liability in the run game.

3. stop getting retreads... TE is a heavily used role on the field in blocking/ catching and you see majority of TEs bodies start breaking down after 30. Bringing Olsen as the main TE option means expecting that he will only be on the field roughly 40% of the time.

Hentges ticks all of those boxes.

I think he could turn out to be something for us, to be honest.

Awesome career, and awesome veteran presence and solid numbers as a #2 tight end here in DC.  Man I thought his TD vs the Eagles was going to be a sign for something awesome last year.  But oh well.  Still one of the best individual efforts by a Skins player in recent memory.

Enjoy retirement and knowing you play 14 years of elite football!

17 hours ago, c slag said:

How about the play Vernon made in week one at philly where he jumps over a would be tackler on his way to the endzone for a touchdown 

That and Mclaurins deep TD was probably the happiest moment I had this past season. After that half the season was over. 

On 2/3/2020 at 6:29 AM, oraphus said:

I like this post a lot and it agrees with my thinking going into FA. My top three right now are

1. Hentges

2. Caleb Wilson

3. Sprinkle

Anybody we bring in would obviously bring competition at the spot and give us an opportunity to upgrade but I think Hentges showed he can improve in this offense. Sprinkle showed he can get open almost  all season but couldn't bring the ball in. Wilson was a guy with a nice resume in college who could offer value as a 7th rounder. 

I don't think Callahan liked Wilson's blocking profile, but I'm curious about Kyle Smith's opinion of him because I'd guess that's who said to sign him. I think he has a chance to be a steal in terms of receiving TE who can become a threat. I don't want to discount him. 

Sprinkle is in what year 3 or 4 of his rookie deal so I'm not so attached to him. But the question is do we bring in two TEs? Doing so would almost certainly mean that both Sprinkle and Wilson are gone. Wilson can probably be a PS player though. But I would like to see Hentges continue to develop as our TE. I like him more as a number 2 though. And that leaves the possibility as Wilson as our number 1. 

Put him on the training staff.

The man really knows how to take care of an athlete's body. Him and Kerrigan.

Despite both of them going down last year.

Both were amazing up until that point, in that department.

Perhaps their injuries in 2019, was just their age inevitably catching up to them.

Also, you'll find tons of stuff just like this VD video

• 2 weeks later...

Archived