Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Greg Olsen potentially signing here? (M.E.T.)

bakedtater1

I think you got to pay Olsen more than the vet minimum.  I think he's a good player and the leadership end of it is a bonus.  I do think this team could use some leader types in the locker room.    And the TE position right now is arguably our weakest position or at least in the running with CB as being a big problem. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-will-host-free-agent-tight-end-greg-olsen-visit-reports

Rivera is also very focused on developing a winning culture in Washington. Olsen could help set the tone.

The three-time Pro Bowl tight end also has a visit planned with the Buffalo Bills, and it's worth noting he will get significant interest from television networks as a football broadcaster.

Olsen has options. Looks like the Redskins are one of them.

I don't want us to over pay for him, considering his injury history the last three seasons.  But he did play in 14 games last season and had almost 600 yards receiving (597) and two TDs.  But the stat I like most is his yards per reception which was 11.5 yards. 

Also, he had a back-up QB throwing to him for 12 of the 14 games he played in.  Week 2, with Cam playing he put up 6 receptions on 9 targets for 110 yards receiving with 18.33 yards per reception.  Guy can still ball.

I personally think Reed is done, if not, he should be, imo.  Vernon retired.  In comparison, Sprinkle was at 241 yards, 1 TD and 9.3 yards/reception.  I think adding Olsen is fine as long as we either draft another TE or sign another in FA, as long as we don't over pay him.  

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm honestly shocked you dont and starting to think you only come on this board to argue. 

We're coming off a 3-13 season and struggled on both sides of the ball. We lost all six division game and have won a grand total of 3 divisional games in the last three years. I think the potential is there and if things clicked on all cylinders then sure anything can happen. But right now outside of Terry, DH and Guice i'm not confident that anyone else from our skill positions will be anything more than JAGs. Don't get me wrong, I really really like Harmon and Sims and see good things potentially happening. Same with Love - he was a burner in college and could be a dominant factor, but until we see something then who knows? Until there's a reason to believe they're ready to compete i'm not really planning any parade routes. Every other team in our division has shown glimpses of what they're capable of... yes even the giants. 

I have no doubt we'll be good again, but I don't think next year is the year. Maybe I'm wrong?

41 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

We're coming off a 3-13 season and struggled on both sides of the ball. We lost all six division game and have won a grand total of 3 divisional games in the last three years. I think the potential is there and if things clicked on all cylinders then sure anything can happen. But right now outside of Terry, DH and Guice i'm not confident that anyone else from our skill positions will be anything more than JAGs. Don't get me wrong, I really really like Harmon and Sims and see good things potentially happening. Same with Love - he was a burner in college and could be a dominant factor, but until we see something then who knows? Until there's a reason to believe they're ready to compete i'm not really planning any parade routes. Every other team in our division has shown glimpses of what they're capable of... yes even the giants. 

I have no doubt we'll be good again, but I don't think next year is the year. Maybe I'm wrong?

You're finally admitting Guise might be injury prone. That's great. Ols

51 minutes ago, skeenzfan said:

None of these veteran players will be here in 2 years when the team is hopefully ready to compete for a playoff spot. Olsen already has one foot out of the door with his TV gig. Rather sign/draft younger players. 

I don't understand why people think we can't have both. If we sign Olsen, he'll serve as a bridge option until the rookie is ready. 

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You're finally admitting Guise might be injury prone. That's great. Ols

I mean I didn’t say anything close to that but until he can be healthy for a long period of time, sure, I have no problem saying that at this point he seems injury-prone.

50 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Sign Olsen

Draft a TE in the fourth round 

Heyyyy that's what the op said..lol.  great minds think a like.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, Rufus T Firefly said:

Really? He didn't sign an older, retread coach and give him apparent full control over the personnel department? Because my immediate assumption when that happened is what we would get would not be the smart completion of a minor rebuild but a "win now" bid for mediocrity, of the sort that would be typified by signing Greg Olsen types and trying to get Trent Williams to stick around for the overpaid decline phase of his career. 

But Dan didn't know that's what he was signing up for? Fascinating. 

How do you live season in season out such a negative nancy?

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m taking or even jumping back into the second round for an impact defensive player to add to the LB core, assuming Young is the pick at #2 

Giving Haskins a safety blanket is more important, imo, we can sign a linebacker or take the L on fully addressing the linebacker situation.  We trying to develop Haskins though, except Scary Terry tonget doubled a lot next season.

I think that signing Olsen could be a good move, if at the right price. TE was a major weakness last year and it needs to be addressed. He also already knows RRs system, so his presence in the locker room can only be a positive.

As others have said, I want us to draft a mid-round rookie also.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:49 AM, bakedtater1 said:

Might as well get a leg up...he'll make an excellent addition to experienced vets along with Peterson to help the team succeed. Vernon Davis is released and reed retires..a tight end in the 4th...olsen,henteges and rookie rounds out our tight ends group going into 2020..maybe reed try's another go.

I'm fine with everything you said except for Reed.  I want him to retire for his own sake.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm fine with everything you said except for Reed.  I want him to retire for his own sake.

I just posted something about this... if he's got the okay to do so and he wants to then I'm all for it.. should I feel selfish for him sacrificing his body for my entertainment purposes? No not at all.. he's a growd ass man that knows what's best..if its retiring than good on him 

11 hours ago, primetime441 said:

I don't understand why people think we can't have both. If we sign Olsen, he'll serve as a bridge option until the rookie is ready. 

Next season is a 'bridge' season per say to get us to the following season where we can hope to compete for NFC East. During that time, I rather see someone drafted get the snaps and claim the job. Olsen is not coming here to be backup and without reasonable snaps and game time experience we are not going to get any rookie ready. 

My ideal scenario: 

I would love to get him...... as our #2.

Obviously he would fit in, since he knows Coach Ron.   But at his age, we may not be able to count on him as our #1.

But what if we can get a boneafied top tier #1, via draft, FA or trade, to go along with him?  All of a sudden Haskins will have speed in Scary Terry and Simms with power mismatches in TE1 and Olsen  :droolface:

I am not opposed to signing Olsen, but it should be for a role similar to what Vernon Davis's role was intended to be when he was first signed.  A veteran backup with experience and leadership skills that still has some gas left in the tank to contribute, but not anchor the position. 

31 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am not opposed to signing Olsen, but it should be for a role similar to what Vernon Davis's role was intended to be when he was first signed.  A veteran backup with experience and leadership skills that still has some gas left in the tank to contribute, but not anchor the position. 

And we can make that happen IMO.  There are a lot of TE's hitting the FA market.  Plus I can see Rudolph being a cap casuality.

Jacob Hollister (RFA), TE, Seahawks. Age: 26.
Eric Ebron, TE, Colts. Age: 27.
Blake Jarwin, TE, Cowboys. Age: 26.
Greg Olsen, TE, Panthers. Age: 35.
Jason Witten, TE, Cowboys. Age: 38.
Tyler Eifert, TE, Bengals. Age: 29.
Nick Vannett, TE, Steelers. Age: 27.
Marcedes Lewis, TE, Packers. Age: 36.
Blake Bell, TE, Chiefs. Age: 29.
Charles Clay, TE, Cardinals. Age: 31.
Dan Arnold (RFA), TE, Cardinals. Age: 25.
Seth DeValve, TE, Jaguars. Age: 27.
Nick O'Leary, TE, Jaguars. Age: 28.
Ricky Seals-Jones (RFA), TE, Browns. Age: 25.
Luke Willson, TE, Seahawks. Age: 30.
Levine Toilolo, TE, 49ers. Age: 29.
MyCole Pruitt, TE, Titans. Age: 28.
Logan Thomas, TE, Lions. Age: 29.
Daniel Brown, TE, Jets. Age: 28.
Clive Walford, TE, Dolphins. Age: 28.
Sean Culkin (RFA), TE, Chargers. Age: 27.
Scott Simonson, TE, Giants. Age: 28.
Garrett Celek, TE, 49ers. Age: 32.
Darrell Daniels, TE, Cardinals. Age: 25.
Ross Travis, TE, Jets. Age: 27.
Anthony Auclair, TE, Buccaneers. Age: 27.
David Morgan, TE, Vikings. Age: 27.
Bradley Powell, TE, Bears. Age: 31.

Archived