bakedtater1

Thoughts on Greg Olsen potentially signing here? (M.E.T.)

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Huh?

I think he means he's at the point in his career where he's running on fumes. Not much left in the tank.

I don’t care about Greg Olson.  He’s old as dirt.  But it’s unbelievable that Beshaud Breeland & Kendall Fuller both had INT’s in the SB.  **** BRUCE ALLEN!!!!!! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I said this in another thread....sign him and let him preach RR's message in the clubhouse and on the field....coach on the field. Then, sign another free agent TE and let Olsen's experience/leadership bleed all over this team. Bringing in winners can only help teams that need to learn how to win. Olsen is a perfect addition at a position of need, juiced to get him if we do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Can we stop the welcome threads unless the player actually is signed?  No issue with a thread to discuss the possibility but it we all started threads based on who we want with welcome to. Then there will soon be 100s.  It would be nice to reserve the welcome threads to players who are actually here.    

Obviously not up to me but Really do not like these thread titles for players not on the team.  

I agree 100%. The Chase Young one is just ridiculous.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Absolutely not. It would be an absurdly ridiculous signing. 

Honestly, it would depend on the cost for me. If he's cheap then he brings a vet presence and leadership and can still make the occasional play and could be a short term stopgap. But if he wants big money then no way. He can just retire and do commentary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

What did Witten bring to the Cowboys this season? Olsen is done. Not worth a roster spot.

If he's cheap and he shows up and sucks then we release him and it costs us little. Not like we have a stacked TE roster at the moment anyway. I'm not positive that Reed will ever play again with the number of concussions he's had. We could try to trade him but he'd probably not net us much but a 6th or 7th rounder with his injury history. Vernon Davis is retiring. So right now we have, what...Sprinkle and Hentges? I wouldn't see the harm in kicking the tires on the cheap. 

10 hours ago, NickyJ said:

If Snyder hires someone who's held a single NFL head coaching job in his entire career, he's obviously - *shuffles deck* - hiring a quick fix and expects to be in the Super Bowl the following year. If Snyder hires someone who's never held a single NFL head coaching job in his entire career, he's obviously.... *shuffles deck* .... never learned because he did that with Gruden, Zorn, and Spurrier and all of them failed.

If we go into next year with Reed and Davis at TE, the team is stupid for - *shuffles deck* - holding onto unreliable and injured players. If we go into next year with Sprinkle and Hentges at TE, the team is stupid for - *shuffles deck* - expecting mediocre players to be good outlets for a young QB to rely on. If we draft two new TEs, the team is stupid for - *shuffles deck* - not filling more pressing holes on the team. If we hire an experienced TE to hold down the job for a year or two, the team is stupid for - *shuffles deck* - trying to win because that one veteran TE means they're mortgaging the future.

You are fun at parties.

keep-calm-and-knock-it-out-of-the-park-8

Assuming Olsen doesn't retire and assuming he actually picks the Redskins over other options (which is probably pretty low that all the foregoing comes true), I think this ends up being much ado about nothing. Olsen was a big name. He's not anymore. He's injury prone and mediocre at best. Maybe you can coax a late career Vernon Davis type season out of Olsen, but that's hardly super exciting. And that's the upside. Rivera would probably view him as more of a quasi-coach at this point than anything. And maybe that has value, though it's difficult to quantify. But Olsen really shouldn't be Plan A on who will start in 2020. He's a depth signing

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Huh?

I wasn't referring to him personally.  I am not a fan of the idea of signing him at this stage of his career.  Sorry for any confusion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Assuming Olsen doesn't retire and assuming he actually picks the Redskins over other options (which is probably pretty low that all the foregoing comes true), I think this ends up being much ado about nothing. Olsen was a big name. He's not anymore. He's injury prone and mediocre at best. Maybe you can coax a late career Vernon Davis type season out of Olsen, but that's hardly super exciting. And that's the upside. Rivera would probably view him as more of a quasi-coach at this point than anything. And maybe that has value, though it's difficult to quantify. But Olsen really shouldn't be Plan A on who will start in 2020. He's a depth signing

See I disagree about him not being a big name anymore. The injuries are a concern but when he was healthy he looked like he could still take over games.

8 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I said this in another thread....sign him and let him preach RR's message in the clubhouse and on the field....coach on the field. Then, sign another free agent TE and let Olsen's experience/leadership bleed all over this team. Bringing in winners can only help teams that need to learn how to win. Olsen is a perfect addition at a position of need, juiced to get him if we do.

I believe this would be good for the locker room.  Olsen is very professional and knows the offense.

18 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Really? He didn't sign an older, retread coach and give him apparent full control over the personnel department? Because my immediate assumption when that happened is what we would get would not be the smart completion of a minor rebuild but a "win now" bid for mediocrity, of the sort that would be typified by signing Greg Olsen types and trying to get Trent Williams to stick around for the overpaid decline phase of his career. 

But Dan didn't know that's what he was signing up for? Fascinating. 

Hmm - you are one of the few people that appears to be down on the Rivera signing (& that includes fans, fans of other teams, other players,, other coaches & media).  I would not label Rivera as simply a retread - he only coached one team & had a fair amt of success.   Also - given the makeup of this team - I believe that he is just the type of coach that is needed at this time.  IMO a young, inexperienced coach would just be another puppet & also not really prepared to run an organization (& until we see otherwise I am good with this whole coach centric philosophy - certainly better then how it was run in the past w/ Allen).

I also don't really see any signs of this being a "win now" type team. Sure Rivera has stated that he wants to start improving rt away, but I don't see them just making moves for the upcoming season - there is plenty of youth on this team & Rivera has shown no indication that he will tear that down in the name of vets.  Lastly - what exactly is your pt about Williams?  Are you stating that regardless you want them to move on from him?  If he has anything left in the tank then he is easily their best O lineman so why not get a few more good years out of him?  I am fine whether they keep him or move on from him.

• Like 2

He's on the wrong side so Olsen meh ok on a cheap contract only, to be a vet mentor...

He can be this years Vernon Davis. I would rather go Hunter Henry and Antonio Gates.

giphy.gif

Edited by RandyHolt

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

See I disagree about him not being a big name anymore. The injuries are a concern but when he was healthy he looked like he could still take over games.

He hasn't taken over games since 2016. Even if you pro-rate his stats on a per game basis, you have to go back to 2016 for that impact. If you think that Olsen is still around, you kind of have to ignore the last 3 years and hope he returns to form. i certainly wouldn't pay much to hope that happens

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

He's on the wrong side so Olsen meh ok on a cheap contract only, to be a vet mentor...

He can be this years Vernon Davis. I would rather go Hunter Henry and Antonio Gates.

Didn't Gates start playing in the 90's?...now talk about old 

• Haha 1

Recently heard Olson on "The Herd". He is way too smart to sign with the Snyderskins even if his old coach would be his new coach.  Not no way, not no how.

This is a huge culture change move. It's Captain Ron putting his first mate in the locker room.

Turner has a heavy TE offense and Olsen knows it better than anyone. It's a great signing even if he plays zero games as long as he can teach the other TEs the offense and the position. 

Sprinkle, Hentges, draft pick, whatever. Who better to teach the TE position, a position which is quickly reemerging as one of thee most important positions.

• Like 4

I don't know if it was just me but it sure seemed like Jay tried to game plan around Sprinkle, an awful awful lot. At least, early in games.

TE is an important position, and we need help. I am sure we will bring back Jordan Reed Hentsie and Sprinkle, but do we want a TE nabbed in the draft.  I know BPA blah blah but when the position is neglected long enough, eventually it must be prioritized on draft day.

All in on Hunter Henry may be the best route to run. 

Edited by RandyHolt

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sprinkle, Hentges, draft pick, whatever. Who better to teach the TE position, a position which is quickly reemerging as one of thee most important positions.

And therein lies the rub. If Olsen is here and occupies a roster spot, how many TEs are you going to keep on the roster? Assume the usual 3 spots. You Have Olsen, Hentges, and a draft pick so we have someone for him to actually coach and  truly develop. Is that the TE lineup we want to trot onto the field every Sunday?   Then there is the potential addition of adding a FB to the roster, so maybe turn the that into a FB/TE/HB hybrid thing?  I do think it would be nice to have Olsens leadership in the clubhouse. But with a 53 man roster, every spot is valuable. (btw, I'm OK with signing him, but every rose also has a thorn.)

Edited by bowhunter

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

And therein lies the rub. If Olsen is here and occupies a roster spot, how many TEs are you going to keep on the roster? Assume the usual 3 spots. You Have Olsen, Hentges, and a draft pick so we have someone for him to actually coach and  truly develop. Is that the TE lineup we want to trot onto the field every Sunday?   Then there is the potential addition of adding a FB to the roster, so maybe turn the that into a FB/TE/HB hybrid thing?  I do think it would be nice to have Olsens leadership in the clubhouse. But with a 53 man roster, every spot is valuable. (btw, I'm OK with signing him, but every rose also has a thorn.)

With the RB and TE issues we've had the last several years, finding a roster spot is the least of our concern.  :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1