Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

21 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Have you considered placing a box that's seemingly too small for a cat on the floor?  I'm sure one will climb in just to prove geometry wrong.

Nope, but this is what Sabrina is doing now...she'll chase pucks too.

20221211_174053.jpg

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/7/2022 at 8:35 AM, EmirOfShmo said:

Had an awesome dinner at Officina at The Wharf on Saturday. Thanks for the recommendation, @PleaseBlitz. The rooftop fire pits are money. Overall, a good 48+ hours in DC: saw the changing of the guards at Arlington Cemetery, Boat Parade on the Potomac, Old Ebbitt Grill, A Christmas Carol at Ford's Theater and lunch at Chang Chang. Going to start making plans for a return trip to see the cherry blossoms in April.

1.  Going to need way more details sir. What did you order, what was your favorite, etc.  How was Chang Chang, did you spring for the Poseidon at Old Ebbit…..moar details. 

2.  More Wharf fun, with smores!

BC063003-1D36-4EB0-9BA5-8C334B71C14C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

1.  Going to need way more details sir. What did you order, what was your favorite, etc.  How was Chang Chang, did you spring for the Poseidon at Old Ebbit…..moar details. 

2.  More Wharf fun, with smores!

We originally reserved a fire pit on the rooftop. Apparently, they had a high roller reserve the entire top floor at the last minute (or after I had reserved it.) A week before our reservation, they made me an offer to give it up, which I gladly accepted. We ended up with a corner table on the second floor facing the Potomac. Also had a special invite to the rooftop for comped rounds of drinks prior to dinner to make up for the fire pit cancellation. Hindsight: The firepits are mainly for drinking & snacks, not for full-service meals but they are incredible. We walked around for a bit before heading downstairs for dinner. *Note: they add 20% gratuity to all bills.

The meal started with the affettati misti – Speck, Prosciutto, Mortedello, Gorgonzola Dolce & Moliterno al Tartufo. Main courses: Raviolo di Aragosta, Saltimbocca di Pollo, Tortelloni di Zucca & Branzino. All of them were incredible.

The boat parade & fireworks that evening were both a lot of fun to see. Last year we sat on the Hyatt rooftop. I think next year we'll go back to doing that - saving seats near the front and getting carryout at either the Gordon Ramsey fish & chips restaurant (which peeps said was awesome) or carryout from his Hell's Kitchen restaurant when it opens or from Hank's Oyster bar (which we hit up for brunch on Sunday). The hotel has a great view of the river & fireworks. 

Saltimbocca di Pollo & Tortelloni di Zucca

image.png.bd6c577d61899a9dbd1cfd6d3f0554a0.png

image.png.6430e7cb57203b55d642eeb02f3c5f89.png

Sunday, we walked to Old Ebbitt after watching the matinee performance of ‘A Christmas Carol’ at Ford’s Theater (a place I have never seen in all my years in DC). We had front row balcony seats right next to the booth where Lincoln was shot. Awesome show & experience.

Old Ebbitt: mussels, 1 dozen oysters (3 each of 4 different kind), 2 peeps got the crabcakes, lobster fra diavolo bucatini & the scallops. What’s there to say? Old Ebbitt doing it’s thing to make great food.

Chang Chang is very much like both Peter Chang locations in RVA. They do have a Dim Sum brunch on Saturday & Sunday that looked good (we went Monday for lunch). We had: crispy duck roll, hot & sour chili wonton, salt & pepper baby shrimp, eggplant with spicy garlic sauce, wuxi sweet & sour chicken & three pepper beef. Nobody was disappointed. We are always happy to get an opportunity to eat at a Peter Chang restaurant.  

On a side note: as part of the Virginia Wine Expo, there’s a special dinner at the Peter Chang restaurant in RVA in February. We went pre-pandemic & it was incredible. The restaurant seats about 45 peeps & Peter Chang orchestrates the kitchen for the event. Looking forward to hitting it up in 2023.

Bonus pic - largest yacht I've ever seen (Marshall Island flag):

image.png.88d7fa86acaeb4955fafb43994fb5323.png

edit...and one more thing: hit up rooftop bar at Hotel Washington before going to Old Ebbitt...

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

We took the Amtrak to DC yesterday to see the National Christmas Tree and do some drinking.  I was very unimpressed by the tree.

Yeah, it's nothing like it used to be. The trees used to be huge. Even the individual State trees aren't very good. We went last year and decided it's not worth going back to see. 

43 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Yeah, it's nothing like it used to be. The trees used to be huge. Even the individual State trees aren't very good. We went last year and decided it's not worth going back to see. 

The Maryland tree was done by my high school (Calvert High) so that was cool but overall, I thought it was all a let down.

• Thumb up 1

52 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

When did The Almighty Buzz demote back down into @TheGreatBuzz?

21 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Had to be recently. There was a stretch where he was The Annoying Buzz which was pretty damn funny. Ah the price one pays for normalcy. 

I asked TK to switch me back a few weeks ago.  It just didn't feel right.  I've been TGB since I was a kid.  But, as noted, I had to pay a price.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Had to be recently. There was a stretch where he was The Annoying Buzz which was pretty damn funny. Ah the price one pays for normalcy. 

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I asked TK to switch me back a few weeks ago.  It just didn't feel right.  I've been TGB since I was a kid.  But, as noted, I had to pay a price.

I must have glossed right over The Annoying Buzz .  Seen Almighty enough that I guess I see Buzz Lightyear and my brain was all "yup, I know what that name says; move along."

• Haha 3