Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm disturbed that our plan to help save the environment by eliminating plastic bags is being openly negated by cutting down more trees to make more paper bags.

What are we doing here, folks?

Trees are a renewable resource. They should do this and add a 10-15cent bag tax like they got in DC.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

36 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

*Amazon Rain Forest has entered the chat

The Amazon rainforest isnt being used as a renewable resource.  Its being clear cut for agriculture...mostly cattle and soy for cattle feed.  So its not directly related to the paper deforestation issue...the trees are permanently removed rather than being utilized as a resource.  The latter accounts for 15% or so of world wide deforrestation while agriculture accounts for 75% or so.

If you are worried about the Amazon, stop eating beef.

• Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

The Amazon rainforest isnt being used as a renewable resource.  Its being clear cut for agriculture...mostly cattle and soy for cattle feed.  So its not directly related to the paper deforestation issue...the trees are permanently removed rather than being utilized as a resource.  The latter accounts for 15% or so of world wide deforrestation while agriculture accounts for 75% or so.

If you are worried about the Amazon, stop eating beef.

Missing the forest for the trees on the original point...

We shouldn't be shifting to paper bags made from trees for several reasons.  While trees can be replanted and regrow, we haven't been doing that at a rate that even comes close to how many we are cutting down.

There are also parts of the Amazon that are in danger of collapsing from an ecosystem perspective because of the damage already do.  Why bringing up trees as a renewable resource as in many cases may be too late here, that Amazon isn't being torn down specifically for paper bags is missing the point even further.

We are better off making paper bags out of hemp, that grows way faster and far better candidate for mass agriculture.

Overall, shifting to paper bags to limit plastic ones jus feel like shifting that problem on our way to failing to avoid 1.5.

Edited by Renegade7

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

*Amazon Rain Forest has entered the chat

the issue in the Amazon Rain Forest is deforestation.  But we aren't making paper bags out of trees cut down in the Amazon rain forest, anyway.

To your argument, hemp paper bags aren’t plastic bags 🤔

Claiming that shifting away from plastic bags will cause deforestation (as you have done) is an erroneous claim.

And as I said in my post, shifting away from plastic is a good idea, but we should also reduce our usage of disposable bags in general, hence my recommendation we place a tax on them.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Go take your socio-political environmental debates somewhere other than the RTT FFS.  I'm here to hear about @PleaseBlitz's alcohol consumption,  @TradeTheBeal!'s weekend exploits in Houston and whatever conscious level the brother @Chewis on.  Take your paper or plastic debate elsewhere, is nothing sacred anymore?

The Four Seasons pulled out the lobby Christmas decorations overnight. Simply delightful.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Running away on the roof tops after a successful assassination in a video game will be fine with me.  Real life?  That's some ridiculous ****.

I can fully appreciate the incredible skill sets that people have… without having any desire whatsoever to mimic. 

Some people are addicted to thrill seeking (danger). I don’t enjoy living life on the edge (of death).

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

I can fully appreciate the incredible skill sets that people have… without having any desire whatsoever to mimic. 

Some people are addicted to thrill seeking (danger). I don’t enjoy living life on the edge (of death).

No doubt.  When I was eleven I used to run home from school hurdling fences cutting through people's back yards and that didn't look so different from these guys.  On the ground. 

Did a few, what I'd refer to now as stupid, dangerous things in my teens and twenties.  Cliff diving at the lake, driving my motorcycle too fast etc. But my appetite for anything other VR thrill seeking is long gone. I get serious vertigo looking off a ledge in Uncharted for heavens sake. 

I do acknowledge the athleticism and daring that these guys have.  Impressively crazy.

• Like 3

I've had to do an unreasonable amount of research on brain development related to risk taking, and it turns out that the part of the human brain that tells you not to do risky things is usually not fully developed until around age 25.  So I look at these people and think they are in real danger until their dorsolateral prefrontal cortex myelineates. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24173194

https://www.dana.org/article/when-is-the-brain-mature/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Must have been a crazy day, seeing all that ugliness go down

Yeah, it was. I remember walking home from school with my 2 older brothers and 5-6 other kids from our block. Then changing our clothes & going out to play with the other neighborhood kids. All of us commented on seeing our moms crying & watching tv. 

And this in the era when we were hiding under our desks during the monthly air raid test.

1 minute ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Particularly poignant to Catholics at the time, I would imagine.

Indeed.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I've had to do an unreasonable amount of research on brain development related to risk taking, and it turns out that the part of the human brain that tells you not to do risky things is usually not fully developed until around age 25.  So I look at these people and think they are in real danger until their dorsolateral prefrontal cortex myelineates. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24173194

https://www.dana.org/article/when-is-the-brain-mature/

Insurance companies have known that for a long time in terms of drivers.  And some rental car companies also don't rent to below 25.

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

59 years ago today, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. I still remember seeing my 1st grade teacher (a nun) break down in tears after the principal came to our classroom to tell her. 

My closest corollary was my teacher rolling a TV into my 2nd grade classroom so we could all watch a teacher go into space. 

• Sad 2
  • Thumb up 4