Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

Theory about why there are no time travelers.  Anyone that managed to create a time travel device would invariably want to see a dinosaur.   This desire is irresistible.  Anyone that traveled to the time of the dinosaurs, and had a look around, would be eaten immediately.  And so, no time travelers. 

thank you.

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I don't know, I have a feeling they probably went back in time to see if they could get with Cleopatra or Helen of Troy and ended up getting beheaded

I think they’d do that and be disappointed with those almost certainly hairy women (by todays standards).  They’d mostly escape, because ancient man was greedy and superstitious.  So they’d go looking for a can’t miss thrill.  Something truly amazing. How long before they think “why not see a dinosaur?  I deserve this!”  

And as soon as they step out and move around in a world full of giant predators sensitive to movement, they died.  

I imagine the ancient world is littered with abandoned time machines.  Each one a monument to the inevitable fate of time travelers.  

4 hours ago, Destino said:

Theory about why there are no time travelers.  Anyone that managed to create a time travel device would invariably want to see a dinosaur.   This desire is irresistible.  Anyone that traveled to the time of the dinosaurs, and had a look around, would be eaten immediately.  And so, no time travelers. 

thank you.

One of my favorite theories is that as part of going back in time, you have to return to the same point where you left, making it so you sort of never left in the first place.

Stephen Hawkings once threw a secret party for time travels that he only sent out invitations to AFTER the party was over to see if any time traveler came.  Per him, no one did.

I've always wondered if someone did show up and told him it'd be like they never had this conversation when they left, and what his reaction would be.

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Stephen Hawkings once threw a secret party for time travels that he only sent out invitations to AFTER the party was over to see if any time traveler came.  Per him, no one did.

I've always wondered if someone did show up and told him it'd be like they never had this conversation when they left, and what his reaction would be.

If you had all of earths history within reach, would you go to Stephen Hawkings party?  Safe bet no one showed.

Only way to find a time traveler is at truly historic moments.  The problem is, those can’t usually be predicted.  So you’d either have to throw a party so amazing that people a hundred years from now are still amazed by it.  Something like Woodstock.  Or you’d have to kill someone important, and watch for the guy smiling.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

If you had all of earths history within reach, would you go to Stephen Hawkings party?  Safe bet no one showed.

This is fair :ols:

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

Only way to find a time traveler is at truly historic moments.  The problem is, those can’t usually be predicted.  So you’d either have to throw a party so amazing that people a hundred years from now are still amazed by it.  Something like Woodstock.  Or you’d have to kill someone important, and watch for the guy smiling.  

This (the butterfly effect) and the unfathomable amount of negative energy (which we've yet to prove exists) needed to keep a wormhole open are two of the biggest reasons I don't believe time travel to the past will happen.  

The later makes the endeavor nearly impossible, but the risk of changes to earth's history is so high and unpredictable, it could prevent the births of the people who did say kill Hitler (which is probably why no one has yet).

Nah, time travelers may want to have as little impact as possible, which can only be resolved by not doing it in the first place.  There's a short story by Ray Bradbury about this where there was a specific path set up for hunting a dinosaur that was going to die anyway, but someone screwed up and stepped on a butterfly and the impact when they got back was impossible to miss.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

but someone screwed up and stepped on a butterfly and the impact when they got back was impossible to miss.

That's what I believe.  You go back in time, the air moves due to your presence...weather is changed...history is changed.  Someone glances at you, has to step out of your way, says something to you...anything seemingly trivial. The impact on history would snowball in to something different than what we know it to be.  To the point where the people we know wouldn't have been born because of the timing of the intercourse, to something more drastic like the mother and father didn't even meet (or don't they don't exist in the first place).

Too busy to put it more eloquently/detailed 😄

• Like 2

I got one, since dinosaurs have come up:

It's not uncommon for birds to either be very intelligent or some even have vocal cords capable of imitating human speech.

If dinosaurs are for the most part direct decendents of birds, how smart were they and how close were they to talking to each other with words instead of sounds like other animals (if they weren't already)?  I mean, they might not of needed a language we could recognize given none of them look like capable of writing (see trex hands) but could it of eventually happened if they weren't wiped out?

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Time travel and Earth's point in space is what complicates things. Although I suspect if you have the means to figure one out, the other isn't a problem. 

Hubby & I would talk about stuff like this for hours and because he was a damn genius, your post was usually where we ended up. :ols:

35 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This (the butterfly effect) and the unfathomable amount of negative energy (which we've yet to prove exists) needed to keep a wormhole open are two of the biggest reasons I don't believe time travel to the past will happen.  

Even if you solved time travel and opened a wormhole to precisely the time you wanted…. You’d struggle to know where the earth would be.  Get it wrong and you pop up in the vacuum of space… if you’re lucky.  Get it close, but still wrong, pop up inside a mountain.  

The problem is the earth, and everything in space we could use as a frame of reference, is moving.  And spinning.  And orbiting.  Earth is moving at like 70 thousand miles per hour around the sun.  Our solar a system is moving around the Milky Way at 450 thousand miles per hour.  The Milky Way itself is moving at wild speeds.  

So where was the earth 20 years ago?  If you’re off by a hundred yards, you die.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Even if you solved time travel and opened a wormhole to precisely the time you wanted…. You’d struggle to know where the earth would be.  Get it wrong and you pop up in the vacuum of space… if you’re lucky.  Get it close, but still wrong, pop up inside a mountain.  

The problem is the earth, and everything in space we could use as a frame of reference, is moving.  And spinning.  And orbiting.  Earth is moving at like 70 thousand miles per hour around the sun.  Our solar a system is moving around the Milky Way at 450 thousand miles per hour.  The Milky Way itself is moving at wild speeds.  

So where was the earth 20 years ago?  If you’re off by a hundred yards, you die.

And because we're talking about time, and in reference to the above, a very split second that I won't bother to compute could change everything. 

51 minutes ago, Destino said:

Yea, I'd say there's no evidence of a wormhole directly connected to earth (nor would we want that with the amount of energy involved).  But if you find one, please let me know : )

So this whole thing, if it happens, takes place in space with a spaceship.

51 minutes ago, Destino said:

All true, so we have to believe if we figure out how to pump negative energy into a wormhole to keep it from collapsing on us, we've also figured out stuff like FTL travel.

But you are right, how do we find earth?  Constellations look different from another star system, we'd have to depend on markers in space, like neutron stars.  100 years isn't that far off to completely screw us relative to finding earth, stuff is moving fast, but the distances involved make those seem like a brisk walking pace.

I hope one day in the future we make a beacon for our star system, for even after we leave, to help find it.  Won't help going to the past, but we should still do that if folks are making a black box for future visitors of earth.

Edited by Renegade7

27 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I wish George Carlin were still alive.  I think Chappelle and Burr are my favorite standups but I dunno...Carlin's stuff is timeless.

Burr's podcast is the jackpot among jackpots of comedy.  Definitely my favorite person alive.  We need to protect him at all costs.

Oddly enough, he gives great advice.  Sorta moonlighting as a therapist/psychiatrist.

His wife is funny as hell too.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 10:48 AM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Just bought a carton this morning.  First time in a while I’ve looked at how much they cost.  Holy crap!

Mine are only $60, (Marlboro 72s) but I guess it depends on which brand, etc.  I shopped around last year and they're cheapest at the drive thru convenience store on the opposite corner from work.  

Gonna really make the effort after these last 2 packs...otherwise, I would've grabbed a carton today.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I can't accept this. Would be hyped af, thinking I'm about to drop some game on Nefertiti, and she's got a literal armpit afro.

Devastating

I mean...would it be that hard to bring a razor with you in the time machine just in case? That alone might get you to the promised land with her if you whipped out some futuristic 5 blade razor.

• Haha 2

On 1/17/2022 at 7:00 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I wish George Carlin were still alive.

The world would be a better place if he were ♥️

George is the GOAT.  #1 all-time, not up for discussion.  This is a hill I'd gladly die on.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Edit

2 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I mean...would it be that hard to bring a razor with you in the time machine just in case? That alone might get you to the promised land with her if you whipped out some futuristic 5 blade razor.

More like hedge trimmers 🥴

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Haha 1

I don't know where you guys are certain they're going to be hairy though....the models looked pretty smooth in all of those Roman/Greek statues :ols: 

People like Cleopatra and Nefertiti probably spent all day being pampered too. If Helen of Troy started a damn war, she must be somewhat hot, even using today's standards.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2