Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

I think we, as a nation, should come together and make the holiday schedule work better.

Here is the current setup:

Friday, January 1 – New Year’s Day

Monday, January 18 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Monday, February 15 – President’s Day

Monday, May 31 – Memorial Day

Sunday, July 4 – Independence Day

Monday, July 5 – Independence Day (observed)

Monday, September 6 – Labor Day

Monday, October 11 – Columbus Day

Thursday, November 11 – Veterans Day

Thursday, November 25 – Thanksgiving Day

Friday, December 24 – Christmas Day (observed)

Saturday, December 25 – Christmas Day

Friday, December 31 – New Year’s Day (observed)

This coming Monday is President's Day which nobody I know even considers a real holiday.  It is the Monday a week after the Super Bowl.  So, first change, move the currently pointless holiday to the Monday the day after Super Bowl Sunday so at least it has some value.

Memorial Day and Independence Day I have no qualms with.  The timing of Labor Day is fine, but can't we find something to celebrate or commemorate other than "labor"?

Columbus Day and Veterans Day should be moved forward 1 week and 2 weeks, respectively, to keep them spaced out but also to have Veterans Day (which could be either a Friday or Monday) give us a 3 day weekend on or around Halloween.  I'm all for changing the name Columbus Day to something else, but whatever. 

Finally, thee website I copied and pasted the schedule from is obviously run by an idiot, Dec 24th is Christmas EVE not "Christmas Day (observed)."

My feeling is there should be about one holiday per month.  Currently there is nothing in March or April.  So no holidays between February 18th and May 31st, more than 3 months.  Too long.  There must be something other than Easter that can be celebrated in the spring.

And I'm fine with nixing Columbus day.  Make Election Day a federal holiday.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, China said:

My feeling is there should be about one holiday per month.  Currently there is nothing in March or April.  So no holidays between February 18th and May 31st, more than 3 months.  Too long.  There must be something other than Easter that can be celebrated in the spring.

And I'm fine with nixing Columbus day.  Make Election Day a federal holiday.

Arbor Day? 4/20 ? Earth Day?

April's got some of the best holidays. Go plant n smoke some trees. 😊

• Like 3
9 hours ago, clietas said:

Arbor Day? 4/20 ? Earth Day?

April's got some of the best holidays. Go plant n smoke some trees. 😊

I like where your head's at, sir 😎.   Imagine how much happier America would be if we all had a day off once a year to plant trees with our neighbors and then smoke together.  Marijuana is a unifier, uniting clans like Robert the Bruce.  

Bob Ross would approve.  🌲

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Anyone ever rent an RV?  Thinking about doing it to take my family and my brothers family (9 total) down to Hilton Head in late summer. 

What would be your reason to rent an RV instead of renting a house?  9 people would require a pretty large RV and rentals usually aren’t that nice.  And ones of that size are harder to find.

25 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What would be your reason to rent an RV instead of renting a house?  9 people would require a pretty large RV and rentals usually aren’t that nice.  And ones of that size are harder to find.

We are renting a house, for us plus 3 of my cousins’ families. Just need the RV to get there and back. I don’t want to do a 9 hour car ride with my 2 little kids where i have to drive the whole way. With an RV my 5 year old can move around a bit and my brother can drive halfway. 

So it doesn’t need to sleep 9, just fit 9, 5 adults, 4 kids. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
56 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Anyone ever rent an RV?  Thinking about doing it to take my family and my brothers family (9 total) down to Hilton Head in late summer. 

We rented an RV for 2 adults and 2 kids late this summer. We drove from South Florida to Wyoming and did Yellowstone and Grand Tetons for 17 days. I can tell you that it was an awesome time for all.

Pro’s and Cons...

Cons: It’s expensive. Driving is a chore, once you get used to a house on wheels, it’s not a biggie to drive. It’s just taxing on the driver. I was solo driving because I didn’t trust my wife to handle it. Depending on how many miles you are driving the expense can be minimized. Our distance priced it on the high end.

Pros: it’s a blast. You are driving a house with wheels, lol. The kids loved it. The parks were amazing. We hiked about 40 miles while at the parks. I wanted to give the kids there first real introduction to nature and what it’s all about. From that perspective it was invaluable. They pushed themselves farther then they imagined they could go. I built it up pre trip and we prepared by doing long walks of about 5 miles. Mind you our kids are 8 and 6, I wasn’t sure how they’d handle the challenge. But we finished every hike. The longest was a 8 miler. it’s one of those adventures you never forget. 

Given your distance won’t be too bad and you can share the cost with your brother, you have advantages. Lock in the RV sooner than later. Rentals are bonkers due to the pandemic. We went at the height of busy season and added to the cost. But again, it’s an experience. We rented from El Monte which is a national provider. Since we had never done it, we didn’t want to mess with someone’s Personal RV, given we had never done it. It worked out well.

any other questions, I’m here. Hope y’all have fun. 

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Thanks 1