Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Neil Peart

Spaceman Spiff

The Best. The dude wrote the soundtrack to my life. Now I get to add missing the final tour to my list of unfixable lifelong regrets...

My co-writer on the Last Mortal comic series, Filip Sablik, is VP of Publishing at BOOM! Studios where Rush published the Clockwork Angels graphic novel. We really geeked out when Neil came to the office to discuss the book. Filip kept texting me pictures of Neil in the meetings all day just to make me jealous. Apparently Neil was one of the rare guys who disproved the warning of never meeting your idols. Everything I heard was that he was amazing. The world just keeps getting darker.

I think the fact that they kept his sickness under-wraps is complete class. What else would you expect from such class individuals?  Why bring the pressure of attention to yourselves and your families when Neil is such an introvert?  As much as the man talked during interviews, that was his outpouring in the midst of his reclusive nature.  I can't stress enough how in-awe I am of not letting that out.  It relieved the fans of worrying and being depressed about the situation.  We receive the ultimate news, and we all mourn at once.  Brilliant, as expected.

Yesterday sucked. But now, I feel invigorated to explore stuff of theirs that I have put off.  We all know they have a library's worth of content.  I saw something on TV a few years back where Rush were doing comedy skits.  Pretty recent stuff. If someone could point me to that, I would be grateful.

I'm gonna be listening to Rush all day. 2112, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures for sure. 

I went through some of their back catalog in 2016 (Fly By Night, Hemispheres, Signals, Grace Under Pressure) but I haven't heard some of the classics all the way through since...not sure if I did during the 2010s, honestly. 

Talked to my dad today.  Asked him what was the worst musician-death he experienced.  Janis?  Jimi?  Bonzo?  No.

Lowell George of Little Feat.

I like how Afterimage and The Enemy Within were posted in this thread.  Grace Under Pressure was an album I had to discover when I was 17 years old.  Kept re exploring their earlier work up til then.  It's so exciting to know that there is so much Rush content I still have to discover.

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

That's in my top five. It's what the future will be like when combustion engine cars are outlawed...and it will happen at some point. 🤔

****in awesome song. Music and lyrics are perfect together, you can feel the chase. 💗

Actually thats almost exactly what I thought when I  heard the song.  I even thought it was vehicles which travelled on the *ground* being outlawed by the "Motor Law".  "Metal alloy air car, two lanes wide", I interpreted as a car which literally travelled in the air.  But when you read what Rush said about the song,  but it was really about the size/weight of the cars (kind of like SUVs) and smaller cars being "pushed off the road" in a sense.  There was a bit of a libertarian tone to what Rush said because the reason cars were getting bigger, was presumably because of safety mandates by teh government.  "At the one-lane bridge I leave the giants stranded at the river side" - the cars chasing the Red Barchetta, cannot cross the one lane bridge because they are too big.  

Archived