Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Neil Peart

Spaceman Spiff

I have been listening to nothing but Rush since last Friday.  

I never thought the loss of a man I never met would affect me so much.  Listening to their music now, it’s hard to believe that the lyrical poet and force of nature behind that drum kit is no more.  Among a few others, the music of Rush has been the soundtrack to my life.  I’ll never forget how happy I was to hear of their comeback album,  Vapor Trails, in 2002 after Neil’s personal tragedies.  Lesser men would never have come back from the tragic deaths of his child and wife, and I figured Once that happened they were done.  Instead We ended up with another decade and 3 more albums from Rush. 

Now Neil’s death at the relatively young age of 67 reminds me that nothing lasts forever... so enjoy every moment while you can.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:50 AM, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I paid $80 for this double-VHS tape.  Peart reinvented himself when he felt he reached his peak.  He went to train with an old sage of drumming and started from scratch.  Switched from left hand match grip to traditional grip.  The first 15 minutes or so of this video will improve your IQ by 50.

Peart could actually do a Triple Stroke Roll.

And he could do it so fast, that few people could even tell that he was doing triple strokes.

• 2 weeks later...

My interpretation of 2112:

2112 is about a man in the year 2112, where humanity has split in to two civilizations across planets - The Solar Federation and The Elder Race.  The man finds a guitar near a waterfall, and presents it to the Priests of Syrinx - who are the rulers of The Solar Federation.  The man thinks guitars could revolutionize their culture.  The priests wholeheartedly reject it.

The man gets pissed, plays an aggressive guitar solo, then goes home depressed.

He goes to sleep angry, hoping his dream shows him how to make the guitar part of his culture.  His dream is about the rival civilization - The Elder Race.  They are open-minded, artistic, and wanting to reclaim the planets that The Solar Federation have taken from them.

He slowly wakes up in a deep depression, because he doesn't want his dream to end.  When he finally accepts that he's awake, he freaks out.  He imagines how great living as an Elder Raceman would be, then he becomes suicidal.  Which he carries out.  Kills himself.

After that, an instrumental representing an incoming invasion from The Elder Race happens.  In the end, the Elder Race takes over.  "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation, we have assumed control."

Lesson to this is that art breeds strength and unity, IMO.

Lyric video:

1 hour ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

My interpretation of 2112:

2112 is about a man in the year 2112, where humanity has split in to two civilizations across planets - The Solar Federation and The Elder Race.  The man finds a guitar near a waterfall, and presents it to the Priests of Syrinx - who are the rulers of The Solar Federation.  The man thinks guitars could revolutionize their culture.  The priests wholeheartedly reject it.

The man gets pissed, plays an aggressive guitar solo, then goes home depressed.

He goes to sleep angry, hoping his dream shows him how to make the guitar part of his culture.  His dream is about the rival civilization - The Elder Race.  They are open-minded, artistic, and wanting to reclaim the planets that The Solar Federation have taken from them.

He slowly wakes up in a deep depression, because he doesn't want his dream to end.  When he finally accepts that he's awake, he freaks out.  He imagines how great living as an Elder Raceman would be, then he becomes suicidal.  Which he carries out.  Kills himself.

After that, an instrumental representing an incoming invasion from The Elder Race happens.  In the end, the Elder Race takes over.  "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation, we have assumed control."

Lesson to this is that art breeds strength and unity, IMO.

Lyric video:

Hey @d0ublestr0ker0ll you should probably check this out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 12:59 PM, clietas said:

Got my tickets last night. I love Rush, although I didn't get into them until the early 2000's. While I was growing up my dad always had the classic rock station on and all I heard were there hits, and I didn't respect them much. But as I got into my early 20's, I listened to a whole album of theirs, not sure which one at this moment, I think maybe it was Counterparts. And I started collecting their catalog and love it.

I got into Primus in the 90's and quit listening by the end of the 90's. They opened for Mastodon a couple years ago, and they were great on stage. They did a ton of jamming and I loved it. It made me like them all over again. I heard they covered Pink Floyd's Animals a while ago and people said it was awesome. Primus said it was their favorite tour to date. So I can't wait to see what they do with Kings.

Archived