Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical- Cincy throws a curveball and take Chase. Would you take Joe Burrow?

RichmondRedskin88

Absolutely yes or trade back. The Redskins do not have many selections but they sure have plenty of holes to fill. 

On 1/10/2020 at 10:13 AM, KDawg said:

And Burrow can hit the throws Haskins can.

Yes like a 5-6 yard out of third down. Haskins was missing those ready throws and often. If burrows is there you take him without hesitation or see who calls and offers their entire draft for him to trade up

1 hour ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

Absolutely yes or trade back. The Redskins do not have many selections but they sure have plenty of holes to fill. 

Yes like a 5-6 yard out of third down. Haskins was missing those ready throws and often. If burrows is there you take him without hesitation or see who calls and offers their entire draft for him to trade up

Entire draft is not enough. That means you're only getting one first rounder. 

3 hours ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

Burrows hasn't completed a single NFL pass, and you have no idea what Haskins will be. 

No. At worst, Haskins can be a game manager. If CIN takes Young, we need to take the best trade offer we get and run with it. If we can build a good enough team around him, Haskins might be able to Dilfer us all the way to another ring. If not, we can draft a replacement with a better team for the rookie than we had this year.

I'd like to believe that Haskins will show some good improvement next season, but I think he has too many flaws to be a successful QB.

2 hours ago, tibbidoe said:

No. At worst, Haskins can be a game manager. If CIN takes Young, we need to take the best trade offer we get and run with it. If we can build a good enough team around him, Haskins might be able to Dilfer us all the way to another ring. If not, we can draft a replacement with a better team for the rookie than we had this year.

Problem is, this defense will not be close to a Ravens-type defense. Dilfer rode the coattails of that historic defense, and in a couple games actually played well, but for the most part he blew dog. I like the d-line of the Redskins, but the rest of the defense needs a complete overhaul.

Sometimes the best way to help a defense is to build an incredible offense.

23 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Problem is, this defense will not be close to a Ravens-type defense. Dilfer rode the coattails of that historic defense, and in a couple games actually played well, but for the most part he blew dog. I like the d-line of the Redskins, but the rest of the defense needs a complete overhaul.

I despise talking about quarterbacks because it is the absolute most nuanced position in sports.

On one hand, you have heady stat monsters like Mahomes.

On the other you have statistically very meh guys like Dilfer and Manning (with the Broncos) who can outsmart anyone and their teammates would run through a wall for.

What is required of your quarterback is contingent on your roster. Your quarterback and your roster plan must gel. 

Dilfer was EXACTLY what that Ravens team needed to win at quarterback. A better quarterback likely costs them much more money and thus they dont have the same defense to build around. A lesser leader at quarterback means the surrounding talent doesn't deal with mistakes from the quarterback position as well and adversity rears its head early and often.

People are too quick to throw Dilfer under a bus like he was some scrub. Statistically the guy doesn't hold a candle to the greats. And he'll never be a Hall of Fame caliber kind of guy. But he was a winner and a guy that knew how to steer the ship and those are qualities that are often totally overlooked at the QB position. 

Leaders are extremely important. 

Dilfer is one.

I'm definitely taking the haul and a trade-down in this scenario. I mean, all day.

Burrow has this one electrifying year, it's true. Kinda like DH.

Haskins is young, has flashed immaturity here and there. Some folks on this board act like he's Jameis or something.

He's smart, really talented, and has huge upside. I'm excited to see what he can do in his first full off-season, with a no-nonsense NFL coaching staff.

Hail 'em up!!!

Some of ya'll need to ejumacate yourselves on the QB development process. Taking everything into consideration, including the nature of the offense Haskins ran at OSU and the quality of his teammates relative to most (Noticed I said most so don't point the two games he played against teams that could match OSU's talent as a rebuttal) of the competitions he's faced, these blanket statements declaring what type of player he will be are factually incorrect. 

Before we convince ourselves we need to take a QB at #2 (if Chase is taken #1) remember that Jimmy G and Ryan Tannehill are playing in their respective conference championship games next weekend.  Does this mean I would not rather have a franchise QB over a game manager?  Of course not, but I also recognize that taking a QB that high in the draft and them not turning out to be as good as advertised can be a killer.  

How ok with it would you be if we drafted Tua or Burrow and they turn out to be another Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith, instead of a Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees?   

Regardless of your thoughts on Haskins, it is still way early in his development.  Not sure it is a wise idea to immediately turn the page and then do it all over again when there is really no telling how a college QB will turn out in the NFL. 

8 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I'd like to believe that Haskins will show some good improvement next season, but I think he has too many flaws to be a successful QB.

He showed improvement during the course of a 3-13 season, with a coach being fired, no real TE weapons, 3 rookie WRs and our best OL sitting out.

Taking Burrow doesn't do much for the offense, unless you build around him.

Same goes for Haskins, except we've already got him to build around. Whatever he becomes, he isn't that yet. It's the job of the coaches/FO to put him in position to succeed/fail. Taking another QB is a waste of limited resources at this point.

If you can get several picks then I would trade the pick to another team so they can pick Burrow.  But if Turner and Zampese can tell Ron their assessment

early about Haskins then Skins could have the option of selecting Burrow or continuing to go with Haskins.  We have so many needs on offense right now

that the more picks we can get will expedite the rebuilding process for this team.

I was on the trade back scenario... But I have 2 other thoughts.

1. Taking Burrow Hostage.  (trade to an AFC team... looking atyou Pittsburgh)

2. or 2... there's a Corner who is getting a lot of hype right now, I can't remember his name.  whoever that is... yeah

otherwise trade back

On 1/10/2020 at 9:53 AM, Smurf3 said:

I would be willing to bet that Rivera considers Haskins to be an insurance policy in that part of his "hiring" was probably an agreement to stick with Haskins for at least the 2020 season. So if that doesn't work out Rivera can say that he simply had to play the hand he was dealt. Then they can go QB hunting for 2021 and have another year of grace. Great deal for Rivera, bad deal for the Redskins and Redskins' fans. What else is new? Maybe they could trade Haskins for Sonny Jurgenson. Only way out that I can see. Same ol' same ol". Rivera gone in 2 years.

How so?  Let's say the situation pans out just like you present it.  However they draft Young & Del Rio has the D playing lights out.  They also are somewhat improved on the O line, have a decent running game & the offense - while still not that good - is better than this season.  During all of this Haskins doesn't really improve & is average at best.

The record will probably at least improve & the team will be somewhat trending in the rt direction.  They make QB the # 1 priority in the 2021 draft.  I don't really have an issue with that & don't see it as a precursor to Rivera being fired after 2 seasons.  Hell Gruden lasted 6 seasons & only had one truly decent season.   Why do some Redskins fans have to present everything in a negative manner?  Love your enthusiasm.  Let's just see how this plays out.

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

I despise talking about quarterbacks because it is the absolute most nuanced position in sports.

On one hand, you have heady stat monsters like Mahomes.

On the other you have statistically very meh guys like Dilfer and Manning (with the Broncos) who can outsmart anyone and their teammates would run through a wall for.

What is required of your quarterback is contingent on your roster. Your quarterback and your roster plan must gel. 

Dilfer was EXACTLY what that Ravens team needed to win at quarterback. A better quarterback likely costs them much more money and thus they dont have the same defense to build around. A lesser leader at quarterback means the surrounding talent doesn't deal with mistakes from the quarterback position as well and adversity rears its head early and often.

People are too quick to throw Dilfer under a bus like he was some scrub. Statistically the guy doesn't hold a candle to the greats. And he'll never be a Hall of Fame caliber kind of guy. But he was a winner and a guy that knew how to steer the ship and those are qualities that are often totally overlooked at the QB position. 

Leaders are extremely important. 

Dilfer is one.

True, a QB has to be a leader, in one aspect or another. Dilfer's situation was a unique one, and one that would be extremely difficult to repeat. He did enough to not lose games, and he also had a hecuva RB in Jamal Lewis, but one other thing; he wasn't the starter for week 1, he came in mid-season because of Tony Banks, who was struggling { part of the point }, and as many QBs have done before and since, gave the team a spark replacing a starter. Brady's situation was similar.

The idea is, if Haskins doesn't show improvement, there is another QB waiting in the wings in Burrow. Its not set in stone that the Redskins would have to trade Burrow before week 1, they have { I think } up to about week 4? 5?, maybe longer, I'm not certain.

If Haskins DOES improve, most of the same teams looking for a QB will come knocking, and chances are some other starting QB goes down or plays poorly and said team starts to look for a QB. Meanwhile, with { hopefully } competent coaching having his starters on the field, we have a fairly good idea of what positions we need filled, and thus a draft pick{s} + one or more starters who could fill the immediate needs.

Its more or less a security policy. Yes, we could get some draft picks before draft day, and they could end up not panning out, but getting Burrow, keeping him on the team, starting the season and seeing how things work out and getting a better idea of exactly what positions are most important to fill.

On 1/11/2020 at 2:46 PM, Monk4thaHALL said:

The answer is that Haskins hasn't proven a damn thing to warrant the status of untouchable.

Yup, and I’d add that, now with Jay/Callahan/KOC gone and an entirely new offense being installed, the “stable system of development” has been reset to a large degree. Haskins is starting over (I know, not totally, but to a large degree). 

That’s always a big factor in assessing the QB position going into the draft. The guy you’ve spent time developing already, and where he’s at in that development, has increased value because of it. That has been diminished considerably now. 

So, for me, the answer in this hypothetical is that Kyle Smith has to ultimately decide who has the higher ceiling, if anyone does, and where Haskins is on the road to that ceiling.

If it’s not really close or Haskins has the higher one, obviously you stick with Haskins. Don’t spend another first rounder on the position and try to acquire a haul. 

If there’s a significant enough difference and Burrow (or even Tua or anyone else for that matter) has the higher one, then how long it’ll take for that guy as opposed to the “got one year of development in the NFL already” Haskins will be a factor. 

If it’s not even close and Burrow (or Tua or anyone else) is just that much better, you run to the podium and take him, even if it means you wasted a little time developing another guy and he’d be ahead of the new guy for a year or even two. 

Archived