Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical- Cincy throws a curveball and take Chase. Would you take Joe Burrow?

RichmondRedskin88

8 minutes ago, Newera said:

I think if you're the Skins you ask Cincy for first pick and Haskins.   For one.   Not even expecting them to say okay.   They could have Haskins and Young.    We win either way.   What’s Kyle Smith think.

Kyle Smith says no

7 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Tua >>>>>>>>>> Burrow.

I dunno. Burrow beat many more highly ranked defenses than Tua did and he just shredded one of the best defenses in the nation for 463 yards and 5 TDs. Even if Tua were healthy I have a feeling Burrow might still go before him at this point. Burrow to Cincy is an absolute lock. Nobody even knows if Tua will ever be the same QB again. 

44 minutes ago, Newera said:

I think if you're the Skins you ask Cincy for first pick and Haskins.   For one.   Not even expecting them to say okay.   They could have Haskins and Young.    We win either way.   What’s Kyle Smith think.

....why would the redskins ask the bengals for haskins? The bengals don’t have haskins 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Weren’t people saying the same **** about Baker Mayfield, and Winston, and ...

college means squat until they can perform on the big stage.

He’s a much better prospect but that doesn’t make drafting two QBs back to back and passing on Chase Young a good idea

Burrow played himself into the #1 pick tonight.  Great game for him and glad that LSU won.  Go Tigers!  If Cincy is silly enough to want to take Young over Burrow the compensation of picks the Skins get after the season and game Burrow had tonight will be mind blowing.  It might not rival the one we got from the Saints but it will be MIGHTY hefty.  

50 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

He’s a much better prospect but that doesn’t make drafting two QBs back to back and passing on Chase Young a good idea

The reality is there’s only a handful, if that many, “generational” QBs and we seem to throw that moniker around yearly now. It’s next to impossible to find one that can lead you to the promised land almost singlehandedly. I don’t think Brady can, or Russell or Burrow. Rodgers can, Brees can and so far it’s looking like Mahomes may be able to. The reality is your best chance at legitimately being a perennial super bowl contender is contingent on two things: Defence and depth. Obviously there’s a thousand factors for each including scouting, drafting etc, but the truth is a QB rarely turns around the fortunes of a team. Hell, Andrew Luck was the last true “guarantee” and he took over a team that had previously been consistent double digit winners. They wasted his talents because they simply didn’t have the team around him. No depth, no defense and no run game. I don’t care how good his numbers were, most super bowl winning QBs had meh seasonal numbers. You grab strong defensive players and build your depth. You lose a QB because you have no receivers or OL and very rarely can you compensate for that.

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The reality is there’s only a handful, if that many, “generational” QBs and we seem to throw that moniker around yearly now. It’s next to impossible to find one that can lead you to the promised land almost singlehandedly. I don’t think Brady can, or Russell or Burrow. Rodgers can, Brees can and so far it’s looking like Mahomes may be able to. The reality is your best chance at legitimately being a perennial super bowl contender is contingent on two things: Defence and depth. Obviously there’s a thousand factors for each including scouting, drafting etc, but the truth is a QB rarely turns around the fortunes of a team. Hell, Andrew Luck was the last true “guarantee” and he took over a team that had previously been consistent double digit winners. They wasted his talents because they simply didn’t have the team around him. No depth, no defense and no run game. I don’t care how good his numbers were, most super bowl winning QBs had meh seasonal numbers. You grab strong defensive players and build your depth. You lose a QB because you have no receivers or OL and very rarely can you compensate for that.

I didn’t say anything about generational he’s just a really good QB prospect It seems like every year the term generational for QBs but it’s called that for a reason. 

1 minute ago, Berggy9598 said:

I didn’t say anything about generational he’s just a really good QB prospect It seems like every year the term generational for QBs but it’s called that for a reason. 

I wasn’t referring to you, just the way he’s been talked about. Generational talents are guys that have always been elite from high school on. Players predicted early on to be the chosen one. Burrow, no one really thought much of until this year. He looks phenomenal, no doubt. Had a terrific year, no one will refute that. But it makes zero sense to me why we hit the reset button and waste another high pick on a qb. We’re going to have so many holes to fill and with no second rounder, it’s just foolish.

Burrow is definitely a better QB than Haskins, I think that is pretty obvious.  If by some miracle the Bengals pass on him (which they won't), then we should absolutely draft him.

People seem pretty high on Chase Young, so I'm going to trust them and be okay with that pick.  Saw zero Ohio State games this year so I have no clue.

6 hours ago, volsmet said:

Tua >>>>>>>>>> Burrow.

Love Tua.  And he might be but durability issues (even pre his last injury) will dog him until proven otherwise.  The Dolphin interest is ironic as for them figuring out the situation.  Their concerns over Brees injury made them bypass him for Culpepper.  And Tua in some ways (and in some ways not) reminds me of Brees.  

28 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If we were to take Burrow and then learn immediately that he is actually super raw and will take years to groom, then no.

By the way I fully expect that to happen, if he did drop to us. Trade the pick for a kings ransom.

He's not raw.

He reads defenses in his offense. But he does have some help. When he looks to the sideline he's not necessarily getting an audible. The coaching staff is signaling the coverage the other team is in. He does adjust very well when the defense rolls to something else post snap. So he's capable of reading. But that will be the sticking point for him. Mechanically, he is sound. And he has top notch accuracy and very good mobility. 

If he drops to 2, you use the entire clock, you listen to every phone call and you make a decision at about the 1 minute mark on the clock. 

7 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Weren’t people saying the same **** about Baker Mayfield, and Winston, and ...

college means squat until they can perform on the big stage.

No.  Burrow is bigger than Mayfield & has better skills & is much smarter.  Burrow played against some of the best defenses in the country while Mayfield was primarily going against crap defenses from the Big 12.

Winston?  Seriously?  His stats are not even close to Burrow & again his level of competition on D was less.  This is a no brainer for a team like the Bengals that has had mediocre or worse QB play for a very long time.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love Tua.  And he might be but durability issues (even pre his last injury) will dog him until proven otherwise.  The Dolphin interest is ironic as for them figuring out the situation.  Their concerns over Brees injury made them bypass him for Culpepper.  And Tua in some ways (and in some ways not) reminds me of Brees.  

Good pt.  However a lot of folks who made the decision on Brees have not been with the Dolphins for a very long time.

5 hours ago, skins2victory said:

I'd give the Bengals Haskins, Trent, Kerrigan, our 3rd rounder, and next years 1st, and 3rd for their 1st pick.

Then we pick Burrow with #1 overall and Chase with #2 overall. We get them both!

- Yes I know, it would never happen......

Haha. Yeah we'd get laughed out of the building with that noise.

I have watched Burrow twice before last night and was immediately struck by how even keeled and tenacious the kid is for lack of a better word.  And last night when his team got down, he wasn't rattled at all although they were pinned numerous times deep.  Mobile and mechanically sound.  It is impressive.  Strong traits in today's NFL.

No way Cincy passes on him.  I thought they might but I was wrong.  He is cool under fire. Some may not agree but Eli Manning has that same mentality in the playoffs.  You cannot rattle him.  NOT that I think Eli is more talented then Burrow, because he is not,  but you have to have that intestinal fortitude to be successful at QB in the NFL. It is not just confidence, it is something else.  It is a great trait that is undervalued that he brings to the table in addition to a solid skill set.   I think he is going to be quite good.

7 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I have watched Burrow twice before last night and was immediately struck by how even keeled and tenacious the kid is for lack of a better word.  And last night when his team got down, he wasn't rattled at all although they were pinned numerous times deep.  Mobile and mechanically sound.  It is impressive.  Strong traits in today's NFL.

No way Cincy passes on him.  I thought they might but I was wrong.  He is cool under fire. Some may not agree but Eli Manning has that same mentality in the playoffs.  You cannot rattle him.  NOT that I think Eli is more talented then Burrow, because he is not,  but you have to have that intestinal fortitude to be successful at QB in the NFL. It is not just confidence, it is something else.  It is a great trait that is undervalued that he brings to the table in addition to a solid skill set.   I think he is going to be quite good.

Yep.   Another thing - he threw the ball away several times last nt when there was no play.  IMO that is huge & separates him from Tua (at least at this time).  It is sometimes impressive when  a QB extends the play & makes a spectacular play.  However more often than not this leads to a mistake & more importantly can lead to an injury. 

This is magnified tremendously when a QB goes from college to the NFL.   Perhaps the latest injury will be a wakeup call for Tua & he will improve in this area.  Burrow at this time appears to realize that this is an important trait.

Archived