Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE ROB ROGERS AS SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL ADMINISTRATION

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

January 8, 2020

REDSKINS ANNOUNCE ROB ROGERS AS SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL ADMINISTRATION

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today Rob Rogers as the team’s new Senior Vice President of Football Administration.

“Rob Rogers is a skilled NFL executive who brings many years of valuable experience in contract negotiation and salary cap management to our front office,” said Washington Redskins Owner Dan Snyder. “He has a great working relationship with Coach Rivera and we look forward to his contributions to the Redskins."

“Rob was a tremendous resource for me over the past nine seasons, and I’m excited for him to be an integral part of building something special here with the Redskins,” said Washington Redskins Head Coach Ron Rivera.

Rob Rogers comes to the Redskins after 25 seasons with the Carolina Panthers, most recently as the team’s executive director of player finance and football research. In this role, he worked closely with the Panthers general manager on the development of player budget parameters, roster management, contract proposals, negotiation strategies and salary cap management. He also oversaw the Panthers football analytics department and worked on research and analysis of player contracts and statistics. He directly conducted the majority of contract negotiations with player representatives during his time in this role.

Before gaining the title of executive director of player finance and football research, Rogers was the director of football administration for 11 years (2008-18). He negotiated contracts for all of the Panthers first round and other draft selections during a 16-year span (2003-19) along with numerous free agents. He also worked with the front office on issues dealing with the NFL Collective Bargaining agreement and as the club’s liaison to the NFL Management Council, he kept the Panthers in compliance with all NFL personnel, contract and labor-related issues. 

Starting in 2013, Rogers worked on developing efforts in analytics, football research in personnel, opponent analysis and self-scouting along with sports science and next gen statistics. He developed the in-house salary cap management database and also designed the current pro scouting system in Carolina and in the mid 90s worked with in-house developers to design and implement the initial opponent analysis and self-scouting system. Rogers worked extensively with Coach Rivera in Carolina on on-going efforts to develop game management analysis and practices.

Rogers is also a member of the NFL Club Services Committee, which is a group made of various front office executives from around the league, tasked with providing guidance and feedback on technology integration initiatives to the development staff of the NFL Management Council. He has served on the committee since 2002.  

Rogers joined the Carolina Panthers in 1995 and worked as a quality control assistant along with helping out on the in-house business analytics team. He is a 1993 graduate of Harvard University and holds a degree in government.

So this guy is the Panther's version of Schaffer, but more of a "football guy". Seems fine, Rivera and whatever GM he hopefully has a future mind-meld with are gonna decide who to pay anyways, so you just hope that pair gives this guy smart marching orders, that's the extent of it. 

Snyder is really shaking things up and cleaning house.

My only small concern is bringing in all these Panther staff people Rivera knows.

It reeks a little bit of cronyism.

Will we be making fun of the "Carolina connection" the way we made fun of the "Tampa Bay connection" with Bruce Allen?

Time will tell. :)

5 minutes ago, SumTingWong said:

Schaefer slithers out the back door just in time for Rogers to skip a light fandango as he cartwheels in the front door.

This my friends is how one reshapes a culture.

Chris Russell is on the radio screaming about this guy being gone. Let's ignore the fact that he was here for 17 years of garbage. Not saying he was the cause, but he certainly wasn't part of the solution. 

Best of luck to him on his future endeavors. 

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Chris Russell is on the radio screaming about this guy being gone. Let's ignore the fact that he was here for 17 years of garbage. Not saying he was the cause, but he certainly wasn't part of the solution. 

Media guys hate when those they have long-standing relationships with are shown the door. It's not a coincidence that through 17 years most local media guys love to gush about how good and coveted Schaffer is. He knows how to play the game and so do they.

2 hours ago, TK said:

Starting in 2013, Rogers worked on developing efforts in analytics, football research in personnel, opponent analysis and self-scouting along with sports science and next gen statistics. He developed the in-house salary cap management database and also designed the current pro scouting system in Carolina and in the mid 90s worked with in-house developers to design and implement the initial opponent analysis and self-scouting system. Rogers worked extensively with Coach Rivera in Carolina on on-going efforts to develop game management analysis and practices.

Most excited about this (assuming he'll establish the same here). 

It was time for Schaffer.  Regardless of the voodoo he was able to do with the cap, and understanding he was probably following marching orders, he still has to take some culpability for some of the bad contracts, and dead cap space we've had over the years.  

25 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Media guys hate when those they have long-standing relationships with are shown the door. It's not a coincidence that through 17 years most local media guys love to gush about how good and coveted Schaffer is. He knows how to play the game and so do they.

Makes you wonder about the narrative of the spawn of Bill Belichick and Vnce Lombardi, legendary Kevin O'Connell coming from the DC media...

24 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Exactly!

Bruce Allen was essentially a tyrant by the end of his tenure at Redskins Park. No one survived in the front office unless they showed deference to Bruce, their dark master. Bruce allowed them to survive. Any misguided soul that came there and committed the unforgivable sin of attempting to to change things for the better was shown no mercy (Lafemina, McLoughlin etc.).

Redskins Park was a snake pit.

Some snakes don’t mind that you know they are snakes— I call them rattlers. Bruce was the prime rattler. He announced his sinister presence in an almost wickedly flamboyant manner that no one could misinterpret.

Other snakes are far more sinister and subtle in their dealings. They may appear to be  something else but behind the scenes outside the glare of scrutiny they strike with malevolent ferocity sinking their fangs deep into unsuspecting flesh the poisonous venom performing its foul task on its victim all  while appearing to be an honorable upstanding professional.

ABOVE ALL NEVER FORGET THAT IF THEY WEREN’T SNAKES BRUCE ALLEN WOULD NEVER HAVE ALLOWED THEM TO STAY THERE FOR SO MANY YEARS.

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Chris Russell going crazy about losing a source.  09DDAABD-93FD-426D-B945-37CAC0A70721.jpeg.527874f59fafc2d16c35ebdde8d921dc.jpeg

This is all positive. I’ve heard the “I’m worried about hiring all these Panthers” and giving various reasonable reasons as to why. But Guys, this is the way the world works. You have two guys equally qualified and you know one of them and have work with them for 9 years and the guys has been A1 at his job. It’s a no brainer. 

Shaffer did seem to find a way to survive for 17 years and by most accounts was great at his job. I thank him, pat him on the back and show him the door, if I have my own option ready to go. 

we wanted change, we are getting it.

I have no problem with him removing any and all from the previous regimes. In fact I am glad to see it. Clean house, no matter who it is. As for the FO personnel - especially stuff like Cap people and other general operational bring all the Carolina people he wants.

I am worried about the football staff being too Carolina centric. I get the entire working with people you are comfortable with so I expect a fair number of people from his previous staff. But let's keep in mind they did come apart this season and he underachieved on offense for most of his time in Carolina yet he is keeping most of that staff including promoting a guy to OC who has almost no experience.

We will see. Hope it works out. I am rooting for him.

10 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I have no problem with him removing any and all from the previous regimes. In fact I am glad to see it. Clean house, no matter who it is. As for the FO personnel - especially stuff like Cap people and other general operational bring all the Carolina people he wants.

I am worried about the football staff being too Carolina centric. I get the entire working with people you are comfortable with so I expect a fair number of people from his previous staff. But let's keep in mind they did come apart this season and he underachieved on offense for most of his time in Carolina yet he is keeping most of that staff including promoting a guy to OC who has almost no experience.

We will see. Hope it works out. I am rooting for him.

His DC didn't come from Carolina neither did his QB coach. Sure the OC is new, gotta start somewhere. Sean Mcvay had no experience as an OC and look at how things turned out for that guy.

6 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

His DC didn't come from Carolina neither did his QB coach. Sure the OC is new, gotta start somewhere. Sean Mcvay had no experience as an OC and look at how things turned out for that guy.

So where did I say the entire staff was Carolina. That would be the only reason to point out the obvious that there are a few people NOT from Carolina. I stated specifically Carolina Centric - that does not in any way mean they are all Carolina.

In fact I have stated repeatedly I really liked the Del Rio hire and I like Zampese - he has a good resume for developing QBs. The reason I did not want an inexperienced OC is that Ron already has enough on his plate and since his offense previously underperformed I would have liked to see a more experienced OC with  good track record instead of taking a chance on someone with almost nothing to suggest they can be a good OC outside of them not being KOC and their dad was a good OC.

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

So where did I say the entire staff was Carolina. That would be the only reason to point out the obvious that there are a few people NOT from Carolina. I stated specifically Carolina Centric - that does not in any way mean they are all Carolina.

In fact I have stated repeatedly I really liked the Del Rio hire and I like Zampese - he has a good resume for developing QBs. The reason I did not want an inexperienced OC is that Ron already has enough on his plate and since his offense previously underperformed I would have liked to see a more experienced OC with  good track record instead of taking a chance on someone with almost nothing to suggest they can be a good OC outside of them not being KOC and their dad was a good OC.

So if it's not "Carolina centric" where do you want the coaches to come from? Most new hires are going to bring in people they are familiar with, the majority of people available now are from other staffs that have been blown out from other orgs. There are only so many options. 

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

So if it's not "Carolina centric" where do you want the coaches to come from? Most new hires are going to bring in people they are familiar with, the majority of people available now are from other staffs that have been blown out from other orgs. There are only so many options. 

I would like to have seen at least a few more on off from other staffs - especially the OC. Again, I stated in the first comment I get that many will come from Carolina. And that's fine. I do find in hilarious that so many complained about the "Tampa" connection but are OK with the Carolina connection - which again on D I get it. Their D was consistently good outside a season here and there.

I would have preferred an experienced OC come in and bring most of their own people or some mix. It didn't happen so I will root for Scott to be the best - I totally hope he is amazing. But I have my concerns.

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I would like to have seen at least a few more on off from other staffs - especially the OC. Again, I stated in the first comment I get that many will come from Carolina. And that's fine. I do find in hilarious that so many complained about the "Tampa" connection but are OK with the Carolina connection - which again on D I get it. Their D was consistently good outside a season here and there.

I would have preferred an experienced OC come in and bring most of their own people or some mix. It didn't happen so I will root for Scott to be the best - I totally hope he is amazing. But I have my concerns.

Fair enough, we disagree but I get your POV.

Good luck to the new guy. Let's be honest how big of a deal can the cap guy be? NFL is an open market. If they offer Brandon a lower amount then his agent expects to get in the open market...good luck with getting him signed. And creating cap space can be done by any accountant. That's not crazy science. 

So I'm good and it's what people wanted. Clean the house. Get fresh culture in from the top to bottom. Last year we already released Scot Campbell right? So we don't have any "been here for 10 years" guys left? 

Archived