Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

China pneumonia outbreak: Mystery virus probed in Wuhan

Chinese authorities have launched an investigation into a mysterious viral pneumonia which has infected dozens of people in the central city of Wuhan.

A total of 44 cases have been confirmed so far, 11 of which are considered "severe", officials said on Friday.

The outbreak has prompted Singapore and Hong Kong to bring in screening processes for travellers from the city.

It comes amid online fears the virus could be linked to Sars, or severe acute respiratory syndrome.

The potentially deadly, flu-like Sars virus killed more than 700 people around the world in 2002-03, after originating in China.

The Wuhan health commission said on Friday it was investigating the cause of the outbreak.

In a statement on its website, it said it had already ruled out a number of infection sources - including influenza, avian influenza and common respiratory diseases - but did not mention Sars.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

• 2 weeks later...

Japan confirms first case of new China coronavirus strain

Japan has confirmed its first case of infection from the new China coronavirus that has killed one person and prompted a travel alert from the US state department.

A man in his 30s from Kanagawa prefecture, next to Tokyo, tested positive after being treated for pneumonia, Japan’s health ministry said in a statement on Thursday.

The man had been to Wuhan, in central China, where there has been an outbreak of pneumonia believed to be caused by the new coronavirus strain, it said.

Officials in Wuhan said last weekend that 41 people had pneumonia caused by the virus and a 61-year-old man had died.

The US state department issued a health alert update on Wednesday about travel to the Wuhan region, urging citizens travelling in the region to avoid contact with animals and animal markets or products, among other precautions.

CDC: 3 U.S. Airports, Including JFK, to Screen Travelers From China for New Virus

Travelers at 3 U.S. airports, including JFK Airport, will be screened for a new virus, potentially from China, effective immediately, the CDC announced Friday.    

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Homeland Security’s Customs and Border Protection will implement enhanced health screenings to detect ill travelers traveling to the United States on direct or connecting flights from Wuhan, China.

This activity is in response to an outbreak in China caused by a new coronavirus (2019 nCoV), with exported cases to Thailand and Japan.

First US case of Wuhan coronavirus confirmed by CDC

The United States has its first confirmed case of a new virus that appeared in Wuhan, China, last month, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Tuesday. The coronavirus has already sickened hundreds and killed six people in Asia.

CDC officials said the United States will be more strict about health screenings of airplane passengers arriving from Wuhan.

The patient, who is not being named, is in isolation at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, Washington. He is in his 30s and lives in Snohomish County, Washington, just north of Seattle.

He arrived at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport on January 15, before any health screenings for the Wuhan coronavirus began at US airports. He sought medical care on January 19. The CDC and Washington state are now tracing the people he was in contact with to see if he might have spread the disease to someone else.

"We believe the risk to the public is low," said John Wiesman, secretary of health for the state of Washington.

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yes, that “Coronavirus” is pretty catchy, and therefore it’s newsworthy. 

It’s certainly newsworthy, I don’t deny this.  I might have just caught a distinctly dramatic broadcast this afternoon and felt it was overblown. 

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

It’s certainly newsworthy, I don’t deny this.  I might have just caught a distinctly dramatic broadcast this afternoon and felt it was overblown. 

If I were in the news business, I’d keep a list of terrifyingly memorable names for diseases.  WAY more dramatic and overblown than Coronavirus or ****ing Bird Flu. Bird Flu pfffft. 

I’d name the scary ones **** like Godzillavirus and Tyrannosaurus Flu. 

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Sooo...are the symptoms of this virus from China that you post really, really odd, demented, gross, and obscure articles?

🤔

No the symptoms are a degenerative mental disorder you get from reading the articles posted from China.  :)

Edited by China

34 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If I were in the news business, I’d keep a list of terrifyingly memorable names for diseases.  WAY more dramatic and overblown than Coronavirus or ****ing Bird Flu. Bird Flu pfffft. 

I’d name the scary ones **** like Godzillavirus and Tyrannosaurus Flu. 

I think makesyourdickfalloffvirus should be reserved for the worst disease known to mankind to show we really mean business

• Haha 1

Trumpavirus

Symptoms:  degenerative dementia characterized by diminished mental acuity, speech with mostly blathering, rambling nonsense and an inability to speak without lying, and ultimately regression to a child-like state.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Destino said:

Media's really running with this one, but it doesn't seem to be all that terrifying.  Am I missing something?

The USA Today is there for you Des:

What is coronavirus, and should Americans be worried? What to know about the outbreak in China

The World Health Organization will gather a panel of experts on coronavirus Wednesday in Geneva, Switzerland, to determine whether a China-based outbreak constitutes an international public health emergency and how the outbreak can be managed.

China has reported 291 cases of the virus since December, most of them in the city of Wuhan. At least six deaths are blamed on the outbreak. The virus is spreading across China, and beyond: One case has been confirmed in Japan, two in Thailand, one in South Korea and one in the U.S.

Here's what to know about coronavirus:

What is coronavirus? What are the symptoms?
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as pneumonia to Middle East respiratory syndrome, known as MERS, and severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS. Common signs of infection include fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and death.   

4e147c2b-df33-4d85-a922-5602cbcdffdf-012

Should Americans be afraid of coronavirus?

"It’s more likely that you would encounter the flu compared to the coronavirus," Glatter said. "It’s the flu and measles which pose a greater threat to the global community at this time."

Is coronavirus contagious? How is transmitted?

The virus can be spread from animals to people. But it also can be spread by coughing, sneezing and through close contact with an infected person or an object carrying the virus.

Is there a coronavirus vaccine? What does treatment look like? 

There is no vaccine yet. Nine studies are examining coronavirus vaccine development.

"Development of vaccine is a complex process, and it's not going to be available tomorrow," said Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

While there is no particular treatment for the coronavirus, recommended measures are similar to those for cold, such as rest and drinking a lot of fluid.

Oh...good.   

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/08/the-rank-hypocrisy-of-trumps-ebola-tweets/595420/

On July 31, two days before Brantly was due to be evacuated (and almost a year before Trump began his campaign by descending down a gold escalator), Trump tweeted, “Ebola patient will be brought to the U.S. in a few days—now I know for sure that our leaders are incompetent. KEEP THEM OUT OF HERE!”

A day later he added, “Stop the EBOLA patients from entering the U.S. Treat them, at the highest level, over there. THE UNITED STATES HAS ENOUGH PROBLEMS!” And later that evening, “The U.S. cannot allow EBOLA infected people back. People that go to far away places to help out are great—but must suffer the consequences!”

The next day: “The fact that we are taking the Ebola patients, while others from the area are fleeing to the United States, is absolutely CRAZY—Stupid pols.” And also: “The U.S. must immediately stop all flights from EBOLA infected countries or the plague will start and spread inside our ‘borders.’ Act fast!”

Edited by visionary

8 hours ago, China said:

No the symptoms are a degenerative mental disorder you get from reading the articles posted from China.  :)

Damnit...wait...

You said degnerative.....ok...I thought you meant the person becomes a degenerate..and if that's the case then I must have had this for years...

• Like 1