Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to get a rapid test here in Virginia Beach this week.  We are going to see some family this weekend and felt like getting a test beforehand would be a smart idea.  I just assumed tests were more widely available than they are apparently.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to get a rapid test here in Virginia Beach this week.  We are going to see some family this weekend and felt like getting a test beforehand would be a smart idea.  I just assumed tests were more widely available than they are apparently.

I think the Delta variant (and spike in cases) has made getting the test a bit harder. Wonder if other locations like Chesapeake or even Suffolk would be easier...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Judges are determining medical care now?

Butler Co. judge orders doctors to treat COVID-19 patient with Ivermectin

A Butler County Common Pleas judge is ordering doctors at West Chester Hospital to treat a COVID-19 patient with Ivermectin, a drug commonly used as a livestock dewormer.

Judge Gregory Howard wrote that doctors treating 51-year-old Jeffery Smith "shall immediately administer Ivermectin" to Smith, according to court documents. Smith will receive 30mg of the drug for three weeks.

The case was brought to court by Smith's wife and guardian, Julie, after Smith was hospitalized with COVID-19 and placed on a ventilator in West Chester Hospital.

After Smith was on the ventilator for 19 days, Julie reached out to Dr. Fred Wagshul about Ivermectin usage to treat COVID-19, according to court documents. Wagshul prescribed 30mg of Ivermectin to Smith, but the hospital staff refused to administer this prescription.

Ivermectin has grown in popularity as a treatment for COVID-19 despite the Food and Drug Administration warning against taking the drug.

"Taking large doses of this drug is dangerous and can cause serious harm," the FDA wrote.

The FDA has approved the drug to be used in patients with intestinal strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis, two conditions caused by parasitic worms, as well as head lice. However, the administration has not approved the drug as a treatment for COVID-19, a viral disease.

"Animal drugs are often highly concentrated because they are used for large animals like horses and cows, which can weigh a lot more than we do—a ton or more," the FDA wrote. "Such high doses can be highly toxic in humans."

Click on the link for the full article

• Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

If you want a reason to worry in the DC area, we have friends working in pediatrics at Hopkins, and they are running out of beds.  The Baltimore/DC area is one of the areas of the country with multiple large hospital chains.  If an area with Hopkins, Georgetown, UM that ranks 6th in state's rankings can be facing a shortage of beds in pediatrics, I can only imagine how bad it is going elsewhere.  

Short note, do everything you can to keep your children from needing to go to the hospital.  Not that you wouldn't anyway, but let access to care influence your decisions.  It's not a usual problem about which we have to think in this area. 

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Try to get a pcr. Rapid has a high false negative rate. I got a pcr in Virginia last week and results were in within 24 hours

• Thumb up 1

Just now, tshile said:

Try to get a pcr. Rapid has a high false negative rate. I got a pcr in Virginia last week and results were in within 24 hours

I was able to get a PCR test appointment at a Rite-Aid for tomorrow.  Says results in 2-5 days.  I tried probably 10 other places before that and couldn't get an appointment for rapid or PCR test.  I think there needs to be a huge influx of testing capabilities.  No reason that if someone wants/needs a test, it should be hard for them to find one.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

We had to test my daughter this weekend due to a close contact at school.  CVS had the OTC test kit.  $12 per test (rapid PCR), two are in the kit (cost is $24 per kit).  They recommend you do them between every 36 hours. 

It was like a pregnancy test basically... 

It is crazy people are going the Ivermentcin (sp?) route when the government just spent a year to develop an effective vaccine and give it to US citizens for free.  Other countries are still jealous of what we have in America.  

Re: Testing

Coordinate with your dr. office.  I am sure they will not have a problem writing an order that is pushed to lab.  We recently had a COVID scare as a family and the Dr wrote up all of us and sent it to the lab, we walked in in the afternoon and got tested. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

A police captain who refused the vaccine and took the anti-parasitic ivermectin to combat COVID-19 dies from the virus

A Georgia police officer who frequently posted anti-vaxx messages on Facebook and took an anti-parasitic drug instead of a vaccine has died of COVID-19.

Captain Joe Manning, 57, of the Wayne County Sheriff's Office died on Wednesday after a short battle with the virus, according to local news station WSAV.

Edited by China

Feed store sells out of Ivermectin and blames customers trying to treat COVID-19

"It's just kinda common sense. Don't take horse wormer," says Shelly Smith, a manager at ATV&V Tack and Feed, where they normally stock and sell ivermectin.

Only problem is, they're completely sold out of ivermectin, the horse dewormer, and Manager Shelly Smith suspects a lot of her customers aren't using it as intended.

"I had a gentleman come in, he was an older gentleman, he told me that his wife wanted him to be on the Ivermectin plan. I immediately brought him over here, because at that time I had this sign hung up, and I told him this isn't safe for you to take," said Smith. "And he says, 'well we've been taking it and my only side effect is I can't see in the morning.' That's a big side effect, so you probably shouldn't take it."

Smith says the demand for the dewormer started increasing months ago, so she put out a warning sign.

bc25bf60-4514-4349-b6f0-98dcd9618658-med

"I don't want people taking Ivermectin, horse wormer, because it's horse wormer. This is not for humans to take, this is to treat parasites in horses," said Smith.

"These drugs are only intended for animals," said Dr. A.J. Mancha of Desert Pines Equine Center, who agrees with Shelly Smith.

He doesn't recommend any humans take ivermectin and most animals for that matter.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The take home tests are available but they get snatched as soon as the come in to most retail pharmacies.

6 hours ago, bcl05 said:

I just saw a patient in our cardiac ICU (in Minnesota) who was transferred from a large southern state because that state had zero ICU beds left.  

Interesting. So, if something like this were to continue, someone could find themselves with no hospital beds because of covid patients from another state 

very interesting. 

40 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'm watching local news (WSB). 

One hospital alone needs 170 more doctors.  Sheesh. 

Doctors were facing major burn out issues pre-Covid. Now they have more stress. I am not surprised.