Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:


Yes, I know. Doesn’t change the fact that we are under lockdown and those restrictions are hurting people to a degree.

Lockdown?

Don't tell me you're in a lockdown.

 

You don't have a clue of what a lockdown is then. It's way worse than what we're experiencing right now.

Right now is piece of cake.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:


Yes, I know. Doesn’t change the fact that we are under lockdown and those restrictions are hurting people to a degree.

 

!)  As has already been pointed out, we are not remotely close to "under lockdown".  

 

2)  And lots of things "hurt people to a degree".  "hurt to a degree" is simply another variation of "Well, the impact is not absolutely zero, so let's see if I can come up with the most melodramatic way I can phrase it, to try to justify why my snowflakeness is more important than the 1,500 people who are dying every day."  

 

Around 40 years ago, I traveled from Norfolk to Cape Canaveral, so I could sit in a VIP area of KSC, and watch a space shuttle launch.  (STS-7.  Sally Ride.)  I still remember that event, so it would be technically accurate to refer to it as a "life altering event".  

 

But if I'd been told that I couldn't go watch that event live, because it would save the lives of 100,000 Americans?  (And maybe a million with lifetime disabilities?)  I don't think I would have been roaming around whining about how they were "preventing me from living my life".  Or looking for other ways to try to blow the unendurable sacrifice out of proportion.  

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think its funny that probably the majority of the people who are in an uproar against the schools (and there is a legit debate as to what extent they should be closed) were, before the virus, were ****ing about how our schools were turning our youth into godless commies. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

!)  As has already been pointed out, we are not remotely close to "under lockdown".  

 

2)  And lots of things "hurt people to a degree".  "hurt to a degree" is simply another variation of "Well, the impact is not absolutely zero, so let's see if I can come up with the most melodramatic way I can phrase it, to try to justify why my snowflakeness is more important than the 1,500 people who are dying every day."  
 

 

not really. I’m sure there have been quite a few instances where a father or mother didn’t get to see his daughter get married or graduate ever because of the lockdown.  

 

I don’t want to say the lock down is just a bad as dying of Covid, because it’s clearly not.

 

The risk of dying or having serious complications from Covid IS small though.

 

The things we are talking about are two different things. It can be true that living without restrictions greatly increases your chances of dying and it can be true that the restrictions have a large negative impact on your life. It’s not an either or. Which i think was the point of the person who started this convo again.

 

53 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Lockdown?

Don't tell me you're in a lockdown.

 

You don't have a clue of what a lockdown is then. It's way worse than what we're experiencing right now.

Right now is piece of cake.


ok. Well, I compare pre-covid to now. Not to the worst possible scenerio. I think that’s reasonable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 In Every 800 North Dakota Residents Now Dead From Covid

 

Just two weeks after joining the growing list of states where at least one in every 1,000 residents has died from coronavirus-linked causes, North Dakota’s grim statistic has escalated: as of Tuesday, one in every 800 North Dakotans has been claimed by Covid-19. 

 

The North Dakota Department of Health confirmed 409 new cases and 27 additional deaths in the state on Monday, bringing the total death toll to 954 out of a population of roughly 762,000, or 0.97 in every 800 residents. 

 

Only two weeks ago—reporting the highest Covid-19 mortality rate in the world the week prior—North Dakota surpassed 769 deaths, joining a list now encompassing eight other states (New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Louisiana, Rhode Island, Mississippi and South Dakota) that have seen at least one Covid-19 death per every 1,000 residents. 

 

Around 79,661 people have tested positive for the virus in the state, resting North Dakota’s mortality rate at 1.5 deaths per 100,000 people, as of Tuesday.

 

EoK7fDwWMAIUhyT?format=jpg&name=4096x409

 

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

 

not really. I’m sure there have been quite a few instances where a father or mother didn’t get to see his daughter get married or graduate ever because of the lockdown.  

 

I don’t want to say the lock down is just a bad as dying of Covid, because it’s clearly not.

 

The risk of dying or having serious complications from Covid IS small though.

 

The things we are talking about are two different things. It can be true that living without restrictions greatly increases your chances of dying and it can be true that the restrictions have a large negative impact on your life. It’s not an either or. Which i think was the point of the person who started this convo again.

 


ok. Well, I compare pre-covid to now. Not to the worst possible scenerio. I think that’s reasonable. 

 

 

If missing your child's graduation makes you feel oppressed and you feel like you are in a "lock-down", then you have lived quite a privileged life. Seriously some people have no sense of reality. They live in their own little world of privilege and think everyone lives that way. As far as weddings - postpone them!!!  It's not that hard! I had two good friends do exactly that and it's their first marriage even though they are in their 50s! 

 

I had typed more, but I have grown to understand it's like talking to wall. Although in fairness to the wall, it listens quietly and doesn't make tone deaf responses. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The attitude that taking 6-12 months off of big gatherings is too much to ask is why 270,000 americans (and counting) are dead.  People like their convenience and familiar fun activities more than protecting their fellow humans.  I'm sick of it.  I've been working with covid patients for too long to have any sympathy at all for the people who feel inconvenienced.  

 

We have 4% of the world's population and 20% of the COVID deaths because people are too damn selfish to not gather for a while.  Our country should be ashamed.  What a pathetic culture of selfishness and thoughtlessness.

 

I stayed home for Thanksgiving and will do so again for Xmas.  I haven't been to a restaurant in 6 months.  It sucks.  Sure.  But it is what we absolutely have to do to keep people from dying.  Too many people won't do it, and people keep dying, more and more each day.  I'd rather not go to a restaurant than contribute to killing people.  

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

As far as weddings - postpone them!!! 

I’m in favor of the doing the paperwork and just planning your wedding for when it’s safe. 
 

the celebration can happen any time. You can get legally married now

 

the real issue is the bachelor party.  Cause if you’re legally married then... you’re not a bachelor...
 

im in that boat right now. It’s an interesting time to plan a bachelors party...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a difference between choosing to following guidelines despite hardship and accusing anyone who talks about the hardship of lockdown restrictions as being a murderer. You all are taking the second position. 
 

I wear a mask, social distance, wash my hands, follow the guidelines for the most part... but I am going to a restaurant as long as the governor says that’s ok and I am seeing my family and I don’t feel bad about it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

My governor is an idiot, so I'm not listening to him. 

Dr. Anthony Fauci is who I listen to.  And he says to stay put if possible. 


You can tell the people that would not to be able to go 6 months without even seeing land.  

 

We are special.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:


You can tell the people that would not to be able to go 6 months without even seeing land.  

 

We are special.

 

Everything is a mental game, just gotta push through it.  It starts with no A/C for P-week, in Orlando, in August.  :rolleyes:

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize in the grand scheme of everything this is low on the scale but someone just mentioned this to me

 

live performers going on with no crowd. They have to end their dance or whatever to no applause. I imagine that’s a difficult thing to deal with mentally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Model says Pa. could run out of ICU beds soon, Gov. Wolf says mitigation efforts will work

 

HARRISBURG, Pa. (WJAC) — With hospitalizations hitting record territory across the state, there is modeling that suggests the state could run out of ICU beds in less than two weeks.

 

The University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation model has been used by state and federal health experts to determine the course of the crisis.

 

The model of course, is not perfect, and it is a little bit out of date at the moment. Its most recent update was done on November 19th, when our current surge was still in its infant stage.

 

It also accounts for a smaller universe of ICU beds (1,044) than the state’s health department dashboard does (1,616, based on the dashboard’s statistics showing 967 adult ICU beds are currently in use and 649 are still available).

 

But even when accounting for the lower rates of the old model run and using the state’s higher threshold of ICU beds, the IHME model projects the state would hit its ICU bed capacity by December 12th.

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to post
Share on other sites

California megachurch pastor, 58, dies from COVID-19 a week after being hospitalized as his congregation continues to hold services

 

A pastor at a California megachurch which continued to hold services throughout the pandemic has died from COVID-19 complications a week after being hospitalized. 

 

Bob Bryant, 58, a pastor at the Water of Life Community Church in Fontana, fell ill with coronavirus symptoms while on vacation, according to the Daily Bulletin. He tested positive, as did his wife and their son, on November 22. 

 

Bryant, who had diabetes and high blood pressure, became severely ill and was hospitalized within hours of his diagnosis. He suffered a heart attack and contracted pneumonia before passing away on Monday. 

 

Click on the link for the full article

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio Department of Health now recommending those in Ohio avoid traveling to Ohio

 

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio has been added to the Ohio Department of Health’s COVID-19 Travel Advisory map, meaning the state is recommending Ohioans avoid traveling to Ohio, and those entering Ohio after traveling from Ohio are advised to self-quarantine in Ohio for 14 days.

 

12-2-2020-map.png

 

Obviously, outside of The Matrix or a Christopher Nolan movie, this is physically impossible. To be clear, you are free to move about the state, but the ODH recommends staying home except for necessary trips.

 

Click on the link for the full article

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

There is a difference between choosing to following guidelines despite hardship and accusing anyone who talks about the hardship of lockdown restrictions as being a murderer. You all are taking the second position. 
 

I wear a mask, social distance, wash my hands, follow the guidelines for the most part... but I am going to a restaurant as long as the governor says that’s ok and I am seeing my family and I don’t feel bad about it.

I do legitimately feel for certain business owners who have been adversely impacted by the situation, and hope that any future stimulus is smartly targeted to such people.

 

But again, do you hear many people who (correctly) acknowledge the economic impact also acknowledge the serious nature of the virus? No, they claim the virus is fake, the people who are counted as covid deaths actually died from something else, we haven't had any additional deaths this year than normal, etc. Its in people's own words.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Virginia has skirted the national attention for the outbreak but, not for long. 
 

Northam’s words were part of the national NPR rundown this morning. Echoing what I and others have been saying for a week or so now

 

which is that it’s not about the rooms, the ventilators, and ppe - the real crisis is staffing related. 
 

we’re a week out from thanksgiving. We’re not going to see the real surge that day caused for about another week or two, as people become symptomatic and we start seeing who they spread it to *after* they got back from thanksgiving. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, China said:

California megachurch pastor, 58, dies from COVID-19 a week after being hospitalized as his congregation continues to hold services

 

A pastor at a California megachurch which continued to hold services throughout the pandemic has died from COVID-19 complications a week after being hospitalized. 

 

Bob Bryant, 58, a pastor at the Water of Life Community Church in Fontana, fell ill with coronavirus symptoms while on vacation, according to the Daily Bulletin. He tested positive, as did his wife and their son, on November 22. 

 

Bryant, who had diabetes and high blood pressure, became severely ill and was hospitalized within hours of his diagnosis. He suffered a heart attack and contracted pneumonia before passing away on Monday. 

 

Click on the link for the full article

 

 

 

giphy.gif

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...