China

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

Feds release data on COVID-19 cases, deaths at nursing homes that state fought to keep secret

Federal data released Monday provides the first glimpse at how the COVID-19 pandemic has infiltrated nursing homes across the nation and in Arizona. 

Nationally, more than 60,000 COVID-19 cases have been reported among residents in Medicare-certified skilled nursing homes and almost 26,000 have died. One out of four nursing homes had at least one case; one out of five had at least one COVID-related death. 

CMS Administrator Seema Verma said the federal agency will post updated COVID-19 data weekly on its website, where the public can look up "specific nursing homes." This is the same information that the Arizona Department of Health Services refused to release and went to court to keep it secret, citing confidentiality under state law — a decision that was upheld last week by a Maricopa County Superior Court judge.

The federal data does not provide a complete picture of the pandemic's impact on long-term care facilities for two main reasons:

1) The data excludes assisted-living facilities because they are not regulated at the federal level.

2) Nursing homes are only required to report data from May 8 forward, though facilities can voluntarily report COVID-19 cases and deaths back to January. 

Click on the link for the full article

I remember that not so long ago articles were being written about the World War parade Philly allowed to go on in 1918.  How it caused so many more to die compared to St Louis which acted more responsibly.  

I was reminded this by the words of a well meaning sherif that joined the protesters in Flint Michigan recently.  He was quoted saying “I want to make this a parade, not a protest!”  The protests coincide with just about every states reopening.  The timing couldn’t be worse if you’d planned it for that purpose.  

Might want to buy an extra pack of TP and hand sanitizer while the stores are stocked up again.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I just tore up my stimulus check today.

You got a check?

We got a debit card.

Then we called to see the balance on it and we will be lucky if we can feed all 3 of us at McDonalds once with the card.  

I can't believe they event sent us anything.  Like why bother when it is such little money?

I also did not realize the $500/kid was prorated.  Apparently it is.

I pointed out to my son today that with 106k deaths from Covid-19 in the U.S., that is roughly 35 times the number of people killed in the attack on the twin towers in NY.  It is too easy to lose sight of the meaning when we start talking about large numbers, so I tried to put it in terms of something he vaguely understands was terrible.  He seemed shocked.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, purbeast said:

You got a check?

We got a debit card.

Then we called to see the balance on it and we will be lucky if we can feed all 3 of us at McDonalds once with the card.  

I can't believe they event sent us anything.  Like why bother when it is such little money?

This is from round 1 that everyone got.  Most people probably got it direct-deposited awhile ago with information from their tax returns, but I always end up owing more money come tax season, so I haven't given them direct deposit information.

Edited by PokerPacker

13 hours ago, purbeast said:

You got a check?

We got a debit card.

Debit card? For my kids that was for the unemployment they are collecting. If you filed your taxes with direct depoist then you got the money in your bank account. 

How is it prorated? We got $500 for each kid.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zskins said:

Debit card? For my kids that was for the unemployment they are collecting. If you filed your taxes with direct depoist then you got the money in your bank account. 

How is it prorated? We got $500 for each kid.

I don't know but we have one kid and didn't get even close to $500 total.

My wife has a separate unemployment debit card.  This was specifically for the stimulus bull****.  I've filed taxes with direct deposit for as long as it's been allowed.

Edited by purbeast

I got my stimulus check but it was only for 37.40 lol.  Also how come the media stopped covering the virus.  They are doing exactly what Trump wants.  Making the virus disappear. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I got my stimulus check but it was only for 37.40 lol.  Also how come the media stopped covering the virus.  They are doing exactly what Trump wants.  Making the virus disappear. 

The gap between the first wave and second wave isn’t particular sexy or entertaining.... gotta wait for the deaths to start creeping up and they cover it again... Also, ap the largest civil rights protests in, well, my lifetime is certainly something worth paying more attention to.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The gap between the first wave and second wave isn’t particular sexy or entertaining.... gotta wait for the deaths to start creeping up and they cover it again... Also, ap the largest civil rights protests in, well, my lifetime is certainly something worth paying more attention to.

right but at least acknowledging the numbers of cases, test being done, infection rates should be up on the tv.  This virus shut down the entire world for 2 months.  The civil right protests are a big deal but they can clearly talk about both at the same time.  This is why the media is a joke now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

right but at least acknowledging the numbers of cases, test being done, infection rates should be up on the tv.  This virus shut down the entire world for 2 months.  The civil right protests are a big deal but they can clearly talk about both at the same time.  This is why the media is a joke now. 

I thought it was funny that CNN took down their little tracker on the right-hand side of the screen once the riots started happening. Give the media something shiny and they run. 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I thought it was funny that CNN took down their little tracker on the right-hand side of the screen once the riots started happening. Give the media something shiny and they run. 

CNBC has the market tickers up all day regardless of what they have on.  

4 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

CNBC has the market tickers up all day regardless of what they have on.  

No I know...I just mean that CNN had those COVID stats plastered to the right-hand side of the screen until just about 1 week ago. 

13 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No I know...I just mean that CNN had those COVID stats plastered to the right-hand side of the screen until just about 1 week ago. 

They noticeably reduced their emphasis since the protests started, and they haven’t really put the screws to anyone involved about it either.  That’s unfortunate because the virus doesn’t care about politics or moral stances.  This isn’t just a bad time, it’s arguably the worst time in the last 100 years.  

I was annoyed watching the news yesterday when the entire concept of responsible behavior during a pandemic was turned on it’s head.  Protesters were called brave for putting their own health at risk.  I have no issue with them being called brave for facing down riot police, or for standing against oppression, but for being out in a pandemic?  That’s just insane. There’s nothing brave about spreading a plague.  Certainly not one that mostly kills people older and more vulnerable than those out in the streets with you.  

In a month or two, the refrigerated trucks parked behind hospitals will hammer home the point.

• Sad 1

@Destino

It's such a catch-22, man, how many folks protesting outside are doing so because they afraid they will be the next Floyd if they stay home?

It's torturing me saying you right and wrong at the same time.  Some folks don't want to sit home waiting to die later.

I agree on frustration with toal pivot of attention by the media, I knew at some point that graph of stats was going to come down after 100k dead.  At this point its whatever, we're talking milestones from here on out, 200k, 2million, etc.

• Like 2

Live Coronavirus News Updates https://nyti.ms/2XSKlGA

The number of confirmed cases is growing faster than ever as new hot spots emerge around the world.

The coronavirus pandemic is ebbing in some of the countries that were hit hard early on, but the number of new cases is growing faster than ever worldwide, with more than 100,000 reported each day.

Twice as many countries have reported a rise in new cases over the past two weeks as have reported declines, according to a New York Times database. On May 30, more new cases were reported in a single day worldwide than ever before: 134,064. The increase has been driven by emerging hot spots in Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.

Over all, there have been more than 6.3 million reported cases worldwide and more than 380,000 known deaths. More than a quarter of all known deaths have been in the United States. But the geography of the pandemic is changing quickly.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Destino

It's such a catch-22, man, how many folks protesting outside are doing so because they afraid they will be the next Floyd if they stay home?

It's torturing me saying you right and wrong at the same time.  Some folks don't want to sit home waiting to die later.

I agree on frustration with toal pivot of attention by the media, I knew at some point that graph of stats was going to come down after 100k dead.  At this point its whatever, we're talking milestones from here on out, 200k, 2million, etc.

A hard truth in life is that we don’t always get to be entirely right.  Something that’s perfectly justifiable from one perspective, hurts people from another.  

The protesters are right in what most of them are demanding.  It’s also right to point out that mass gatherings will kill a lot of people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Destino said:

A hard truth in life is that we don’t always get to be entirely right.  Something that’s perfectly justifiable from one perspective, hurts people from another.  

The protesters are right in what most of them are demanding.  It’s also right to point out that mass gatherings will kill a lot of people.

Ya, we're lucky when life gives chances to look at things as completely black or white.  The vast majority is different shades of grey at best from my experience.

Fauci is doing right thing not saying the largest civil rights protest in human history is a huge mistake having it during a global pandemic, that's not his job, even if there's some truth to that. I get where you coming from, I really do.

I'm not going to be the one looking for silver lining in expediting herd immunity, but I'm sure that's only a matter of time.

• Like 1

US coronavirus: Cases surge in south and west as crowded protests spark worries

Coronavirus cases continued to spread in parts of the American south and west in the past week as experts warn that packed protests could exacerbate the pandemic.

The early parts of the American coronavirus outbreak struck hardest in the dense metropolitan areas on the coasts, such as New York, New Jersey, Boston, and California. But the last few weeks have seen wider spread in inland states, including Arkansas, Texas and Arizona.

In Arkansas on Tuesday, Gov. Asa Hutchinson said there were 375 new positive coronavirus tests, the highest single-day number of new community cases. There are currently more people hospitalized with Covid-19 there than at any prior point.

"We continue to trend upward in the number of cases," Hutchinson said.

Arizona added 1,127 new positive Covid-19 cases on Tuesday, the state's highest single-day total in the pandemic. Texas, too, has seen over 1,000 new positive coronairus cases in six out of the last seven days.

In total, the US has over 1.8 million cases and over 106,000 deaths, both by far the most of any country in the world.

In addition, health officials have expressed concern about a renewed outbreak stemming from the nationwide protests against the police killing of George Floyd.

Click on the link for the full article

Here in Florida they've announced 1,419 new cases today, the largest single day increase since the pandemic began. Yet most of the state begins phase 2 of re-opening tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, VeroViper said:

Here in Florida they've announced 1,419 new cases today, the largest single day increase since the pandemic began. Yet most of the state begins phase 2 of re-opening tomorrow.

big deal with the number of new cases. how many of them are going to the hospital. More people are getting tested so naturally the number will be going up for a little while. 

5 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

You got me beat by a few bucks.  Did you get a legit check or the debit card?

When we were checking our balance on the debit card we expected it to be at least $500 cause of our son and I hadn't done any math on prorating it after you make above the threshold, but we legit LOL'd when we heard the balance.  Had to call back to be sure we entered the number in correctly.