China

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

16 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Two posts up..

At least he didn't have an accident and fall out a window. 

I was a "murder suicide"

95938054_10158783571776800_4045391397879021568_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_oc=AQlxtpQRYRde80DOfkA1Fi_G5INjj7xED2ulR_ezeQFkDrf652bgCDqnSUQ0dLIaHrGGd6RjrkZBupMhLCvXJ-sA&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=00775ed792958232a2e2cd6d925649d4&oe=5ED9C38E

Couldn't have said it better myself.

~Bang

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If their God won't wear a mask, the Trumpsters won't.  They will challenge anyone, who makes them wear a mask. To Trump, the GOP and their cult; the crisis is over. Time to get back to normal. They will rush to have vaccines that probably don't work.  Getting reelected is all that matters now. Live and Let Die, is the motto now.

Lives don't matter. Keeping power is all that matters.

Edited by Rdskns2000

24 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If their God won't wear a mask

Lower case "g"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If their God won't wear a mask, the Trumpsters won't.  They will challenge anyone, who makes them wear a mask. To Trump, the GOP anbd their cult; the crisis is over. Time to get back to normal. They will rush to have vaccines that probably don't work.  Getting reelected is all that matters now. Live and Let Die, is the motto now.

They seem susceptible to fake stuff...maybe if we circulated this it would take hold?

jesus-coronavirus-final.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, zskins said:

it was both. 

I don't think that's true. And, if it is, that was a ridiculous goal and should have been disputed. There's still no SARS vaccine and that was from the early-2000s. The primary goal was to try to keep the health care system from being overwhelmed. Since the curve has been flattened in most places, why wouldn't we slowly start to roll back restrictions and methodically open things up? If there's another uptick, we can react. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't think that's true. And, if it is, that was a ridiculous goal and should have been disputed. There's still no SARS vaccine and that was from the early-2000s. The primary goal was to try to keep the health care system from being overwhelmed. Since the curve has been flattened in most places, why wouldn't we slowly start to roll back restrictions and methodically open things up? If there's another uptick, we can react. 

While SARS and COVID-19 are very closely related there are some major differences which lead to why one is a huge pandemic with over 70,000 US deaths so far and over 260,000 so far in the world, and the other had under 800 deaths worldwide. Those differences are also the reason COVID-19 needs a vaccine and one was never developed for SARS.

https://theconversation.com/the-mysterious-disappearance-of-the-first-sars-virus-and-why-we-need-a-vaccine-for-the-current-one-but-didnt-for-the-other-137583

How are they different, and how is that impacting the course of the pandemic? SARS-CoV-1 was more aggressive and lethal than SARS-CoV-2. However, SARS-CoV-2 spreads faster, sometimes with hidden symptoms, allowing each infected person to infect several others. The current estimate is about three, but we scientists won’t know the real number until we can test a lot more people, and can understand the role of people without symptoms.

The most important difference is that contact tracing – or finding out who was exposed to someone infected with the virus – was relatively easy: Everyone had severe symptoms in two to three days. With SARS-CoV-2, it takes about two weeks for symptoms to appear, and many people don’t have any symptoms at all.

So with SARS its high lethality, early onset of symptoms, and consistent onset of symptoms basically proved to be its undoing. A vaccine was being tested but then SARS pretty much disappeared after successful containment and mitigation. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That is a fine but it has to be done in the right way. And one of those right ways is to have proper testing in place and available to know right away if there is an increase. And no that does not mean testing every person. 

But it does mean developing a statistical model for testing that gives the best confidence that you will see an increase in time to keep the spread minimal. Take VA for example. They have what appear to be sane and very slow steps to reopen the economy except one glaring omission - they don't discuss testing other than counties with no new reported positives. So you can get zero new cases by not testing. Is that really zero cases? 

It should be something like the % of people with symptoms at a certain level (let the experts decide that) must be tested and of those tested X % must be negative And then that number must be steady or no climb for so many months. 

But the current approach since we still do not have proper testing commitment is just open up and hope like hell no one dies. Not a good plan from my perspective. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

i bolded what i'll reply to if you've read the thread routinely for awhile you'll see that's pretty much where the large majority of regs are....

major concerns are about the details like it being done "methodically" as you endorsed, and more important adjectives in that lane

and then it's the obvious aforementioned issues with the clots of "trumpy political" people actually choosing to aggressively counter, even interfere directly with,  other folks' following cdc or state gov safety measures, depriving those folks of better efficacy in those strategies...so those folks actually, responsibly, minding the guidances are having their own health/life put even more on the line by the selfish ignorant types even in the places still dealing with higher at risk/higher incident status

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That is a fine but it has to be done in the right way. And one of those right ways is to have proper testing in place and available to know right away if there is an increase. And no that does not mean testing every person. 

But it does mean developing a statistical model for testing that gives the best confidence that you will see an increase in time to keep the spread minimal. Take VA for example. They have what appear to be sane and very slow steps to reopen the economy except one glaring omission - they don't discuss testing other than counties with no new reported positives. So you can get zero new cases by not testing. Is that really zero cases? 

It should be something like the % of people with symptoms at a certain level (let the experts decide that) must be tested and of those tested X % must be negative And then that number must be steady or no climb for so many months. 

But the current approach since we still do not have proper testing commitment is just open up and hope like hell no one dies. Not a good plan from my perspective. 

Thanks for your response. 

New cases have been accumulating all along without testing. Plenty of people are being diagnosed with this and not being tested. What is the clause about "counties with no new reported positives" anyway? Are those the only counties eligible to begin to reopen? 

Seems like the conversation above should be in the Re-opening the economy thread.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Thanks for your response. 

New cases have been accumulating all along without testing. Plenty of people are being diagnosed with this and not being tested. What is the clause about "counties with no new reported positives" anyway? Are those the only counties eligible to begin to reopen? 

I will take my response to the re-open the economy thread as @China makes a good point. 

• Like 1

What is with these Dollar General customers. Saw this FB. An old man was told to wear a mask when entering and proceeded to lick the clerks face and walked back out.

8 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

What is with these Dollar General customers. Saw this FB. An old man was told to wear a mask when entering and proceeded to lick the clerks face and walked back out.

Poverty isn’t good for mental or physical health.

8 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I don't know, but I will relay what I've seen in Orange County, VA over the last 6 weeks.  Driving by Dollar General the parking lot was packed and people appeared to not be social distancing.  That may be more of a rural thing, as I saw the same at other stores nearby.

5 hours ago, goskins10 said:

The people most forgotten are the workers at those grocery stores and gas stations and elsewhere. Many have no choice. Other peoples carelessness put them in direct danger. It's a callous self-centered act to ignore social distancing for most any reason but certainly just becasue you want to go have fun. 

I appreciate the work most of these people are doing more than I can properly express, but a couple days ago I was in my local Food Lion, where a number of the workers did not have masks on. One of the unmasked workers walked within inches of me as I was self checking out. I gave her a “that ain’t six feet,” that was summarily ignored. 

It’s this willful ignorance that is going to lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths nationally, I believe. And, possibly, the next civil war, as it seems to be the battle cry for today’s gop.

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If their God won't wear a mask, the Trumpsters won't.  They will challenge anyone, who makes them wear a mask. To Trump, the GOP and their cult; the crisis is over. Time to get back to normal. They will rush to have vaccines that probably don't work.  Getting reelected is all that matters now. Live and Let Die, is the motto now.

Only to predictably push their anti-vax conspiracy theories. Bank on it.